Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Looking after each other - thank you Options
nocheesegromit
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 1:15:38 PM
Groups: Member

For the first time at Bluesfest, and any festival I've been to, I actually had someone ask if my daughter and I were ok.

We tend to find a position for each act and try and stay there. We don't like to be on top of other people so there is usually a bit of space around us. Most of the time this is seen as a giant invitation for half a dozen other people to come and stand in front of us - regardless of the fact that the space is little more than a foot all around us. Invariably these people are taller than we are (which is good going as neither of us short) or young (although this was blown out of the water by the 2 older patrons at the Madness show who thought it would be ok to shoulder their way through and stand right in front thereby forcing us back).

However, while waiting for Melody Angel a gentleman came through and stood in front of us. Cue the deep sighs, eye rolls and begin to shuffle back. But no! He turned round and asked if we could see. When we said not as well as previously, he actually moved out of the way. As I said the first time ever. Daughter and I were totally gobsmacked, but appreciative. I don't know if you read this forum Allan from the ACT, but thank you. Kept running into him throughout the festival and had a good chat each time.

On another occasion after dancing through The Record Company's first set an older gentleman, who had been dancing energetically too, turned and thanked us for sharing that little bit of the Bluesfest experience.

These little pieces of kindness will stick in my mind as 2 of my highlights from the festival. The moronic behaviour of those who leave it late to get to a show and then feel it is their God given right to barge through the crowd and destroy the experience of those who actually got their act together to get there on time, really drags the whole thing down. Even when there is nowhere to go they still push on. I just don't get it. Where do they think they are going? What do think is going to happen to those they push in front of?

To those who take care of their fellow Bluesfesters all power to you. To those who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves, time to look in the mirror and wake up to yourself.

Hope you see this Allan, and maybe we'll catch up at next year's festival.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 1:39:36 PM

nocheesegromit wrote:
F The moronic behaviour of those who leave it late to get to a show and then feel it is their God given right to barge through the crowd and destroy the experience of those who actually got their act together to get there on time, really drags the whole thing down.

This edited quote is the result of Bluefest pandering to those who rush around catch half show then on to the next, to disrupt it. CHAIRS, people are the answer, they encourage advance planning, deeper enjoyment and are a barrier to the stampede cult
The egregious treatment of the real backbone of the Fest has seen the multitude kept out of the tent, and now the stampede cult are ACTUALLY complaining that THEY need to take care in their late night scurrying around the tents

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
nocheesegromit
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 2:58:02 PM

A bit of sarcasm Greybeard?
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 4:45:34 PM

I think you'll find most people (especially those who attend bluesfest) from the ACT are exceptionally nice and polite.

When they go low-we go high.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 4:46:42 PM

greybeard wrote:
[quote=nocheesegromit]F The moronic behaviour of those who leave it late to get to a show and then feel it is their God given right to barge through the crowd and destroy the experience of those who actually got their act together to get there on time, really drags the whole thing down.

As in 2004 at a packed James Brown,where a bloke holding a beer can made his way up to 7 rows from the front by chanting "James Brown is the Devil,over & over."
He did not get past me in row 6.
At Madness a bloke wearing a Madness teeshirt pushed past me,standing 10 rows from the front in the middle,quite some time into the set.
He caught me by surprise but his mate didn't get past.
Both those guys were English,not Aussies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 8:04:10 PM

bucetti1 wrote:
I think you'll find most people (especially those who attend bluesfest) from the ACT are exceptionally nice and polite.

As well as those that live just across the border in "Struggletown" ;) must be something in the water!

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
nocheesegromit
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 9:09:17 PM

As in 2004 at a packed James Brown,where a bloke holding a beer can made his way up to 7 rows from the front by chanting "James Brown is the Devil,over & over."
He did not get past me in row 6.
At Madness a bloke wearing a Madness teeshirt pushed past me,standing 10 rows from the front in the middle,quite some time into the set.
He caught me by surprise but his mate didn't get past.
Both those guys were English,not Aussies.

2004 was my first Bluesfest. I was at the back of the tent for that set, but I remember it was packed.

When Status Quo played my daughter insisted we stayed in the tent for 4-5 acts as she knew how much I wanted to see them. Just as they started two young guys barged on in and proceeded to take up their spot right in front of us. I was furious. But it turned out that were great guys and we had a ball. Unfortunately that experience is a minority.
rstroud
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 9:10:06 PM

bucetti1 wrote:

Seconded Bucetti !

Rod S
greybeard
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 10:03:53 AM

Some talk of Mr James Brown's appearance here
I think it was the last year the tiers were in Mojo and possibly my LAST entry there, certainly after sunset
My inspired positioning was second tier, but at the far end to the stage Perfect viewing memorable show

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
mgwfall
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:05:27 PM

So unlikely the tall, young guy near the first pillar on the left for Neil Finn's set was from The ACT.

A group of shorter people had accumulated near said pillar, when this tall person pushed in front (yes, I know ga & all that) & even though it was bought to his attention by the "front row" of this short section, he stayed, blocked the view of at least 10 people, all by himself. Proud moment for him!
greybeard
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 9:05:53 AM

Most height difference is in the legs
CHAIRS, people are the great leveler.
And pushing in late would be a thing of the past

If you waste your time a talking
To the people who don't listen
To the things that you are saying
Who do you thinks gonna hear?
KK

c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 8:58:59 PM

greybeard wrote:

Most height difference is in the legs
CHAIRS, people are the great leveler.
And pushing in late would be a thing of the past

If you waste your time a talking
To the people who don't listen
To the things that you are saying
Who do you thinks gonna hear?
KK

The chairs outside Crossroads for Santana did stop some but most just pushed & shoved or climbed over others.
Speaking only from my own experience i liked the chairs inside the tents better as at least I could get where I wanted but not when a complete barrier blocks people getting in & out.
Be good for myself & othersif chairs were all to be placed up the back & those with them remain seated causing a buffer between the viewing platform & stage.
Some viewing platforms are low & when people stand directly in front shorties like me can't see a damn thing.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
euansplace0000
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:45:18 AM

I agree with Nocheesegromit.

This was my first Bluesfest and I was surprised by the amount of people who arrived late to an act and just pushed their way through.

My son said that was normal for his generation.

It's not for mine.

Fantastic time though. Loved every minute from the ankles up. My feet were not so keen on standing so long each day.

But.....would I do it again? In a heartbeat - but no next year as my daughter turns 40 during Easter.
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:47:51 AM

I remember a time at bluesfest where talking was frowned upon if watching a band. If you wanted to talk leave the tent.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
Flegal08
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:14:48 PM

Pet hate is people talking during songs. Second pet hate is when the talkers then shout and whistle at the end of the song (like they were paying any attention).

Agree with the comment about people arriving late and pushing through to get closer, during Booker T on Sunday night,
the wife and I were barged through while we were holding hands, the four people just turned around and told us that's they way it is at festivals and if we didn't like it perhaps we should
stay at home. Funny thing is they left after one song.

Will I never know silence without mental violence?