Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

No more drink tickets! Options
andrew_kristina
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 4:59:21 PM
Groups: Member

Just read the news:

http://www.bluesfest.com.au/news/ecard_responsive.aspx?SubjectID=1&ArticleID=590&sqtZd5KZqWDyNByA=true

It's a bold move but I am looking forward to it for myself.

What do others reckon?

The main trouble as I see it is that it really disadvantages people who might just want one or two drinks. That makes the $3.50 activation fee a bit rough. I noticed that they introduced a similar system when i went to Woodford Folk Festival with the kids this past summer (well, the summer that appears to still be going). There was a point when i would of really enjoyed a beer but was unlikely to have more than one and certainly no more than two. The fee and line to activate it deterred me from having a drink and saved me a few dollars.

However, for someone (like myself) going to a festival for 5 days enjoying some rare kid-free time and who has been known to enjoy a "few" beverages from "time to time" the wristband sounds awesome.

The main positive as I see it is there will be no more fifth day blues of being left with really expensive tiny souvenirs because the items I have tickets for are sold out and I'm not permitted to use them for anything else or get a refund!!!

Of course, there is the possibility that some people are going to find the auto top-up feature a bit too easy. There could be some very intoxicated and very poor (or indebted) patrons. Hopefully, it doesn't lead to any increase in antisocial or violent behaviour.

Anywho, given that it's happening I might as well really put my "support" behind it.

bonddm20020000
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 5:31:06 PM

I just read that link and am completely bamboozled!
Admittedly, I am a total luddite.
I think I'll just have a dry festival.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:23:30 PM

This is very sad news indeed.

For once I am nearly at a loss for words.

And I thought it was bad, back in the day, when they had booze tickets for one day only.

Some of my older mates will be completely lost with this crap confronting them.

A Festival for the ages indeed. Will there be free water fountains?

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:33:50 PM

Won't affect myself & my travelling companion.
There are plenty of food stalls at which to buy soft drinks.
Sprite from any food stall and freshly squeezed fruit juice from the corncob stand are hardy annuals.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
bambambam
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:16:51 AM

Enabling auto topup feature sounds like the way to go.

QUOTE:
The easiest and most convenient way to add credit to your account is to “Enable Auto Top-up”. With the “Enable Auto Top-up” feature, your account balance will automatically re-load $40 into your account when your balance drops below $20. The pre-paid amount will automatically be charged to your credit card and you will receive an email notification of this transaction.
ENDQUOTE:

I was thinking about having a dry festival and this new system will help me to achieve that goal.
My main reason for abstinence is monetary, I'd rather buy something else with the money.
More cash to spend on CD's and buying some of Rangers reccomended Lemon Juice.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
mpember
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:25:10 AM

There appears to be no option for topping up your account using cash. Is this going to create a scenario where those who may not be in a position to register their wristband are going to be hanging around the bars offering cash to anyone willing to 'pay' for drinks with an active wristband?

Will groups of festival goers appoint a 'designated drinker' to avoid each having to register and incur the fee?

With no need staff ticket booths, do the reduced employment costs cover the need for a 'fee' for users to activate their wristband? What happens to unclaimed balances at the end of the festival? Will this be pocketed by the operator? BF? Donated to charity?
kielsteel
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:41:43 AM

Im all for the wristband approach,
I used it this year at the Yours and Owls Festival in Wollongong in October and it worked fine, and could be used for food also at that festival.
You were also able to top up with cash or card.
I don't think the "Auto Top Up" feature is a very good idea and seems to be praying on the people who may not make the best judgements due to there drink wristband having never ending money on it.

Also, why are you charged an activation fee of $3.50, when you are given no other alternative option to purchasing drinks??
That is extremely suss.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:48:06 AM

they have the mates rates system,where you get tickets for friends under your registered member name and receive a cash credit....maybe.
I did this last year...got friends 2 tickets...went to collect credit...nothing. still waiting.Brick wall

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Bradders
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:38:12 PM

Great move...

makes life easier and i'm not a big drinker so buying the vouchers was a pain knowing i might not ddrink them all.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:53:00 PM

I cant quite understand how they will credit the unused.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:13:34 PM

bambambam wrote:
More cash to spend on CD's and buying some of Rangers recomended Lemon Juice.

Also orange juice & grapefruit juice.With ice to keep it cool.All served in a reusable cardboard cup available in a range of sizes.
I always buy large.More thirst quencing than fizzy.and with natural sugar to keep energy levels up.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
unclerumple
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:34:50 PM

All very high tech and should be a boon for those with plenty of credit in their card accounts and good connectivity. It looks like cash topups will not be available so notso hotso for those who don't, or who receive all their income in cash.

