Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

FYI Cops crack down on festival drugs Options
RaucousReg
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 6:45:22 PM

Groups: Member

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/cops-crack-down-on-festival-drugs-20091203-k8am.html

Cops crack down on festival drugs
December 3, 2009 - 3:59PM

AAP

Police are continuing to charge scores of revellers with drug offences at music festivals across NSW.

In the lead-up to more than five major summer music and dance festivals across Sydney, police have reminded those attending that drug activity will not be tolerated.

During last weekend's Stereosonic Dance Festival at Sydney's Moore Park, one person was charged with drug supply and another 68 were charged with drug possession, police said.

Superintendent Luke Moore said police would maintain a high profile at such events and would continue to lay charges as necessary.

"Drugs are a scourge on society and pose a real risk to people's health and we'll be doing everything we can to stop dangerous and illegal substances being taken into these events," Supt Moore said in a statement on Thursday.

"This is not about us being the fun police, it's about ensuring the tens of thousands of people heading to these big events over summer can enjoy themselves in a safe, secure and drug-free environment."

Drug-detection dogs, mounted police and riot police will attend this weekend's Homebake festival at The Domain in Sydney this weekend, with high-ranking officers hoping the number of charges laid will be down on last year's 72.

© 2009 AAP

namaste
RR
skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:24:13 PM

Riot police hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Its us against them........ hahahahahahaha!

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
1Bindoggie
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:02:14 PM

RaucousReg wrote:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/cops-crack-down-on-festival-drugs-20091203-k8am.html

Superintendent Luke Moore said police would maintain a high profile at such events and would continue to lay charges as necessary.

"Drugs are a scourge on society and pose a real risk to people's health and we'll be doing everything we can to stop dangerous and illegal substances being taken into these events," Supt Moore said in a statement on Thursday.

"This is not about us being the fun police, it's about ensuring the tens of thousands of people heading to these big events over summer can enjoy themselves in a safe, secure and drug-free environment."

RR

The ghost of Joh Bjelke Peterson is strong in that one

Cant remember the last festival I went too at which I didnt feel safe and secure. In fact if anything, its the sight of cops harrassing punters that makes me feel unsafe and insecure
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 2:23:03 AM
Groups: Guest

I'm with you on that one.
Give me back the old days when the the the cops would stay to one section of bf & do a walk through & more or less ignore the odd smokeing of a joint or 2.
But then again this year i saw more people takeing yippie pills(as i call e'm) than iv'e ever seen at bf. But of course times change i suppose.
I agree with you that i didn't feel unsafe just at times a little pissed off with some of the constant(harmless) chatter of some.
Paul_Busch
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 6:57:45 AM

C'mon...you can move away from chatter....just get closer to those PA's!
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 11:44:39 AM

Paul_Busch wrote:
C'mon...you can move away from chatter....just get closer to those PA's!

Some can, but some can't.
johnnymac
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 2:12:50 PM

Bingo,
You are sensational at times!
waffles
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 5:22:19 PM

ditto on that one !!!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 5:35:35 PM

From what I have seen at Bluesfest,there will be thin pickings for the Drug Dogs.

Alcohol is by far the biggest drug problem in Australasia.
We have seen a continual widening of its availability and consumption in society.
The Australasian Authorities would be better advised to concentrate their thought patterns in this area.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
katieforfree
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 6:10:01 PM

I could not figure out why there was so much talking at this years festival. It was a real pisser.
waffles
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 6:44:23 PM

kff-where you been girl?

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
katieforfree
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 6:52:12 PM

Waffs
Hiding in the hills- but I am back and have just bought my tickets.
colinsid
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 7:01:52 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:From what I have seen at Bluesfest,there will be thin pickings for the Drug Dogs.

"Alcohol is by far the biggest drug problem in Australasia.
We have seen a continual widening of its availability and consumption in society.
The Australasian Authorities would be better advised to concentrate their thought patterns in this area."

At Narooma there was an overly large police presence & some of these were from liquor licencing. They were there to inforce the "resposible service of alchohol" as part of the festivals licence. This was done by making sure that drunk people weren't served & people badly drunk were kicked out.

