Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

1/2 hourly bus shuttle- "fester"ing problem? Options
marksullivan
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:00:46 AM
Groups: Guest

In Sept. 09, I wrote about the Tyagarah change:
...Which I s'pose brings me to my view- the convenience/reliability/functionality of transport will be the key for me. If BF get that right I'll adapt.
The website now advises:This bus service will run every half hour (subject to traffic).
I ain't no NSW Govt Transport MP, but that seems awfully slow and likely to lead to the following probs:
Congestion throughout the day going in and at the end going home; long queues; crowd issues accentuated by possibly "tired and emotional" festers pushing in; relieving themselves out of desperation; noise etc. Those at the end of the route on the way in will watch many full buses drive by as they cannot fit more folk on; standing in the rain; unable to be where you plan to be; temptation to drive (and drink) out of frustration... Hopefully the shuttle will be constant and if people are to have confidence in it, organisers will need to ensure it hits the ground running on thursday. We booked accommodation when the move was still uncertain. We don't want to change the booking. Bluesfest is about good music, good vibe, surf, spontaneity and is a holiday. I am hoping the bus shuttle does not give festers the blues.
I assume the buses out of Byron will travel to the new site past the old Belongil site. Is this correct??
comanche
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:37:41 PM

There's a blues song somewhere in all of this...

If John Lee Hooker were still with us, I'd bet he could write something pretty good about this situation.

Blues festers, let's get one together based on the concepts in the original post...

I went down to bluesfest today, to listen me some blues...
I went down to Tyagarah today, to listen me some blues,
But the bus aint running on time,
So I just had to use my shoes...

...next verse please...

hipgrave
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:06:40 PM

Someone smarter than me can write the next verse, but the following may be of interest to car and bus travellers:

The ECBRF website used to say that the new Tyagarah site is 9km north of Byron Bay. They have now fessed up to 10KM. That may be true if you are a crow, but the festival site entry off the highway is actually 14 km by road from the Byron Bay Beach Hotel. Mr Google calculates the driving time as 17 minutes, but that’s on a good day - see http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Bay+St,+Byron+Bay+NSW+2481+(Beach+Hotel)&daddr=Byron+Bay+Sky+Diving+Centre,+Tyagarah+NSW+2481&geocode=Ca5vuSFhsf8gFSb3Sv4dPfgnCSFA3PAWKFp0pA%3BFR7KS_4dJOgmCSHrE-Y2LDnfKw&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=-28.405231 . Over Easter, and allowing time for the bus to park, fill up, drive, park and then discharge, the trip could be close to an hour long.

The Tyagarah Sustainable Community Allliance has made available on their website (http://www.tyagarah.org/) various traffic studies commissioned for the new festival site, and those interested can wade through them all.

A report commissioned by the Byron Ratepayers Association (see http://www.tyagarah.org/blog-files/bluesfest%20holland%20traffic%20report.pdf) reviews the ECBRF’s own traffic studies and comments that private vehicle access to the site and carparking, especially in wet conditions, is likely to be a s***fight (as KRudd would say). It concludes:

From the viewpoint of traffic operations, traffic safety, acceptable parking provision and management, and sustainability, the proposal as outlined in the available documents … is unacceptable in terms of:

• potential hazard to the travelling public (particularly through traffic on the Pacific Highway);
• likely detrimental impacts on ease of local movement and access to existing local businesses;
• high potential for overflow of parking demands onto the nearby road system;
• an undue reliance on private car, rather than pedestrian and/or cycle, travel.

Notwithstanding all the above, the lineup will overwhelm all these potential negatives. Lets just hope it doesn't rain .....
marksullivan
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:35:04 PM

went down to bluesfest today, to listen me some blues...
I went down to Tyagarah today, to listen me some blues,
But the bus aint running on time,
So I just had to use my shoes...

Me shoes were shite from trench foot in '09
And while I know it ain't polite to whine
As each full bus passes by
I rue my digs being at the end of the line
At the end of the line

Now if Tyagarah is to do for the blues
what viagara has done for the blue pills
And the wireless for "Blue Hills"
It's 3rd announcement will be Paulini and Mussolini
So we can get to the blues on buses unstressed and on time
Unstressed and on time...
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:41:36 PM
Groups: Member

the tyagarah site is 9klms from the belongil site-checked it on speedo and gps last thursday.as half the distance is highway,the extra 9 klms took
aprox 10 minutes.
many festival goers will stay at belongil fields,byron tourist van village or other accomodation on the northern side of town.(if they have any sense)
not many festival goers will be staying at the beach hotel.
for festival goers travelling from bangalow,lennox etc the trip will actually be quicker (via the highway)
the best option ,if travelling in groups is always have a designated driver.arrive at the festival early.

