Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Nimbin Roots Festival Options
bonddm20020000
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 9:14:31 PM
Groups: Member

I know Nimbin has quite the reputation for mind altering substances, but someone on the Fest's Facebook page just posted this in relation to this year's lineup!

"I was hoping for Jeff Buckley,Xavier Rudd or John Buttler on the list😒😒😒😒😒"
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:25:40 AM

I think Jeff will just do his own tour... ;)
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:16:23 AM

bonddm20020000 wrote:
I know Nimbin has quite the reputation for mind altering substances, but someone on the Fest's Facebook page just posted this in relation to this year's lineup!

"I was hoping for Jeff Buckley,Xavier Rudd or John Buttler on the list😒😒😒😒😒"

Drool
freexone
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:16:21 PM

Someone I know quite well, is leaving Sydney a day early just so that person can have a whole day to visit Nimbin.
So much the bitter if there is going to be entertainment
That's if the roots festival is on just before or coincidating with Bluesfest.
Who needs mind alternating substainsense?
thank you
bambambam
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:43:17 PM

Nimbin is a great place to hold festivals, watched some great live bands there while at Mardigrass and at the pub.

Also seen some pretty random stuff "not" during festivals, like drug addled people ranting and screaming while walking along ect,,
For all the grass they smoke, I wouldn't call it a peaceful town, but I've never had a problem during festivals or market days.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 1:45:57 PM

bambambam wrote:
Nimbin is a great place to hold festivals, watched some great live bands there while at Mardigrass and at the pub.
Also seen some pretty random stuff "not" during festivals, like drug addled people ranting and screaming while walking along ect,,
For all the grass they smoke, I wouldn't call it a peaceful town, but I've never had a problem during festivals or market days.

From what I have seen,there are people on more than grass.Some look a bit thin on it.
But no different to anywhere else in today's world.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/90845695/luxury-sydney-home-had-to-be-fumigated-after-justin-biebers-visit
Looks like Justin Beiber would have been in his element there,according to one commentator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
waffles
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 4:03:59 PM

theres a lot of hard drugs and crime in nimbin.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
mccin0000
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 5:25:31 PM

Cops waste a lot of time hounding tourists and locals in Nimbin making pathetic $20 weed busts- wasting energy when they should be hounding the ice dealers and scum that are doing real harm. It's braindead, if the cops focused their energy properly Nimbin would be the arts capital of Australia and a world tourist destination like no other, think Amsterdam without human trafficking and sex slavery.

Now that the tide is turning many will look to do their bit in legalising this wonderful plant that when used properly is a magical gift from the creator.

I nearly forgot this was on, it looks like a good start if anyone is keen in doing their bit for progress. You get a few bucks to spend that you can support the local encomony in Nimbin with too for your troubles

http://sydney.edu.au/science/lambert/get_involved/cannabis_use_and_memory_experiment.pdf
regards
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 6:44:08 PM

[quote=mccin0000]Cops waste a lot of time hounding tourists and locals in Nimbin making pathetic $20 weed busts- wasting energy when they should be hounding the ice dealers and scum that are doing real harm. It's braindead, if the cops focused their energy properly Nimbin would be the arts capital of Australia and a world tourist destination like no other, think Amsterdam without human trafficking and sex slavery.

Now that the tide is turning many will look to do their bit in legalising this wonderful plant that when used properly is a magical gift from the creator.

Agree with all of the above
c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 7:34:03 PM

I've only been to Nimbin once back in the late 90s when I stayed with a mate who lived @ the Gold Coast.
She asked if I wanted to get some weed (she had me pegged) so we went to Nimbin & hung around all day but not one person made the offer.
One guy did approach me but in this case it was to add my name to a form protesting the use of police choppers buzzing over locals back yards looking for pot.
He pointed out he was not against cops doing the job they were paid to do but said they should take the choppers out deeper in the rainforest & bust the big growers as that would be better use of the tax money being spent- I was happy to put my name to it.
After getting back to my mates place & drinking a slab she came up with the theory for me not being made any offers of weed being "they must have thought you were a local"
Comes to pot we need to start looking into how much it can help rather than only concentrating only on the harm it can do.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
littlewillie
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 7:54:56 PM

waffles wrote:
theres a lot of hard drugs and crime in nimbin.

Yep the place is a shadow of it's former mellow fun vibes place.

Unfortunately hard drugs are commonplace and there is a real dark side to the once utopian village.
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:55:59 AM

I think Lou Bradley's doing a great job with the Nimbin Roots Festival. She keeps getting good line-ups, price is very reasonable, does good deals with local accommodation providers, etc.

