Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Any news on Tyagarah venue for 2010? Options
curlyloc
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:52:39 PM
Groups: Member

Can anyone give an update on what the latest is on Tyagarah Tea Farm as the 2010 BF site?

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:50:08 PM
Groups: Guest

I did hear something a whiles back, but I suppose that's not up to date enough for some of us with our computers and our big city ways!
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 6:47:15 PM

I did hear something a whiles back, but I suppose that's not up to date enough for some of us with our computers and our big city ways!

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
jaylee
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:51:17 AM

It was mentioned on ABC North Coast yesterday - apparently Council staff still considering - issues with flooding, drainage and waste disposal. The DA goes to Council in the coming weeks

Postscript - in today's Northern Star

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2009/08/05/councillors-to-set-tone-for-bluesfest/
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 6:39:54 PM

I thought Greybeard's facial hair was grey. Actually, that's me on the left.
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:21:05 PM

Quote:
As a different crowd flocks to the Byron Writers Festival later this week, there are concerns it too will become a breeding ground for the flu strain.

I wonder if the knockers of Bluesfest are as negative regarding this festival for pretentious Chardonnay swilling bores?

Not high culture is it.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:25:40 PM

how perceptive of you greybeard,to ask that question at this time,you must be psychotic.
today was the day the council made its decision on the new site.havent heard the outcome ,but a council staff report recommends giving it the o.k. on a 5 year trial.
local papers should cover it in the next few days,ill keep you in touch,or maybe peter noble could fill us in on the results.
one local letterwriter who is chairman of the byron rate payers assoc.(usually old farts without a life)seems to have a problem dissassociating bluesfest from splendour,so just put them both in the same basket.his concerns are
1. local residents will be excluded from living peacefully.i thought that was why bluesfest was moving to tyagarah.
2.that mullumbimby and brunswick heads will be locked down to locals. dont follow that reasoning at all.
3.that tyagarah beach will not be accessible by locals.more suspect reasoning.
4.that the festival will not be able to evacuate 20,000 drunk and stoned partygoers.this guy must have worked for the daily telegraph.
the issues go on ,but dont get any better.

all i see by the move is bigger site(120 hectares),easier access,less traffic problems,less noise concern for fewer local residents,hopefully cheaper on site camping-so less festival patrons
have to drive.i dont think local businesses will suffer,to the contary,the arts and industrial estate normally off limits because of traffic should do a great easter trade.
anyway,love to hear more comments on the subject.
good luck peter.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:27:52 PM

can you believe the letter writers name is JOHN BAILEY

curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:50:45 PM

Thanks for this info.

I guess we just stay tuned (and find out John Bailey's contact details!)

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:55:00 PM

Quote:
how perceptive
Indeed

http://www.jbailey.info/about.html

curlyloc
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 8:36:39 AM

Heres what the chardonnay swilling bore John Bailey said in the newspaper article:

John Bailey, of the Byron Ratepayers' Association, says Bluesfest should stay in Byron Bay.

“It should be close to town. Each night there'll be 15,000 people turned out on to our roads - it's going to create a huge issue with safety,” he said.

Mr Bailey said large-scale festivals had very little economic benefit for the local community, as most goods and services were provided 'in-house' at the festival site.

“Council has got to knock it back,” he said.

The Bluesfest team must get so frustrated with these inaccurate, inappropriate, illogical, incorrect knockers. Pete - just let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

richo
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 12:00:17 PM

So wait, 15,000 people will be out on the roads each night, ostensibly heading to their local accommodations. But then at the same time there is little economic benefit for the local community?
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 1:55:57 PM

One could pick the argument to pieces

The vast majority of those returning to town are in buses, not cars, neither the buses nor drivers are from Mars are they?

The food stalls, most seem to be proudly local,

Isn't the Bluesfest business it's self a Byron Bay local ?

Insists it must stay in town, but offers no venue!