Also, serious privacy issues to be considered for those who register their wristbands, which BF is encouraging. Your name, credit card details, email address and drinking habits are all being recorded, with the info stored in some giant database. Valuable info for somebody. I hope BF uses this info for good and not evil!

Some may not want Big Brother to know how many rums they drink every day or which brand of beer they favour.

mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:40:07 PM

waffles wrote:

From my reading of it, I think for that, you have to register the wristband, link it to your credit card & then it's done automatically.

And also I think it can only be linked to a credit card, wonder if the usual Bluesfest credit card use fee will also be added to every top up, or is that what the $3.50 activation fee is for as I'm not sure a business can charge a surcharge if there is no alternative payment options.
mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:42:40 PM

unclerumple wrote:

Also, serious privacy issues to be considered for those who register their wristbands, which BF is encouraging. Your name, credit card details, email address and drinking habits are all being recorded, with the info stored in some giant database. Valuable info for somebody. I hope BF uses this info for good and not evil!

Some may not want Big Brother to know how many rums they drink every day or which brand of beer they favour.

Though, if the used it in real time to implement RSA rules, could be a plus!
mpember
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:39:39 PM

mgwfall wrote:
And also I think it can only be linked to a credit card, wonder if the usual Bluesfest credit card use fee will also be added to every top up, or is that what the $3.50 activation fee is for as I'm not sure a business can charge a surcharge if there is no alternative payment options.

Unless they offer an EFT or cash alternative, they are required to absorb the cost of accepting credit card payments. e.g. There was some fuss when punters discovered that they could have waited until after the festival to buy a ticket for the following year and avoided the credit card fee which was being charged for sales at the festival. Not soon after I mentioned the regulations as a grounds from not being allowed to charge a separate fee, BF were spruiking the option of paying by EFT and whacked on a credit card fee for online sales.

But 'absorbing' the fee may simply mean that the price of each drink goes up gy 5% at the 2017 event.
Bradders
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 7:36:33 AM

waffles wrote:

All credit left unredeemed by the close of the festival will be refunded in accordance with the terms below:

Online Top-ups: Leftover funds on your account that were purchased online will automatically be refunded back to your card within 10 business days after the end of the event
On-site Top-ups: Leftover funds on your account, purchased on-site using cash, credit or debit, will require you to complete a Manual Refund Form online within 21 days after the festival. The refund will be made within 3 business days after the deadline.

http://www.bluesfest.com.au/faqs/?FaqSectionID=8
Bradders
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 7:37:04 AM

mpember wrote:
mgwfall wrote:

Unless they offer an EFT or cash alternative, they are required to absorb the cost of accepting credit card payments. e.g. There was some fuss when punters discovered that they could have waited until after the festival to buy a ticket for the following year and avoided the credit card fee which was being charged for sales at the festival. Not soon after I mentioned the regulations as a grounds from not being allowed to charge a separate fee, BF were spruiking the option of paying by EFT and whacked on a credit card fee for online sales.

But 'absorbing' the fee may simply mean that the price of each drink goes up gy 5% at the 2017 event.

I think I read you will be able to top up by Cash or EFT at the fest.
rstroud
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 11:34:51 AM

Hi

I have read the BF FAQ on RFID. Unfortunately they don't explicitly say that you must have a credit card, but I think it's implied. A bit more clarity would be appreciated.

Some people only have debit cards. Announcing this system with two weeks notice doesn't give enough time for punters to adapt and get a credit card.

Very disappointing

Rod S
regards
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 10:06:03 AM

rstroud wrote:
Hi

I have read the BF FAQ on RFID. Unfortunately they don't explicitly say that you must have a credit card, but I think it's implied. A bit more clarity would be appreciated.

Some people only have debit cards. Announcing this system with two weeks notice doesn't give enough time for punters to adapt and get a credit card.

Very disappointing

Rod S

Indeed it is.

Believe it or not I still have mates that have no cards at all.

What happens to them
rstroud
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2017 10:18:48 AM

regards wrote:
rstroud wrote:
Hi

Very disappointing

Rod S

Indeed it is.

Believe it or not I still have mates that have no cards at all.

What happens to them

From reading a reply to an enquiry on BF Facebook page, they will be taking cash at the recharge centres. Dinosaurs still have an option ! I am sure they will love the money.

Cheers

Rod S