As for the town, I can handle it in small doses - as a neighbour said to me in the late 90s as we mulled over the "small dose" phenomenon over coffee at a Cullen St shop, "It's a bit like wearing tails - fun for a while, but you wouldn't want to do it every day!". It is getting gentrified though, more's the pity.

namaste
RR
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:24:17 AM

c0kebloke wrote:
.After getting back to my mates place she came up with the theory for me not being made any offers of weed being "they must have thought you were a local"
Comes to pot we need to start looking into how much it can help rather than only concentrating only on the harm it can do.

Rule number one.Do not go to Nimbin if you could be a mistaken for a member of the Furry Freak Brothers.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11826490
Richard Branson agrees with you.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 5:23:46 AM

In this modern age we get our information and news through a multiple of devises, radios, tvs, PCs, laptops, tablets, twitter, facebook and on and on.
It is a very devisive society.

So said one great kiwi recently

Weed is one such conflict, I'm all for medical research but like most pharmaceuticals it's a trade off and even in moderation can have side effects
Its common to hear of lives ruined from weed induced severe paranoia
For me it ( never been a smoker so technique may have been poor) never did anything special
Just sleep ( which wasn't a problem without the stuff anyway) sore eyes next morning and a foul tasting burp 2 months of it back when I was 16-17 was enough

Still others have different experience
Carl Sagan and Pot
When Carl Sagan died of pneumonia in 1996 at age 62, he was one of the most famous scientists in the world. Not only had he popularized the study of astronomy and pioneered the importance of searching for intelligent life on other planets, Sagan was one of our strongest voices for the responsible use of science. Almost single-handedly, he strove to dismiss the myth America could survive a nuclear war. He became the leading critic of Ronald Reagan's Star Wars defense plan. What nobody realized, however, is for most of his adult life, Sagan was a secret and avid pothead. Not only did he enjoy partaking of the sacred herb, he believed it provided him with creative and scientific insights.

For young people of the 1960s and 1970s, marijuana use was a rite of passage. To the young, smoking the illegal drug was the boldest way to rebel against parental and governmental authority. The term "groves of academe" took on a new meaning in universities, where the spiky-leaved plants grew vigorously and covertly under ultraviolet lamps in dormitory closets.

But many adults used "weed," too. Astronomer Carl Sagan had been a regular marijuana user from the early 1960s on. He believe the drug enhanced his creativity and insights. His closest friend of three decades, Harvard psychiatry professor Dr. Lester Grinspoon, a leading advocate of the decriminalization of marijuana, recalls an incident in the 1980s when one of his California admirers mailed him, unsolicited, some unusually high-quality pot. Grinspoon shared the joints with Sagan and his wife, Annie. Afterwards, Grinspoon recalls, Sagan asked if he could have the last joint because he had so much work to do the next day and that it would really help.
http://hightimes.com/news/carl-sagan-and-pot/

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
freexone
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:38:16 PM

Last year I took a drive over to Nimbin to see how much it had changed since 1981.
While having coffee at the Oasis Cafe I got to talking to one of the locals and after a while he asked if I could give him a lift to his home at Tuntable Falls.
On the way we came across a police vehicle setting up to do drug tests, obviously preparing to catch locals with some weed or whatever.
To my way of thinking this was a blatant show of police harrasment.
The road between Nimbin and Tuntable is a small narrow back road, that would be lucky to have a dozen cars a day travelling along that route.
There could have been no other reason than a deliberate effort to pick on the local people by brandishing their new shiny blue toy and to raise revenue.
On the way back to Nimbin (as expected) I got pulled over by these goons in blue, and they made no pretense for a reason other than carrying out drug tests.
I asked the cop if he was going to do a breathalizer test, but no, they were there for one reason and one reason alone.
No-one can come up with a reasonable excuse that the police should do this, other than old/new fashion police harrasment.
Not a wonder they are so widely disrespected and hated by people who see exactly what their stupid childish game is all about.
After we escaped their harrasment my passenger said how lucky I was to not be under the influence, because otherwise we would have had to detour all the way back through. Uki and Blue Knob, ( I think??) which would have added at least an extra 100Km.
Unfortunately a lot of NSW cops are 'still', nothing less that thugs in uniform.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 2:36:31 PM

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11830356
As with alcohol,a good revenue source for the state.
Would reduce consumption of chemicals.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 1:21:16 AM

https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/protest-outside-courthouse-as-nimbin-lane-boys-fac/3205465/
Beware of the cameras.The locals were not aware of them.

sunshinechen2180000
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:39:58 PM

After reading the whole post, I have learned more about this topic. Thank you so much.