Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What? Didn't Anyone Go To Woodford?? Options
hipgrave
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 12:06:34 PM
Groups: Guest

I can't believe I was the only Forum reader there??
1Bindoggie
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 12:14:59 PM
Groups: Member

I dont believe it either ;)
sbetts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 3:05:19 PM

I was at Woodford. My 1st time, and was very impressed with the set up and the organization, although the music was not all to my taste, there is such a diverse range of entetainment, its very difficult to find fault with this massive festival. Well worth having a look at.

Sarah
curlyloc
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 3:09:11 PM

Rest of us NSWers got stuck either a) in the Pacific highway traffic (bloody hell, 5 hours between Bulahdelah and Kempsey) or b) in floods further up . Thank god we r flying to BF

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
arbee0
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 7:32:03 PM

Comments on 3 major players

1 - Blind Dog Donnie - Bindoggie, where have you been hiding him (and the young band) ?!
2 - Grace Barbe - a MUST for Bluesfest
3 - to Gen Y'ers - yes, Splendour is now at Woodford but not till July - the Woodford Folk Fest in Dec/Jan wasn't it .. ok?

1Bindoggie
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:24:44 AM

arbee0 wrote:

1 - Blind Dog Donnie - Bindoggie, where have you been hiding him (and the young band) ?!

Been playing the "Live At The Shire Tea House" cd on air for awhile mate

Thats the legandary Blind Dog Donnie, founder and creative force of Lil Fi & the Delta Rhythm Kings, bluesfest legends and one of the greatest of Australian blues bands and more recently Blind Dog & The Reverend who released the very good "Love And Pain" 6-7 yrs ago

If you can, Id also recommend you see if you can track down a copy of Blind Dog Donnies "Knucklebone Revelator" release from 4-5 yrs ago
curlyloc
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:21:42 AM

arbee0 wrote:
Comments on 3 major players

3 - to Gen Y'ers - yes, Splendour is now at Woodford but not till July - the Woodford Folk Fest in Dec/Jan wasn't it .. ok?

Arbee, the Gen Y'ers are taking over everything! Very different feel to BF 09 due to their presence....been lots of talk in this forum about age limits on entry!

Thank god we still have great blues pubs in the Hunter like the Wicko and the Junkyard which the annoying ones do not frequent.

PS article in Sunday's papers re the increase in number of festivals to cater for the demand...got me thinking about hosting an invite only small blues festival in the bush...

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
Sharleen7
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:25:55 PM

We went for the whole festival this year - had a great time! Like Sarah said, not everything was to my taste, but there was plenty to love. Conversely, there is something for everyone there and the young'uns didn't really bug me too much either. They are pretty well behaved at Woodford. I was down in front with them for John Butler and they were very polite! The festival site is big enough to be a village in it's own right, so there's not really a lot of sound bleed from stage to stage; there was only one time we were subjected to bad music while eating late at night next to the doof tent... It's not all about the music at Woodford, either, as you can see from my pictures - there's also comedy, circus acts, sideshows, freak shows, lots of stilt walkers in costume, glowing lantern puppets, films, and of course great friends, and good vibes all around.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/nancytrattler/WoodfordFolkFestival0910#

Some of my favourite acts:

MamaKin - she's a sultry, swampy torch singer with a cracking band, some great songs and a lot of heart!
Tinpan Orange - they go hand in hand with MamaKin and are doing another tour together in February. Great quirky songwriting, very nice guitar & violin, lovely singer, and the addition of Harry from Cat Empire on keys & trumpet was the icing on the cake!
Nicky Bomba - our very dear friend, Nicky played a set of some of his own tunes from his wonderful new CD Planet Juice as well as some classic reggae songs with various band members that he had met on site, one of whom was the very entertaining Mal Webb, the human theremin. He is always so much fun to see and dance to - a hugely talented man with a big heart.
John Butler Trio - the new trio with Nicky on drums & Byron on bass has a great synchronicity and sounded great. When all three of them started banging on the drums at the end of the set, it was a chicken skin moment!
Extended Family - I must confess I had dismissed them in the past cause I thought they had a silly name, but we really enjoyed dancing to their funky tunes - they are a good time party band with loads of funk to spare. Groovy horn section, a visually striking lead guitarist who's got the chops and a very soulful singer with a great set of pipes, all held together by a solid rhythm section.
Jim Conway's Big Wheel The legendary harp player Jim Conway, previously with The Backsliders, has assembled his dream band and they had some wonderful songs to share with us. We own both their CD's and their live performance did not disappoint.
Rapskallion Some gorgeous gypsy mayhem, this crew helped bring in the New Year with a definite bang!
Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro Seriously funky grooves from Japan – a little big band with a great sound – they had the crowd on their feet and screaming for more!
Mister and Sunbird A collaboration of 2 bands, Mister and Sunbird (thus the slightly odd name) from WA, they put out some sweet sounds, slightly folky and very pleasing to the ears.

