Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Womadelaide Options
repete
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:54:33 PM
Groups: Member

This beautifully curated festival has just concluded and what a festival it was! Highlights:

The audience!
The setting!
The food!

...and the music:

Hot 8 Brass Band - brought the house down with two brilliant sets, including Sunday when it poured with rain and not a single person left in search of shelter. They brought New Orleans to Womad and were hot, very f*cking hot!!
Oumou Sangare - the great Malian diva was fantastic and when she hits that groove, it's mesmerising (and I'm really sorry to say that her performance at bluesfest some years back was almost ruined by Bela Fleck, a musician I otherwise love and admire).
Aurelio Martinez - the great Garifuna activist from Honduras was amazing, his music a joyful percussion based celebration of Garifuna culture
Warsaw Village Band - from Poland, when I first heard their music filtering through the trees I thought I was listening to Velvet Underground, so went and had a look and was amazed!
Aziza Brahim - from the Western Sahara was hypnotic
Bamba Wassoulou Groove - Malian guitar driven grooves (3 guitarists). Spellbinding. Especially Sunday when there was a large group of happy Malians in the audience teaching everyone funky new dance moves.
Oki Dub Ainu Band - from Hokkaido and playing traditional instruments over the top of a wicked dub beat.
Inna Modja - a courageous young Malian woman who dumped a bucket of sh*t on the islamists ruining her country, and whose performance was utterly unique and enthralling.
La Mambanegra - big Colombian band playing Latin beats at the most energetic levels imaginable.
Brushy One String - from Jamaica, a killer voice and a great story teller (I did think about passing round the hat to raise funds for a second or even third string for his guitar)
Baba Zula - psychotic Turkish psychedelia - again, I was just passing by and thought I would catch a song and stayed to the end of the set.
Parov Stelar - techno swing/cabaret from Austria. Outrageous, just outrageous. I was only going to stay for a couple of songs and then walk home. Fat chance, they tore the place down.

As always at every festival, I missed a lot of great music. There was only one disappointment (a headliner) and I won't mention their name.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:27:52 PM

repete wrote:
This beautifully curated festival has just concluded and what a festival it was! Highlights:

The audience!
The setting!
The food!

...and the music:

Hot 8 Brass Band - brought the house down with two brilliant sets, including Sunday when it poured with rain and not a single person left in search of shelter. They brought New Orleans to Womad and were hot, very f*cking hot!!
Oumou Sangare - the great Malian diva was fantastic and when she hits that groove, it's mesmerising (and I'm really sorry to say that her performance at bluesfest some years back was almost ruined by Bela Fleck, a musician I otherwise love and admire).
Aurelio Martinez - the great Garifuna activist from Honduras was amazing, his music a joyful percussion based celebration of Garifuna culture
Warsaw Village Band - from Poland, when I first heard their music filtering through the trees I thought I was listening to Velvet Underground, so went and had a look and was amazed!
Bamba Wassoulou Groove - Malian guitar driven grooves (3 guitarists). Spellbinding. Especially Sunday when there was a large group of happy Malians in the audience teaching everyone funky new dance moves.
Oki Dub Ainu Band - from Hokkaido and playing traditional instruments over the top of a wicked dub beat.
Inna Modja - a courageous young Malian woman who dumped a bucket of sh*t on the islamists ruining her country, and whose performance was utterly unique and enthralling.
La Mambanegra - big Colombian band playing Latin beats at the most energetic levels imaginable.
Brushy One String - from Jamaica, a killer voice and a great story teller (I did think about passing round the hat to raise funds for a second or even third string for his guitar)
Baba Zula - psychotic Turkish psychedelia - again, I was just passing by and thought I would catch a song and stayed to the end of the set.
Parov Stelar - techno swing/cabaret from Austria. Outrageous, just outrageous. I was only going to stay for a couple of songs and then walk home. Fat chance, they tore the place down.

As always at every festival, I missed a lot of great music. There was only one disappointment (a headliner) and I won't mention their name.

The Specials?

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
repete
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:15:08 AM

Space5279 wrote:
repete wrote:

The audience!
The setting!
The food!

...and the music:

The Specials?

Put it this way, The Hot 8's encore cover of Ghost Town at the end of their Sunday performance made The Special's version on Monday night sound very insipid. But then there's no-one hotter than the Hot 8. These days, I'd probably see them before Rebirth, and that's saying a lot.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
mpember
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:53:22 AM

Hot 8 were great last night at the Coburg Town Hall. I felt sorry for Bennie, due to his not being able to put down his sousaphone for even a second to wipe his brow in the oppressive humidity that Melbourne was experiencing.

Bullhorn were fantastic as support.