Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Message from Bluesfest Director Peter Noble Options
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:04:19 PM
Groups: Administration

Bluesfest is about creativity – it is about wanting to create a better place on the planet – and it is about being inclusive.
The fact that a small number of people posted listings on the board, that are truly offensive to me and others, has left me thinking whether the board should continue. I certainly won’t be reinstating the board in the next few days.
To make attacks on a person’s character – just because they do not fit your taste, is to me, wholly unacceptable – and as a person who has put their heart and soul into where this festival is today – incidentally one of the most respected festivals in the world - it makes me very sad.
I believe those people who posted the defamatory and ignorant listings on Sunday on the board, should take a good look at themselves – and realise that there is a bigger world than your isms and schisms – and at least show a little tolerance toward others – if that is possible within you.
Meanwhile, I would like to thank all those who have subsequently bought tickets, since our special announcement has given us our biggest sales days since the pre-early bird tickets went on sale for Bluesfest 2010.
And thanks for all the positive encouragement – especially from my First Nation, Aboriginal and Indigenous brothers and sisters – who were shocked at the attacks – when I discussed them at the Australian World Music Expo over the weekend – your support is so kind at these times
Please, learn to share your musical tastes with all – we have a whole planet to heal here – and music is the way forward – please be part of the solution
Sincerely
Peter Noble
Bluesfest director

Always28
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 12:46:17 PM
Groups: Member

I just saw Peter’s message on the bulletin board and want to offer him my strong support. I have posted a few times about the need to show respect for other people’s tastes in music.

We live in a diverse World and if some have been carrying on like culutural zealots it's not all that helpful.

If an act is not one of your liking simply don't go an listen, there are heaps of other performers who will fill the bill in what is surely Australia’s most diverse and satisfying festival.

In my opinion this year will be an absolute highlight of my musical experiences with such great performers already listed as Jeff Beck, Peter Green, Joe Bonamassa and so on.

Every commercial activity has to make money to survive to continue to offer us diversity, if that means that the younger audience get to see performers that don't appeal to old farts like me then good on them. I said to one 20 something last year that “when I was her age I was doing what she was doing and I hoped that when she reached my age she will still be doing what I am doing” the message was well received with a warm smile. Many of the Mojo set may not know of Peter Green, Jeff Beck or John Mayall but if they didn't buy the tickets to see Jack Johnson, then Peter could not afford to get our favourites out.

Peter...stay strong and keep making us happy Mate
steveakers
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 2:01:45 PM

Peter,

While I must admit that I was initially dissapointed with the mystery guitarist anouncement last week, it wasn't because I don't like the guy, it was just the way it was built up. I think a lot of us were expecting someone who had never played at the festival before, and possibly never played in Australia.

Some of the posts on the subject could be called "robust discussion", and some of it was just outright bagging of the bloke. Uncalled for, to be sure, but maybe the headline artist anouncement could have been done differently.

As for the posts about Jessica Mauboy a few weeks ago, I was too shocked to collect my thoughts at the time, but there were some very good counterpoints made, which I think shows what a great forum this is. I must confess I had never heard of her until I read people slagging off at her in this forum, but if her voice is half as good as they say it is, maybe her detractors should go and see a bit of her set. They might be pleasantly surprised.

If starting out singing covers is not an acceptable way to get in to performing, then Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones and The Who would never have started out.

davidmoses
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 2:16:33 PM

I too agree that we all need to respect one another's musical tastes but also believe that we should all respect one another's opinions (whether or not we agree with them). The forum is here for discussion - not for abuse. That said, I don't recall seeing any actual abuse (given the thread has since been removed in its entirety, I cannot check the facts). If there was any abuse, those responsible should be booted off; similarly, their comments might also be deleted. To delete the entire thread though is going too far (in my opinion).

The unusual announcement that there would be a special single-artist announcement, for someone described as "very talented", "very well-known", "world exclusive" and would push the festival "towards sell-out" pricked the ears of many Bluesfest fans. The excitement generated by that announcement was tangible, particularly amongst those of us who post on the board. We all spent a week attempting to deduce who this amazing artist might be - some of the names thrown around included giants such as the Stones, McCartney, Springsteen, etc. Trying to work out which artist fit all those criteria caused great excitement and we all had fun reading and analysing one another's guesses.

