Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Some general questions Options
johnlo
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:43:56 AM
Groups: Guest

This will be my first Blues Fest post kids. It is many years since my last one. Was hoping that people may be able to answer some questions I have on the day to day stuff.

1. Alcohol - being a bit of a regular to the one day festivals in Sydney, I notice that more and more festivals are opting for the mid strength can versions.
Is this the case at the Blues Fest?
How much is a beer at the festival?

2. Camping - as far as understand, you take one car into the site per campsite. Is that right?
Is the car parked beside the campsite or is there a section where all the cars are parked?
Is it only tents or can you use a camper trailer or caravan?

3. Pass outs - what is the story there? Can you come and go as you please?

4. Packing up and leaving. I have a 3 day pass, Friday, Sat, Sunday. When I leave on the Monday, is there a time I have to be out by? With me leaving the Monday, can I pack up and see more bands till a certain time and how do they know I am supposed to leave (I need to be back to base on Monday so this is just a general question)

5. Food and stuff - Is the selection huge and can you bring you own food in?

6. Times - what time does the first band kick off and the last band usually finish?

7. Weather - in the past, has it rained and how many of the stages are undercover for the punter?

Thanks for any help people can give and maybe others have questions too that might like to add.

Really looking forward to being there with a diverse amount of artists, it will be awesome
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:48:11 AM
Groups: Member

Over to you Greybeard....don't forget the funnies...

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
chrishill111
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:32:17 AM

My first and only BF to date is 2008, but I am heading again for 2010 (and hopefully every 2 years after that).

Alcohol - You purchase beer or spirit tickets, and then take them to the bar to get your drinks. There was Tooheys New and Hahn something, and there was the normal pre-mix spirits.

Camping - not sure, as I was staying at Brunswick heads.

Pass outs - for 5 day holders, you get a band on your wrist that allows you to come and go.

Leaving - again, not sure on camping

Food - bring snack stuff, but there was a big range near Mojo and Crossroads in 08. Krishna Food and Organic Doughnuts were the best.

Times - 12.00 to 12.00 approx. Later start on the Thursday.

Weather - Dry as a bone in 2008, but all stages were under tents. However, for the big acts, tents were full. My wife wanted to see Sinead O'Connor in 08 at the Mojo stage, and we were almost sitting in the food area.

Other points
Bring big bottle of water - you will be charged to refill (may have to be sealed to show that it is untampered)
Good souveniers sell out quickly. We waited until Day 5 for the BF 2008 Shirt, and were sold out.
Parking at Belongil was good, but leaving at the end of the night could take an hour. Prepare for it.
Port-a-loos were better than could be expected.
If you have the overwhelming urge to smoke, please find a nice corner to do so. Some of us bring kids to the BF and we don't need to smell that shit.

That's about all I can think of unless I go into a rant people putting there folding chairs in the good spot at one tent and then wandering around.
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:52:36 AM

johnlo wrote:

1. Alcohol - Expect adequate refreshments to be on sale. It all goes into making the festival profitable.

2. Camping - One car next to tent,but you can't then use it to go somewhere else.If you do use it you will be directed to the Car Park for the remander of festival advise the Bluesfest Office of caravan its probably OK.

3. Pass outs - The Festival has a wrist band, colour coded for the purchased period
Camping has a separate color coded wrist band, both are supposed to be tamper-proof so you can't give them to . someone else.You can come and go as you wish, bag search each return entry is enforced

4. Packing up and leaving. I have a 3 day pass, Friday, Sat, Sunday. The time you must leave the park is Monday morning
as advised in the Bluesfest web-site. You will have to buy a Monday ticket to see that days shows (your color coded wrist bandwill give you up at the gate))

5. Food and stuff - Is the selection huge and can you bring you own food in? Yes and Yes

6. Times - what time does the first band kick off and the last band usually finish?In the past it has been 11am to 12 midnight

7. Weather - in the past, has it rained and how many of the stages are undercover for the punter?All are, though big acts may draw an overflow crowd in one or two tents

It's hard to be funny all the time

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 11:30:23 AM

unfortunately i have a feeling it will only be midstrength beer in 2010. i hope i'm wrong.

it will rain.