I would expect this to happen at Bluesfest as well.

To me this is all over the top both for drugs & alcohol because both events are safe & in over 10 years of going to both event have not seen any fights or incidents. It seems like a complete waste of police resources when weighed against the risk or danger.

drwildare
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 11:01:28 PM

Drug crackdowns at festivals is nothing new hell they did it in the 60's and 70's. As for RSA I fear people pay it more a lip service than anything else. I mean if you owned a bar would you stop selling to someone when you know by doing that you are affecting the bottom line. I actually wouldn't mind the fest to be an alcohol free zone.

The Dr is in the House
c0kebloke
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 2:59:29 AM

drwildare wrote:
I actually wouldn't mind the fest to be an alcohol free zone.
The Dr is in the House

The only thing i find more annoying than a boring drunk would be an even more boring wowser.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 1:42:10 PM

I agree that the Police presence at Narooma was a complete waste of resources for both 2008 and 2009.
The security guards had little enough to do,without any police presence.
The mandatory presence of a certain number of police is clearly political.
In reality it was a social outing for the police and I did have a friendly talk to two of the lady cops who were having a relaxing day watching the music.

In this town of 7500 I live in,there are 22 police,and thus I am used to a heavy police presence.
Last night there were six police cars driving up and down the main street and around the back streets.
Plus I saw the booze bus leave the station around 6pm heading somewhere.
You break any minor traffic rule at your own peril.
Driving a conspicuous car is only asking for increased attention.
It is a police state,just as Narooma has felt for the past two years.
Since I was breathtested twice in one day,and my next door neighbour got caught DIC for the 3rd time[made the fatal mistake of encountering a powerpole on the most recent occasion] I have given up drinking alcohol.
If you out driving all the time,with the introduction of early morning breathtesting,it is just not worth the risk.

By comparison,difficult areas like South Auckland get little direct attention,as judging by the last rare weekend when they had a traffic blitz ,they picked up around 200 illegal vehicles/drivers who by and large wouldn't tend to pay the fines.

In my experience,police presence tends to be heaviest where it is least needed.
If you live in a thinly populated area where there is little serious crime you are under the spotlight as the quota system has to be met,thus anything minor is ticketed.
In a big city, where there is alot of serious crime due to criminals tending to congregate where they are less conspicuous, policing tends to be very low key on a proportionate basis compared to rural areas and small towns,and minor offences do not get the same attention.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 3:16:13 AM

Had a few drink driving stories in the local paper of late here as well.
One woman in the ACT blew well over 0.3! first thing the cops did after seeing her reading was call the ambo's as they were thinking she may slip into a coma.
Another was seen in the town i live in parked on the median strip drinking from a cask then drove off smashing into cars trees & through a fence.
someone following kept an eye on her & called the cops who managed to catch up with her as she entered her driveway.

The record for the highest ever level is an amazeing 0.914-or 0.608 depending on what info can be believed(i'm thinking the lower reading as it's still a doozy) that record belongs to a 39-year-old Bulgarian man.Even more amazeing is the fact that he lived, but i bet he had a hell of a hangover.

On a more personal note my nephew recently blew over 0.2 & has no license.
I advised him to pull his finger out get of his duff & get a job as the least he's looking at is a large fine.
Toward the end of our conversation he started to sound more than a little blase about it so i left him with a final thought
"you may want to pack a tooth brush before going to court,oh & don't forget the soap on a rope"

As for riot squads at festivals i think the only reason they would be needed at a fest full of potheads would be if the food stalls ran dry.

Them munchies can be a bitch at times.
cundy8
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 8:55:22 PM

the day that i can't sit with friends, share a doobie and listen to good blues music in byron bay is the day that i stop attending bluesfest.
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 1:38:41 AM

I think that day shall arrive sooner rather than later the way things are going.
I go to bf for the music & consider a drink,smoke & meet 'n greet with others the iceing on the cake but given the choice would prefer to do all 3.
Paul_Busch
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 8:31:39 AM

cundy8 wrote:
the day that i can't sit with friends, share a doobie and listen to good blues music in byron bay is the day that i stop attending bluesfest.

I could not agree more....Now my name is on the door, please check his bags!