EXCESS in Moderation
waffles
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 5:48:38 PM

great photos,sharleen.
hopefully with more room at tyagarah,we could bring back some carnival acts-eh peter?
i miss the dragon and the stilt people.on of my fondest memories of bluesfest is being swallowed by the dragon-sea serpent thingy.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:46:15 PM

I was swallowed by the same dragon,the reaction of the 2 guys sitting either side of me made for a fun time - seems the had dropped something called microdots- lol.I stuck to the erbal smokes & it freaked me out enough!
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 8:53:18 AM

Thanks Sharleen for the report. I have been very curious to find out how Nicky Bomba will go with JB, so it was interesting to hear your review. I think Nicky is a hugely under-rated performer in this country, but I have to say that Bomba and Nicky solo have played very little outside Melbourne in recent years....really looking forward to catching JBT at BF only because Nicky will be playing!

And a question re Extended Family - did Dallas Frasca used to sing with them?

Sharleen7
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 9:05:51 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, Waffles and my report, Curlyloc. I don't know if Dallas used to be with Extended Family. We've been lucky enough to see Nicky solo and with some of the various Bomba Boys a few times this past year - he plays at the Byron Bay Beach Hotel about twice a year usually and he's also played gigs at the Step Inn in Brisbane and at Island Vibes festival. His gigs are always a lot of fun and very entertaining.

EXCESS in Moderation
drwildare
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 11:30:39 AM

The Dr didnt attend Woodford due to medical conditions. Instead I spent the week stuck in bed with my leg elevated and receiving antibiotics to fight off a blood condition. I dont know whether I would have attended Woodford anyway as in previous years I have been disappointed with the festival and the way the programmed was set out. Also as I have already spent $1,000 already on concert and festival tickets this year I decided the budget could not afford the woodford trip.

The Dr is in the House
gerardf
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 12:30:40 PM

Did you happen to see Daniel Champagne Sharleen? I haven't seen him yet but he's been recommended by a friend.

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk
youngbill
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 12:44:36 PM

Curly - If you don't already have it I highly recommend the Ross Hannnaford Trio cd - you get Ross, Nicky and Howard Cairns. Maybe from Transmitter (?) records or the Daddy Cool site.

I had to buy two copies so I could share the love!
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 1:56:07 PM

Thanks YB - have just ordered it from Transmitter, based on your expert recommendation....

arbee0
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 8:48:23 AM

1Bindoggie wrote:
arbee0 wrote:

Been playing the "Live At The Shire Tea House" cd on air for awhile mate

Thats the legandary Blind Dog Donnie, founder and creative force of Lil Fi & the Delta Rhythm Kings, bluesfest legends and one of the greatest of Australian blues bands and more recently Blind Dog & The Reverend who released the very good "Love And Pain" 6-7 yrs ago

If you can, Id also recommend you see if you can track down a copy of Blind Dog Donnies "Knucklebone Revelator" release from 4-5 yrs ago

Thanks Bindog - I really should get out more eh? - and also be more often in places where I can at least stream the program
waffles
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:17:45 AM

Lil Fi is doing a gig today(sunday)at the TYALGUM pub with JAMES T (ex canned heat) and a couple of other bands whose names escape me right now.i think it 2-7 pm.TYALGUM is west of murwillumbah,in a nice part of the country. appently FI now lives in this area.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Sharleen7
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 10:43:07 AM

gerardf wrote:
Did you happen to see Daniel Champagne Sharleen? I haven't seen him yet but he's been recommended by a friend.

Sorry Gerard - I missed him... I think he was on early one day at the blues stage?.... I'll keep an ear out for him, too.

EXCESS in Moderation
katieforfree
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:31:31 PM

Twas there for last 3 days only. It is a very different festival from the bluesfest. I enjoyed it this year as I had not been for 7 years. I saw good bluegrass good guitar and the food is in itself a festival. The lantern featival is allways my favourite event there and this year the music at it was great.

I also enjoyed Jim Conways Big Wheel and some caught alot of comedy acts as well. Woodford for me is not all about the music as the bluesfest is. I guess it is because I am away from home. All in all I guess I will return to Woodford when I feel the urge. I keep returning to bluesfest year after year because of the music and despite the conditions.