The poster formerly known as Dan
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:40:24 PM

nah-ONE BOURBON,ONE SCOTCH,ONE MID STRENGTH BEER.......just doesnt seem right.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:18:05 PM
Groups: Administration

So far - one bourbon, one scotch - one full strength beer
finger crossed
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 7:25:56 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
So far - one bourbon, one scotch - one full strength beer
finger crossed

Now those are the kind of posts I like ;-)
johnlo
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:10:57 AM

I have been informed the following via the licensee:

I envisage selling canned beer and spirit RTD’s not exceeding 5% alc/vol at Bluesfest 2010.

All good people. Everyone calm down....including me....
curlyloc
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:32:10 AM

johnlo wrote:

Thanks for any help people can give and maybe others have questions too that might like to add.

I got a question. What can I use my leftover beer tix from previous years for (and no doubt 2010..damn that Monday finish)?

And Greybeard, since your feeln flat, I'll help with your embellishing your answer:

http://esvc000651.wic019u.server-web.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4898&start=0

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
youngbill
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:33:19 AM

I've actually heard the exact opposite to dan - there will be no rain (only a light shower to cool us each arvo which doesn't count), and only elephant beer for sale at the bar. That's what I heard anyway.........

We recently did a largish event. We did mid strength rtds, but still full strength beer. That seemed to make the licencing and fun police happy enough. They didn't insist on the mid strength.

While attending another unnamed blues and/or roots styled festival recently, I spied a few tickets left from the previous year. They had been thoughtfully stored in my wallet and were very handy - now that's a tasty beverage!

Curly - you can pass surplus tickets & any other material possessions you're concerned about on to me and I'll see they're put to good use. Next question?
curlyloc
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 1:54:53 PM

You forgot to mention at that largish event that the bar shut for 10 mins every hour on the hour.....Was it part of the 'full strength' beer placating?

And YB - My nostalgic beer tix are yours...plus some in advance for 2010 (as soon as I get hold of 'em)

youngbill
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 2:15:49 PM

yeah, forgot about that - it was a long week. was it every hour? will gladly take tickets, thank you.
johnlo
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 11:33:26 AM

What about at the camp site re alcohol? When the bands have finished, is that it for the night or are you able to take some beverages into the campsite but not into the festival?

I envisage that the campsite will be seperate from the music site. All within the same proximity but still segragated....

Cheers,

JL
greybeard
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 1:42:23 PM

johnlo
Jimmy Morrison was a party animal to the bone, but his mantra and that adopted by the organizer's is

Quote:
So when the music's over
When the music's over, yeah
When the music's over
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights

The camp ground is for sleeping, if you smuggle-in a small dram and if you are mouse quite and don't draw any attention then who'll know,
Reading the web site conditions is most enlightening.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
johnlo
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:14:28 AM

JM also said - Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer....

I am not planning on that of course being a 46 year old sensible male....Thanks for the tip though.
1Bindoggie
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:04:26 AM

johnlo wrote:
JM also said - Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer....

I am not planning on that of course being a 46 year old sensible male....Thanks for the tip though.

Hah...the breakfast beer is a bluesfest staple
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:52:25 PM

Seems we have a similar diet.
You know what they say- breakfast is the most important "meal" of the day.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 7:59:05 PM

greybeard wrote:
johnlo wrote:

1. Alcohol - Expect adequate refreshments to be on sale. It all goes into making the festival profitable.

2. Camping - One car next to tent,but you can't then use it to go somewhere else.If you do use it you will be directed to the Car Park for the remander of festival advise the Bluesfest Office of caravan its probably OK.

3. Pass outs - The Festival has a wrist band, colour coded for the purchased period
Camping has a separate color coded wrist band, both are supposed to be tamper-proof so you can't give them to . someone else.You can come and go as you wish, bag search each return entry is enforced

4. Packing up and leaving. I have a 3 day pass, Friday, Sat, Sunday. The time you must leave the park is Monday morning
as advised in the Bluesfest web-site. You will have to buy a Monday ticket to see that days shows (your color coded wrist bandwill give you up at the gate))

5. Food and stuff - Is the selection huge and can you bring you own food in? Yes and Yes

6. Times - what time does the first band kick off and the last band usually finish?In the past it has been 11am to 12 midnight

7. Weather - in the past, has it rained and how many of the stages are undercover for the punter?All are, though big acts may draw an overflow crowd in one or two tents

It's hard to be funny all the time

Greybeard as usual provides concise answers for Newbies.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8