When it was announced that the artist was Jack Johnson, many of us were left disappointed and somewhat bewildered. Personally, I like Jack Johnson's music. I have bought several of his CDs and have seen him live a few times - both at Bluesfest and elsewhere. His music is inoffensive and his live show, whilst not bluesy, completely fits with the Bluesfest vibe (due, primarily, to Jack's love of surfing, etc).

The point is (and here I risk offending Mr Noble's apparently delicate sensitivities), whilst Jack Johnson is definitely "very talented" and "very well-known", from my memories of the posts which have now been deleted, I think it's fair to say that most of us feel he does not fit the other criteria (ie "world exclusive" and capable of pushing the festival "towards sell-out").

I understand the requirement to provide artists who are more popular to younger (and larger) audiences so as to build ticket sales. Like Mr Noble, I was at Jazzfest in New Orleans this year and witnessed Bon Jovi (who are far less "jazzy" than Jack Johnson is "bluesy") play to some 100,000 people and it was sensational. I also understand that the organisers of Bluesfest need to split the announcements across several issues to continually generate excitement and ticket sales.

That said, when my wife and I rushed to the 24 hour newsagency in Kings Cross at 1am last Sunday to pick up the first issue of the Sunday paper (in which this announcement was to be made), we were dumbfounded that the result of the week's speculation was Jack Johnson (as an aside, we were also slightly bemused, though very happy, to see Galactic, Ozomatli and ALO in this announcement). Every single person I spoke to about this agreed that Jack Johnson is good (and, to some, great) but to build everyone's expectations by releasing that announcement was, at best, disrespectful of the Bluesfest fanbase and, at worst, false advertising.

Again, I am not being critical of having Jack Johnson at Bluesfest. I will never be critical of having any one artist at Bluesfest. The diversity of artists at Bluesfest helps make it the fantastic festival that it has become. Having attended festivals all over the world, this remains one of my favourites and I will continue to return each year. However, I hope (and sincerely request) that the Bluesfest organisers take the time to consider their audience when composing their announcements. It is (or should be) important to remember that we are the customer and, whilst we may not always be right, we are the ones shelling out our hard-earned to come back year-after-year. Again, without meaning any disrespect to Jack Johnson, I reckon he'd be the first to recognise that he was not worthy of the description floated to us all by the Bluesfest publicity machine.

Mr Noble, I hope I've not offended with these remarks. Thanks very much for re-opening the boards to us all. Thanks also for all your hard work in pulling this festival together each year - 2010 is looking absolutely sensational (and will look even better once DMB are announced to headline Saturday night).

skot20_58
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 3:54:34 PM

davidmoses wrote:
I too agree that we all need to respect one another's musical tastes but also believe that we should all respect one another's opinions (whether or not we agree with them). The forum is here for discussion - not for abuse. That said, I don't recall seeing any actual abuse (given the thread has since been removed in its entirety, I cannot check the facts). If there was any abuse, those responsible should be booted off; similarly, their comments might also be deleted. To delete the entire thread though is going too far (in my opinion).

The unusual announcement that there would be a special single-artist announcement, for someone described as "very talented", "very well-known", "world exclusive" and would push the festival "towards sell-out" pricked the ears of many Bluesfest fans. The excitement generated by that announcement was tangible, particularly amongst those of us who post on the board. We all spent a week attempting to deduce who this amazing artist might be - some of the names thrown around included giants such as the Stones, McCartney, Springsteen, etc. Trying to work out which artist fit all those criteria caused great excitement and we all had fun reading and analysing one another's guesses.

When it was announced that the artist was Jack Johnson, many of us were left disappointed and somewhat bewildered. Personally, I like Jack Johnson's music. I have bought several of his CDs and have seen him live a few times - both at Bluesfest and elsewhere. His music is inoffensive and his live show, whilst not bluesy, completely fits with the Bluesfest vibe (due, primarily, to Jack's love of surfing, etc).

The point is (and here I risk offending Mr Noble's apparently delicate sensitivities), whilst Jack Johnson is definitely "very talented" and "very well-known", from my memories of the posts which have now been deleted, I think it's fair to say that most of us feel he does not fit the other criteria (ie "world exclusive" and capable of pushing the festival "towards sell-out").

