Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Palmwoods Got The Blues Sat Nov 21 Options
1Bindoggie
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:16:02 PM
Groups: Member

“October was hot but November is going to be hotter”. Thats the advice from staff and bands alike to the punters who have been lapping up the blues and roots talent at the Palmwoods hotel every month

On Sat November 21, Palmwoods Got The Blues settles in for another heapin’ helping of world class Blues talent, cold beer, great steaks and free courtesy buses

Young guns No Problem make a keenly anticipated return and after some high profile gigs this year, these talented teenagers are the perfect appetizer for the world class talent to follow

Pete Cornelius was one of the highlights of the 2009 East coast Blues & Roots festival at Byron Bay over Easter. So popular in fact that its taken until now for his schedule to free up enough for Pete to get on the plane and get his Gretsch and his talented self up to the Sunshine Coast to bring the Palmwoods stage alive once again. A fixture on national festival stages since his early teens, Pete is now an elder statesman of Australian blues despite still only being in his mid 20’s. Five acclaimed cd releases and numerous overseas tours all testament to the talent the tassie tyro unleashes with his guitar in hand.

To add to the gumbo, possibly the only Australian blues artist capable of giving Pete Cornelius a run for his money, Mojo Webb also returns with his crack band tuned like V8 supercar and ready and raring to go. A Palmwoods regular, Mojo like Pete spends more and more time on planes and trains these days, traversing the country playing festivals and high profile gigs to an ever increasing fan base of increasingly feverish fans. The last time was crazy man! And this November is just another in a long line of amazing lineups presented by the Palmwoods Hotel

Sat Nov 21
Palmwoods Got The Blues
Mojo Webb
Pete Cornelius & The Devilles
No Problem
5.30pm
Free entry

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Palmwoods-Got-The-Blues/172543234794?v=photos&ref=nf#/pages/Palmwoods-Got-The-Blues/172543234794?v=info&ref=nf
jaaaaa
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:52:00 AM

This unfortunately also clashes with Ry Cooder in Bris.
1Bindoggie
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:25:46 PM

Tell me about it!!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:41:28 PM

If I was in Brisbane,It would be a difficult decision as to which gig to attend.

A Wellington friend has informed me that the tickets for the Nick Lowe/Ry Cooder gig there,have been reduced to $60.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
jaaaaa
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:27:53 PM

Hope that's not a reflection of the quality of the gigs!!
1Bindoggie
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:13:31 PM

Not sure when but I remember reading a great review of a Nick Lowe show a cpl of weeks back

Im actually going to miss Palmwoods for the opportunity of seeing Ry Cooder live for the first time

His slide playing has been a constant since my blues life began back in the early 80's

Im beyond excited about seeing this gig and happily shelled out for great tickets

;)

Of course, Palmwoods is going to be quite simply awesome

Pete Cornelius and Mojo are in the top cpl of younger blues artists in the country. The prospect of them sharing the stage is enough to make me drive to Palmwoods to catch the last half hr of the gig after Ry's gig finishes

Whos up for a drive?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:42:03 PM

I note the Sydney & Melbourne tickets selling for $140 & $100.

Clearly the Christchurch & Wellington gigs have not sold many tickets.

Auckland has a large catchment population,but when Stray Cats & Old Crow Medicine Show played these this year,it was in a venue for 1100 people.

The venue operator who came from CHCH,said it was a poor show town[but in reality I suspect no worse than Auck on a population basis].

Wellington is a fickle place for gigs...Sometimes they book small venues and have to move to larger ones.

My brother & a couple of mates are flying up to Well from Dunedin.

Ry and Nick were big in the 70's/80's thus I would expect the majority of the audience to be 50 plus.

The currency is very strong against the US dollar,lots of acts are coming thru,and something has to give...

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
jaaaaa
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 6:53:13 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

I note the Sydney & Melbourne tickets selling for $140 & $100.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would expect the majority of the audience to be 50 plus.

That's pretty much the minimum going rate for international artist gigs these days - regardless of how long ago their heyday was.

Starts to get expensive even without the GFC to see a few acts - just to get in the door.
(And that's not starting to think about the travel & accom etc people outside cities have to add in - like yourself)

Probably only people who are of "family left home" age or with disposable income more likely to be able to afford tickets.

Are kids these days growing up going to see concerts & live gigs? Or are they priced out of their range?