lighten up-your logistics are all possibilites,not probalities.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:24:14 AM

Staying at Brunswick this year, so hoping that the shuttle bus does the trick. Though as part of a group, I'd be prepared to sacrifice a day of drinking in order to drive (but only if it was the last realistic option). Maybe we can charter a helicopter? If enough people chip in, I'm sure it won't be too strenuous on the pocket.
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:21:33 AM

I too am staying at Brunswick, punting on less traffic in this direction.

How cool would it be to chopper in!!! Count me + 1 in if it is at all doable.

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
drwildare
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:31:44 PM

Staying in Mullumbimby this year had enough of the daily trek up from Ballina of the previous two years since I dont drink except once in a blue moon I will take the option of driving in everyday.

The Dr is in the House
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:21:16 PM

dont know about a chopper from bruns. but theres definately one you can get from ballina to right next door to the festival site.
while on extravagence,the prize for the two ticket holders from newcastle is a beauty.5 nights at peppers resort @salt. we stayed there for new years eve.very relaxing.if any one knows them tell them to upgrade to a plunge suite-with your own plunge pool-pure decadence!!!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:34:25 PM

If the bus back to Byron is going to be every half an hour at the end of the day/night,then that is a joke.
For the last 2 years back at Belongil,I have rented a place in town and have walked back if capable,on the couple of times we took the fairly regular bus,there were still many idiots who did not like standing in line and tried to push in and there was minimal security input and nearly several fights,luckily this got self regulated without too much drama..I have no idea how many people will be trying to get back to town this year,but I would think that common sense and perhaps some care shown to your patrons would mean at a minium,one large bus departing every 15 minutes.
I would like to embrace the Helicopter idea,but I thought that maybe Thunderbird 2 landing behind the Rails and taking lots of punters on from there,would be a better option.
Rabbitoh_1969
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:19:29 PM

I've booked my accommodation in Byron but have some friends who have now decided they might come and were looking to stay in Brunswick. I rang Blanch's Bus Company today and they told me that they have taken over Brunswick Valley Coaches who do the bus route for Brunswick. The guy was really nice but basically told me that they wouldn't have any info on the actual timetable until much closer to Easter. If the timetable isn't suitable perhaps some of you guys staying in Brunswick could organise a car pool (instead of the chopper) ;-)!
coppinafield19
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:27:23 PM

I'll be crashing in the suburb of new brighton this year and if the peeps staying in or around brunswick, ocean shores etc want to car pool ...i think that would be a grand idea ... the nightmares of catching the buses back in previous years was bad enough but now we can count on all of those that decided to walk in previous years also trying .... It will get nasty especially if it rains
visionbus
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 3:25:24 PM

We will be running a 12 seat charter bus to the festival. Your group can book us and we will make sure you get to and from the festival on your schedule.
Give us a call 0405275743 or Email us
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 6:09:43 PM
Groups: Administration

Before you purchase vtickets from 'private' bus companies - it would be a good idea to get them to provide information about them being apoproved to enter the bluesfest site. Otherwise - you may find you will be dropped just within our site - with a very long walk in front of you
Our approved bus companies are listed on our website - at this time - no other private companies have either agreements or approval to enter the Bluesfest site
Thanks
BBoard admin
richo
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 9:24:27 PM

You're saying there won't be a reasonably close dropoff point for taxis, parents etc.?

Because in the past when staying in a large house out of town we've chartered a minibus for the trip into the festival... I'd hate to think people in this situation will be left with an excessive walk ahead of them.

skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:18:56 AM

wow this is scary. Can you clear this up asap about the drop off point we have children also.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:20:07 AM

Is there going to be an extensive map released soon im sure that will clear alot of q/a's up.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:35:44 AM
Groups: Administration

It is fine to drop off or pick up persons in private vehicles- there will be a taxi stand as well.
unauthorised bus company's will have a drop off point just inside the main gate - authorised bus company's drop off/pick up point - which is where the taxi stand also is - is located 200 metres from the southern entrance
thanks
Bboard admin
wildthing
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:33:47 AM

We are staying at The Arts Factory again. They have a shuttle bus that takes you to Bf several times a day, but only picks up after the end of the nite. Was $6 return. I don't know now that the site has moved, what the arrangement is.