I understand the requirement to provide artists who are more popular to younger (and larger) audiences so as to build ticket sales. Like Mr Noble, I was at Jazzfest in New Orleans this year and witnessed Bon Jovi (who are far less "jazzy" than Jack Johnson is "bluesy") play to some 100,000 people and it was sensational. I also understand that the organisers of Bluesfest need to split the announcements across several issues to continually generate excitement and ticket sales.

That said, when my wife and I rushed to the 24 hour newsagency in Kings Cross at 1am last Sunday to pick up the first issue of the Sunday paper (in which this announcement was to be made), we were dumbfounded that the result of the week's speculation was Jack Johnson (as an aside, we were also slightly bemused, though very happy, to see Galactic, Ozomatli and ALO in this announcement). Every single person I spoke to about this agreed that Jack Johnson is good (and, to some, great) but to build everyone's expectations by releasing that announcement was, at best, disrespectful of the Bluesfest fanbase and, at worst, false advertising.

Again, I am not being critical of having Jack Johnson at Bluesfest. I will never be critical of having any one artist at Bluesfest. The diversity of artists at Bluesfest helps make it the fantastic festival that it has become. Having attended festivals all over the world, this remains one of my favourites and I will continue to return each year. However, I hope (and sincerely request) that the Bluesfest organisers take the time to consider their audience when composing their announcements. It is (or should be) important to remember that we are the customer and, whilst we may not always be right, we are the ones shelling out our hard-earned to come back year-after-year. Again, without meaning any disrespect to Jack Johnson, I reckon he'd be the first to recognise that he was not worthy of the description floated to us all by the Bluesfest publicity machine.

Mr Noble, I hope I've not offended with these remarks. Thanks very much for re-opening the boards to us all. Thanks also for all your hard work in pulling this festival together each year - 2010 is looking absolutely sensational (and will look even better once DMB are announced to headline Saturday night).

Top work hit the nail on the head there. And the 2nd anouncement is awesome

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
Fairs
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 4:38:43 PM

davidmoses - you have said it all so well....and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your final comment - my dreams would come true if that were to happen. Here's hoping :D
andrewhyde
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 4:57:50 PM

I agree with the sentiments on this thread. Nothing against JJ, who i reckon goes alright. The issue was the misleading emails and the subsequent build up of expectations.
sbetts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 6:06:14 PM

I am also with you guys, in particular always 28, my mother always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.
We have been blessed with a fabulous line up and its getting better and better. There has to be the big kiddy tent (as I call it) and that is just fine. We have so much choice and that what it is all about. You have my support Mr Noble (especially bringing down Lil band and the Flatlanders), and thanks for not shutting down the forum, but you sure have put everyone back in their place and that is not a bad thing.

Sarah
andrewhyde
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 7:11:50 PM

hey sbetts! no dancin ok!
finleym
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 8:09:57 PM

davidmoses wrote:

Beautifully said. 2010 is a great line-up and Bluesfest, and this forum, both take up more time and money than most other things in my life. I hope the message is clear that robust conversation is a good thing, that personal attacks should be deleted and posters suspended, and that special announcements are for first time artists - so as to not disappoint in the future.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
mgwfall
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 10:36:47 PM

Very well said David

This part especially I think sums up the problem

"we were dumbfounded that the result of the week's speculation was Jack Johnson..........Every single person I spoke to about this agreed that Jack Johnson is good (and, to some, great) but to build everyone's expectations by releasing that announcement was, at best, disrespectful of the Bluesfest fanbase and, at worst, false advertising."

And Peter, just to add my thoughts

Whilst most people who go to Bluesfest, probably only visit the site to buy tickets & download the playing schedule, had you been browsing the forum of the "big announcement", you may have noticed that most of the people actively posting were far to the blues end of the spectrum, or wondering of some massive mainstream artist (as David said, Stones, McCartney, Springsteen). Most of the posts, post announcement, I think, simply reflected our profound disappointment, or probably even a bit of personal embarrassment that we'd got it so wrong.

On the home page you say " and his first Bluesfest appearances since 2005.", but I saw Jack Johnson at Bluesfest in 2007. May not of been officially on the bill, but he joined ALO on stage & they effectively became his backing band. (So....I don't really feel I can say I've seen ALO, because what I saw was a couple of songs by ALO then a JJ set)

today4644
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 10:58:06 PM
Groups: Guest

I understand....

