Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jazzfest 2010 Options
repete
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:13:32 PM
Groups: Member

Just released. Nice bill....very, very nice:

Aretha Franklin, BB King, Van Morrison, George Clinton, Allman Brothers, Govt Mule, Levon Helm, Baba Maal, Jonny Lang, Elvin Bishop, King Sunny Ade, The Campbell Brothers, Black Crowes, Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi, Anita Baker, Jeff Beck, Pearl Jam, Elvis Costello, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Steel Pulse, a whole heap of others plus of course all the great New Orleans/Louisiana greats.

Who's going next year.....?

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Paul_Busch
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:53:18 PM
Groups: Guest

Only if I win lotto....I wanna get back to the Bowling Alley
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:41:35 AM

Wow - that is a line up! I know I've asked before, but welcome tips on when to buy tix, where to stay etc.

And Paul, surely this'd be the time for a freebie that you mentioned in an earlier post :)

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
E.K
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:40:53 PM

Pearl Jam :o

Maybe they'd also like to do Bluesfest. :)
sbetts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:09:08 PM

I'll be there, this will be my 4th its totally awesome. Wow what a couple of months Byron, New Orleans then off to Austin for a little R & R (yeah right).

Cant wait

Sarah
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:47:59 PM

E.K wrote:

I say this as a long time, and huge, Pearl Jam fan -

How in the hell did you go straight to them on the list?

Meantime, that line-up is an absolutely stellar showcase of Americana. Another "not to be missed" that I will sadly miss
izzy965
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:30:10 AM

awesome lineup, now that's what i call a festival
davidmoses
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:37:25 AM

curlyloc wrote:
Wow - that is a line up! I know I've asked before, but welcome tips on when to buy tix, where to stay etc.

For this year's Jazzfest, we stayed at Block-Keller House for first weekend and The Lafayette Hotel for the second weekend.

Block-Keller House (http://www.blockkellerhouse.com) is not in the thick of things (it's a 10 min cab/tram ride) but was within walking distance (20 mins) of the festival and is run by a really nice guy (and his beautiful dogs).

The Lafayette Hotel (http://www.lafayettehotel.com) was more central and also very nice - 10 min bus ride to the festival. Every Wed night (I think), there's a free mini-festival in the park adjacent to the hotel. Great jazz, great food (very NOLA).

If I had to choose one, I'd go with Block-Keller House. Tell Bryan that David & Louisa (the mad-crazy-Aussie-DMB fans) said hi. Oh and have a cochon delay, rosemint iced tea and many, many crawfish for me :-)
curlyloc
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:56:27 AM

Thanks for the tips. Now to try and get leave from work...why is it that when you have do have the money you don't have the time and when you have the time you don't have the money?!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
E.K
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:11:54 PM

ScottM wrote:
E.K wrote:

I say this as a long time, and huge, Pearl Jam fan -

How in the hell did you go straight to them on the list?

Meantime, that line-up is an absolutely stellar showcase of Americana. Another "not to be missed" that I will sadly miss

Me too. Plus it's top news on www.pearljam.com Did you go to any Pearl Jam shows last month? I saw them in Brisbane.

As I said in another thread a girl I know through Facebook got to meet Eddie and the band twice during the recent tour and said Mr Vedder would be interested in bringing his solo show to Bluesfest. Someone needs to tell Mr Noble. :)
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:42:14 PM

E.K wrote:
Did you go to any Pearl Jam shows last month? I saw them in Brisbane.

I was at the divisive Sydney show. Blew out my own voice in giving the crowd assisted singalong that Eddie requested. I had a great time, even if I was hoping to never had to suffer through a stadium show like that (esp in 40 degree heat). They are a band committed to their fans, but I worry that there would be an expectation of Ed's solo show that it would be a Pearl Jam greatest hits. The furore at them not playing "Betterman" or "Alive" in Sydney was quite remarkable given that they played a career spanning set filled with ample songs from the best-of collection. I digress, since we are getting off topic.

Love to see Levon make the trek. The sooner the better I figure.
E.K
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:33:10 PM

ScottM wrote:
E.K wrote:
Did you go to any Pearl Jam shows last month? I saw them in Brisbane.

I was at the divisive Sydney show. Blew out my own voice in giving the crowd assisted singalong that Eddie requested. I had a great time, even if I was hoping to never had to suffer through a stadium show like that (esp in 40 degree heat). They are a band committed to their fans, but I worry that there would be an expectation of Ed's solo show that it would be a Pearl Jam greatest hits. The furore at them not playing "Betterman" or "Alive" in Sydney was quite remarkable given that they played a career spanning set filled with ample songs from the best-of collection. I digress, since we are getting off topic.