Doesn't openly consider (but may be secretly hoping)that the Festival may be lost all together to the shire.

greybeard
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:04:21 PM

Vote on Bluesfest deferred

6th August 2009

A DECISION on Bluesfest's proposed move to Tyagarah has been deferred by Byron councillors who want more information before they vote.

At an extraordinary meeting on Wednesday, councillors voted 5-1 to delay the decision until more information was available about traffic management, security, social impacts, flooding and drainage, Tyagarah Beach access over the Easter weekend, and an unresolved agreement between Bluesfest and the Cape Byron Pistol Club.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2009/08/06/vote-bluesfest-deferred/

Rabbitoh_1969
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 6:57:02 PM

John Bailey must be drinking too much wine. I treat my trip to Bluesfest as a mini-holiday so not only did I spend at the festival but also in Byron at many of the independent businesses such as the supermarket, hairdresser, beauty salon, pizza parlour, etc.

Anyway thanks for the updates guys. I'm considering camping this year for the first time so if anyone could provide me with some good advice on what I will need I would really appreciate it.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 7:36:08 PM

just emailed my reply to the echo. john bailey indeed.

rabbitoh-hows the arm.remember ya gotta tuck it under when you tackle.

skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:33:09 PM

so whats wrong with belongil besides it stays wet?? Why cant they put in drains? Its a great venue for a festival and it beats driving 20mins north every day??!! It means you have to lugg around all your stuff for the whole day. Or pay extra money on top of all the other outrages prices to cloak room it. Say you decide to head back just ounce for the day thats 40 mins out of your day just in travel. It doesnt make sense to me. Is it a money issue?? If its a money issue i understand. The more money to be made the better.
Is the new camp ground going to allow gas burners alchohol and all the stuff thats banned from belongil to? If not then i guess people will have to buy food every day for 5 days. Very exy but if this means even more money for blues fest then i can understand.

All they need to do now is roll out another poor seen it a million times line up and they will be set.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:38:42 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
so whats wrong with belongil besides it stays wet?? Why cant they put in drains? Its a great venue for a festival and it beats driving 20mins north every day??!! The owners of Belongil have decided to sell the caravan park for a new housing development, probably instant millionaires, can't blame them.

It means you have to lugg around all your stuff for the whole day. Or pay extra money on top of all the other outrages prices to cloak room it. Oh the inhumanity!Say you decide to head back just ounce for the day thats 40 mins out of your day just in travel. It doesnt make sense to me. If it doesn't make sense, DON'T DO IT.Is it a money issue?? If its a money issue i understand. The more money to be made the better.CAPITALIST.
Is the new camp ground going to allow gas burners alchohol and all the stuff thats banned from belongil to? If not then i guess people will have to buy food every day for 5 days. Very exy but if this means even more money for blues fest then i can understand.BANNING ALCOHOL FROM THE CAMP SITE just meant it was smuggled in covertly, and drunk without disturbing the neighboring tents, seems fair to me.The gas burners used to be allowed at Belongil, could be a deal breaker if I couldn't boil a cuppa three or four times a day

All they need to do now is roll out another poor seen it a million times line up and they will be set.Usually when people write this they are talking about the Mojo lineup, to which I'm 100% ambivalent.

puki77
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 9:10:27 AM

I thought you were talking about the Moomba festival for a minute. One story goes that some organisers explained their plans to some local Aboriginal people, who remarked "sounds like moomba to us..".
Traffic- meh.
It's tea tree and and cleared cattle paddocks now right? Apart from the legions of mossies and possible disappearance under water, what's wrong with Tyagarah?
Splendour is getting the usual spelunking from chardy swilling fogies, who are up in arms about drugs and youth mayhem. But there _are_ actually legitimate concerns re the new festival site for Splendour.
I'm still waiting for me dang echo, but me don't get what's the big hoohaa with Tyagarah.
waffles
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 6:56:16 PM

skot20-love your sarcasm with just a touch of venom!
i think youll find tyagarah is about 5 minutes further on up the road.maybe youre getting confused with the splendour site. your real names not john bailey is it?