I write this in your forum as i know you might read it. How about approaching carol king and james taylor to join the fest? They're already over here at the time (Brisbane 31st March) and appear to have a few days between concerts spare. I believe they would fit in perfectly. They'd certainly assist with selling the festival out!

Just trying to plant a seed. Thank you.
Paul_Busch
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:47:20 AM

Very well said (above) and I do believe keeping the forums open is very important. They should be moderated for racism and hateful comments. I do not believe they should ever be shut down due to our differences of musical taste and opinion.
I was a consistently monitoring this board as I was very excited about whom this artist would be and was enjoying the build up.
After the announcement was made, I found that people were disappointed due to the build up and whatever pre-conceived ideas they had based on the wording of said announcement.
No matter who it was, it was going to disappoint someone. I don't see any issue with voicing that opinion because a forum is a forum. I did not see any comments that degraded Jack or said anything about him personally. If I missed that, well, I am glad I did.
But for people to be unable to opine about the festival or the acts announced then I would say it might be better not to have a forum.
I've always loved the festival and so much about it.
It has changed, it has moved away from the Blues some years, and some years swung a bit back towards it. This is one of the less 'bluesy' years but I still like a lot of the line up.
I do believe much of the older demographic comes for the Blues. I also truly think there needs to be a place for more blues to be discovered and played.
We not only need to keep the festival alive. We do need to keep the Blues alive.
Let's all be friends....but let's all be friends with opinions.
Peace
sbetts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:58:38 AM

Try and stop me from dancing Andrew and you had better watch out I will be looking for you!!! he he lol

Sarah
Paul_Busch
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:59:54 AM

And maybe....with Jeff Beck doing shows with Clapton very soon, maybe, we can talk 'god' into a Byron visit? Dreaming...but Christmas is not far away...
richo
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:32:40 AM

I tend to agree with the lot. Jack Johnson at Bluesfest is totally fine. I posted about 6 months ago that I was expecting him to be there again and totally don't mind as there is the commercial side of the festival that needs to be looked after. I have most of his albums and I'll most likely check out one of his sets (clashes permitting).

The issue to me is that the wording of the original email newsletter felt purposely exaggerated to sell tickets to people who wouldn't be that keen on Jack Johnson otherwise. It felt even disrespectful to the faithful fans who may have purchased a ticket prior to the announcement, based on the impression that the festival would pretty much sell out immediately. I note looking at the ticket sales page that all types of tickets are still available 1.5 weeks on from the announcement, which I wouldn't have expected based on the wording of the email.

That said, nothing about justifies personal attacks. I just hope that in future the organisers are careful to sell based on what they actually have, not based on what they potentially could have, as the latter will invariably lead to situations like what we had on here. There's plenty of us who will buy tickets regardless of hype and announcements; the early bird option is there for us.
snatchemstrap
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 11:27:04 AM

davidmoses wrote:

DM, this is by far the best post I have read in any forum ever. (best post.. read:sentiments perfectly matched with mine!)

I love Jack Johnson, always have and always will... but the beat up leading up to these announcements was excessive. Its a great festival... let it be that, and the ticket sales will come. Subtlety, even with huge name announcements, will always please more people and disappoint less. Sensationalism prior to an unkown will always have us punters expecting Van Morrison in collaboration with Neil Young, Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton, with Stones as the backing band and Dave Matthews on triangle, so there will always be many disappointed.

Drop what you think is a bomb quietly... and it will explode if it is. But if you drop it loudly and it isn't a bomb... expect a backlash.

Great Lineup so far...

Lets round it off with Dave Matthews Band (without the triangle).
comanche
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:13:21 PM

In my opinion, the artist line up for 2010 is simply awesome, however if I was doing the marketing, I would have swapped Jack Johnson for Joe Bonamassa.

With JJ in the initial lineup and no real fanfare, people (the blues guitar slinger crowd anyway) would have seen Buddy Guy, Peter Green, Jeff Beck and thought, "Far out - great lineup, I'm in".

Then when Joe was announced in the 2nd wave = Woohoo!

Same artists, different play of the cards.
Paul_Busch
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:18:31 PM

We want the triangle and a toy piano!
cutercomputer
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:07:48 PM

mgwfall wrote:
he joined ALO on stage

He joined Ben Harper too from memory!?

“Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable.”
Samuel Johnson