Hmm.. not sure how sales were for the Into The Wild soundtrack here but he does throw in a few Pearl Jam hits according to the latest show in Hawaii this year:

Set list: Walking the Cow, (Brain Damage)/Sometimes, Don’t Be Shy, Girl From North Country, Elderly Woman, Picture in A Frame, Far Behind, No Ceiling, Guaranteed, Rise, Driftin’, Soon Forget, Can’t Keep, Betterman, Bobby Jean (Springsteen), You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, Let My Love Open the Door, Millworker (instrumental), Lukin, Porch
1st encore: Society, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Till the Rivers All Run Dry, Golden State, Forever Young, The End, Arc
2nd encore: Hawaii ‘78, Hard Sun

Anyway maybe we better start another thread for Pearl Jam / Eddie Vedder discussions. :)
richo
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:37:44 PM

The Sydney setlist was changed to replace the final encore (which was meant to contain Alive among others) with all covers, I assume because of Eddie's flu and failing voice by that stage of the show. That said it was still a great show, though the Brisbane show (the other I saw on the Australian tour) was far better, simply because Eddie was in much better health.
coppinafield19
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 7:23:21 AM

This Jazzfest line up is seriously only average ...I tell you what it needs ...It needs a world exclusive announcement ...Maybe jack johnson
Sharleen7
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 10:11:43 AM

You're funny, coppin'.... With a moniker like that, you can be sure I'll never to turn my back to you!

Reading through the line up for Jazzfest, I can almost taste the Crawfish Monica! There is a lot there to tempt me - I wish we were going, but it's not looking very likely - we're still trying to pay off the plastic from our last trip!

EXCESS in Moderation
izzy965
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 3:03:30 PM

hahahaha watch it coppinafield the forum admins don't like cheap shots they might pull you off, ah sorry i should say delete your post. i wouldn't want to imply that they are wankers
coppinafield19
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 4:53:59 PM

I cant help it ....i was born a shit stirrer ...i will die at the hands of the admin at shit stirrer, Btw-I love bluesfest have been attending for many years now and wouldnt miss it for the world, actually i'm putting together a band that will be seeking a gig next year ouselves ..so maybe i should pull my head in... bring on byron and bring on new orleans, I'll be at both :)
regards
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 8:46:56 PM

Anyone who has not been to Jazzzfest before.I would be delighted to offer any assistance if needed.
I have been 4 times over the years and have by sheer luck ran into Repete there, at Byron at Airports and various other music venues.
It must be his low key clothing that does it.
But seriously if you are a music fan and have the cash at present,all I can say is do it why you can.
You will not be disapointed.
repete
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 11:38:02 PM

regards wrote:
Anyone who has not been to Jazzzfest before.I would be delighted to offer any assistance if needed.
I have been 4 times over the years and have by sheer luck ran into Repete there, at Byron at Airports and various other music venues.
But seriously if you are a music fan and have the cash at present,all I can say is do it why you can.

Hahahahahahaha....g'day! Why not catch up in the bluesfest bored, we catch up everywhere else! You back in the country?? Doesn't the lineup for next year's jazzfest look amazing? Wish I was going but we have just moved houses, contract ends next June....blah blah blah. Dammit...it's tempting...you going? BTW Christie says a big hello. I'll try and find your number and get in touch...email has crashed on my antique pc.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:26:09 PM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:

Hahahahahahaha....g'day! Why not catch up in the bluesfest bored, we catch up everywhere else! You back in the country?? Doesn't the lineup for next year's jazzfest look amazing? Wish I was going but we have just moved houses, contract ends next June....blah blah blah. Dammit...it's tempting...you going? BTW Christie says a big hello. I'll try and find your number and get in touch...email has crashed on my antique pc.

Hi Mate
I hope that you guys are well,please give Christie my best wishes.
RE Jazzfest I am in,lucked out on a good deal on a 2 bedroom condo in the QTR which I am sharing,so my individual cost is less than I payed for a single hotel room this year.
I am glad to be home,but have been busy by my miserable standards.I am sure that I have your mobile number somewhere so I will give you a yell.
I am now about to book accom for Bluesfest 2010,as usual I have no idea if any of my friends will come,but the lineup looks great and even though Out Back Jack Johnson does not inspire me,so I will watch some one else and hope that his fans,show respect to those artists,that perform prior to him.
Cheers