Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Security Options
ianarrighi
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:34:48 PM
Groups: Member

I am about to attend my 9th BF in a row and am contemplating bringing along my younger kids for the first time. They are finally old enough to appreciate the music and more importantly last the distance each day. I have a concern around the adequacy of the security in relation to unruly/offensive behaviour. Last year in particular my good vibe from the festival was truly tested with a lot of obnoxious drunken under-age teenagers. Mostly it was pushing and shoving in the tents during the sets but it also included one guy turning around during a set and vomiting on my older son's leg who was standing behind him. I understand how difficult is to stop people getting access to alcohol so will leave that issue alone but I would like to know that there is more security people patrolling the tents and ejecting the idiots. Everything else this year is being promoted as being bigger and better and I am getting excited like many others on the forum to see these great musicians at the new venue - how about some more security folks in the tents?

thanks, Ian
repete
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:23:49 PM

ianarrighi wrote:
I am about to attend my 9th BF in a row and am contemplating bringing along my younger kids for the first time. They are finally old enough to appreciate the music and more importantly last the distance each day. I have a concern around the adequacy of the security in relation to unruly/offensive behaviour. Last year in particular my good vibe from the festival was truly tested with a lot of obnoxious drunken under-age teenagers. Mostly it was pushing and shoving in the tents during the sets but it also included one guy turning around during a set and vomiting on my older son's leg who was standing behind him. I understand how difficult is to stop people getting access to alcohol so will leave that issue alone but I would like to know that there is more security people patrolling the tents and ejecting the idiots. Everything else this year is being promoted as being bigger and better and I am getting excited like many others on the forum to see these great musicians at the new venue - how about some more security folks in the tents?

thanks, Ian

I think the fest strikes a really good balance with security which goes a long way to supporting the overall good vibe. I also think this year, with numbers capped at 17,000 (give or take a few hundred) and much more room to move, the worst that is likely to happen is the relatively low level drunken obnoxiousness you talk about. It's annoying, yes, but the overwhelming vibe of the fest is positive, friendly and genuinely curious and open-minded about music. And family friendly - it is safe to bring kids (supervised of course!). The problem may be that they're gonna be drawn to the same acts (and drag you along!) as other young'uns who may partake of just a bit too much of whatever substance! And hey, some old'uns are no better. If the worst that happens is a few idiot drunks, then so be it. Annoying as it is, just move away. And me too...this will be my 9th fest and I have yet to witness any act of violence or verbal abuse. I have, however, witnessed numerous acts of supreme idiocy but in most instances these have left witnesses sharing a good laugh. A bit of fest bonding. Friends of mine have brought their son since he was 18 months old - he's been to way more fests than me - and there's never been a major problem of concern.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
curlyloc
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:03:21 AM

Simple solution - don't take young kids right into crowds.

We have never had problems with our own kids, nieces, nephews and friends kids but you do need to exercise some common sense (btw, what were the parent's of last year's nudie 2 yo frolicking for hours in 4 day old, 30cm bluefest mud thinking!!!)

We have found taking littlies to day time sessions best...less crowds and rowdiness...less scary for them. Tweens are fine til all hours I reckon, as long as you are in a safe spot away from crowds, vomiters and moshers.

Must say last year's crowd was noticibly younger and more Splendour-like...hoping the more 'mature' line up will weed 'em out in 2010!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
cutercomputer
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:37:46 AM

curlyloc wrote:
Simple solution - don't take young kids right into crowds.

Must say last year's crowd was noticibly younger and more Splendour-like...hoping the more 'mature' line up will weed 'em out in 2010!

Last year I talked 10 members of my acapella choir into coming with me, the youngest of them being 19, with another 5 in their 20's, 3 in their 30's and the rest of us spread through to mid 50's.
At the end of the festival one of the things we all talked about at length was the seeming lack of generational snobery and barriers. Sad to see that such attitudes do actually exist in some peoples minds.

“Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable.”
Samuel Johnson