Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Wangaratta Options
youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:37:56 PM
Groups: Guest

Can anyone give me their rave on the following?
James Hunter
Deborah Coleman
Hamilton Loomis

They're all listed for the blues tent at Wangaratta, plus Mr Fitz, but maybe only the monday side show.

I went last year for three doses of the Duke in three days plus Chris and the Collards thrown in for good measure - just what the doctor ordered!

Well worth the drive, I'm thinking of doing it again this year.
Sharleen7
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:57:54 PM
Groups: Member

James Hunter was one of my favourites at this year's Bluesfest - his sets didn't draw huge crowds, but he and his band played beautiful music delivered with a smile and a wink! He had the full band: guitar, double bass, drums, keys & horn section - all excellent musicians and James himself is a great crooner and high energy singer - as he said, we're in serious danger of having some real fun here! He's been compared to Sam Cooke in his vocal stylings and he does sing some really sweet ballads but his live show includes some amped up rockers, too.

I've been listening to my Hamilton Loomis CD, "Ain't Just Temporary" a lot lately, too. I think it's his latest release from Blind Pig - it's very enjoyable. I'd describe it as comtemporary blues with bits of blues, Motown, Texas swing, funk & soul thrown into the mix. There's a great duet on there with Bo Diddley, too! I'd definitely like to see him - I wonder if he'll play any other dates around Australia?

Deborah Coleman was on the last Rhythm & Blues Cruise we went on and seemed to be a real crowd pleaser with her powerful guitar work. I don't have any of her releases, but I see Blind Pig have quite a few of hers on offer. It might be time for the 5 for $50 deal for you, youngbill!

EXCESS in Moderation
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:05:48 AM

Been toying with the idea of going as well. Heres a link for anyone else who might be interested:

http://www.wangaratta-jazz.org.au/

Having never been to one, all advice gratefully received. Can we expect transport mayhem with the Melbourne cup timing?

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:30:01 PM

Thanks for the endorsements Sharleen.

Not sure about cup day chaos. I drove so missed Melborn entirely.

I am however sure about the following.

My source confirms Hat Fitz on the sunday.

I stayed at a caravan park probably called Painter's Island (ph 03 5721 3380), a few minutes stroll from the blues stage. There were a few people there but not too crowded, good amenities, camp kitchen etc.
The blues is separated from the rest of the fest by the river - conveniently spanned by two bridges as it turned out. I didn't really fancy the jazz so just went for the blues only ticket.

Jazz venues are in town (5 min walk), the blues stage is across the river, the bridges previously handy for me unfortunately also allowed passage in both directions for those no good jazz loving beatniks to come and go as they pleased.
The blues tent fits a few hundred seated, who all applauded politely at the end of each tune. Kooky. Often no spare seats in the tent but always a good view. I just stood there leering at them in distaste.
Not too crowded, nice food, tap beer, ok toilets in a big park.

There weren't hoards of people as the blues stage was away from the rest of the festivities but only a short walk to or from.

I also had a nice kebab at the kebab shop on the left just over the main bridge.

Gotta love a kebab.

johnnymac
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 3:32:37 PM

How many more good looking festivals do you guys have!!!!!!!!!!!
I was only introduced to the Country Music Muster at Gympie the other day and now Wangaratta?
I might need to retire to Australia so I can go to everything without going broke.

Young Bill, Deborah Coleman has been on by wish list for Byron for many years. I have four albums and enjoy them all.
She is a very talented artist and outstanding guitarist.....and her work with Sue Foley lately is very cool.
curlyloc
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 1:35:22 PM

johnnymac wrote:
How many more good looking festivals do you guys have!!!!!!!!!!!

And I've been told that there are some great blues acts at Tamworth Country music festival....can anyone verify?

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
HowlinBindog
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 1:47:43 PM

You do get the occasional bluesy band playing down there

waffles
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:43:37 PM

did you say festivals?
there may be some travel involved.
http://www.blueshighway.org/festivals2009.htm

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
c0kebloke
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:53:47 PM

A nice list of Aussie fests can be found here http://www.mbas.org.au/music-festivals.htm