Grace Jones Options
humanracin1
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 11:11:22 AM
Groups: Guest

Sydney Festival presents:
GRACE JONES @ Enmore Theartre
January 11th, 13th and 14th
Wow, three nights!
She has been getting rave reviews for her recent concerts in the UK, especially as part of Massive Attacks Meltdown Festival.
No word yet on other states.
richo
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:58:12 AM
Groups: Member

I thought Hurricane was an incredibly lousy album... unworthy of a single listen, even if you're into that sort of generic dance music.
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 11:13:42 AM

I think she has a free Hyde Park concert opening the Sydney Festival
Not even close to the Terrence Siemien, Dirty Dozen and Preservation Hall Jazz Band opening a couple of years ago with 1/2 million satisfied patrons.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
humanracin1
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 1:02:07 PM
Groups: Guest

The new album Hurricane has only just come out, most great albums take a while to grow on you.
The sound of the album is anything but generic, and it's not a dance album either.
I have listenened to it a few times and I think it is one of her best, she has a classic original music style and voice, so how is that generic?
Mind you if you don't think her 80's Island albums are classics you won't be interested in anything new she does.
To me generic equals Madonna, pink, alicia keys, beyonce, coldplay, U2, timbaland and all that horrible american mor rock, hip hop, soul and rnb music coming out and dominating the charts.
I applaud grace Jones for being a positive influence on other black musicians to be original and experimental with their music.
You can't pigeon hole the sound as generic , it has roots in reggae, dancehall, classical ,opera, triphop and electro but is 100% Grace Jones.
repete
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 5:30:57 PM

greybeard wrote:
I think she has a free Hyde Park concert opening the Sydney Festival
Not even close to the Terrence Siemien, Dirty Dozen and Preservation Hall Jazz Band opening a couple of years ago with 1/2 million satisfied patrons.

Thanks GB - I really needed reminding that Terrance Simien, the Dirty Dozen and Preservation Jazz band didn't venture south. I'm still quite miffed. BUT, what has really got me excited 'bout the upcoming Sydney Fest is the appearance of Joe Henry!! Genius is a grossly over-used word, but it is apt in Joe's case. A brilliant producer - Solomon Burke, Bettye Lavette, Allen Toussaint/Elvis Costello, Mary Gauthier and the best soul album of the last 30 years, I Believe to My Soul (featuring the last performances by the late Billy Preston). His own albums are like polished gems - Sydneysiders, do yourselves a favour and go and see this modern master! Now promoters, listen up, you screw up a lot, but here is an opportunity to atone for all past f**k-ups - make sure he is toured along the east coast!!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 8:02:03 PM

Thanks Pete, hadn't picked Joe Henry out, but on your recommendation and only $45.00 its a done deal.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.