Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bluesfest offshoot festival Options
skot20_58
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 2:00:10 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/26/2008
Posts: 999
Points: -1,067
Someone needs to start a festival inspired by the double j playlist and demographic. Have double j give it the same one eyed coverage as triple j does for splendour.

IM NOT SAYING REPLACE BLUESFEST LETS MAKE THIS CLEAR NOW.


Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
humanracin
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 10:16:50 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 517
Points: -66

I don't listen to the radio anymore ... please elaborate the types of bands who would play this festival?

There is certainly a big gap in Jan/Feb, maybe even March for a new festival.

We have lost Big day Out, V Festival, Soundwave, Harvest and Future Music.... to name a few.

I feel like Bluesfest pleases the older crowd mostly aged 50 and up, with some like me in the 30-40 age group.

Then there's Splendour and Laneway that is designed for Teens and Twenty somethings.

But people who grew up in the 80s and 90s and are into more Alternative music usually just get concerts now, very few Festivals book those bands.
skot20_58
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 12:27:23 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/26/2008
Posts: 999
Points: -1,067
humanracin wrote:

I don't listen to the radio anymore ... please elaborate the types of bands who would play this festival?

There is certainly a big gap in Jan/Feb, maybe even March for a new festival.

We have lost Big day Out, V Festival, Soundwave, Harvest and Future Music.... to name a few.

I feel like Bluesfest pleases the older crowd mostly aged 50 and up, with some like me in the 30-40 age group.

Then there's Splendour and Laneway that is designed for Teens and Twenty somethings.

But people who grew up in the 80s and 90s and are into more Alternative music usually just get concerts now, very few Festivals book those bands.



Guess if you don't listen to radio this post will not interest you.


Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 1:50:27 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/19/2008
Posts: 3,858
Points: 9,357
Location: 46* South
I used to listen to radio when I was out running.
But soon switched to my own recorded music as it doesn't matter what radio station you listen to,they have a limited number of songs which they repeat over and over
Either the programmers know as much about music as you could write on a postage stamp,or they want to play it safe with audiences who don't like anything new.
I see radio as something that is not listened to by people who have an indepth passion for music.
Because the content only deals with a speck of dust off the mountain which is the world of music
I have not listened to radio for many years.I would rather play my own CDS,watch DVDS or You Tube.
Triple J states that it aims at the 18-25 year age group.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
tedhadson
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 2:39:23 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/6/2010
Posts: 106
Points: 248
Location: brisbane
I agree. But I do Listen to Henry Wagons show on jj every Monday night. Nothing else.
bambambam
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 3:26:20 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/6/2011
Posts: 812
Points: 1,303
Location: Gold Coast
The golden years of pop (when we still had singles and a top ten) have long gone.

And the alternative music scene which replaced it in the nineties (one of my fave music periods comparable to late seventies punk and new wave) is not supported by the radio stations anymore, in that they dont play many new alternative bands and some artists are struggling to survive (being a musician nowdays is no longer a lucrative career move)

I would like to see Countdown come back (or some version of it,) and the top ten chart move to iTunes and then maybe we can get people interested in current music again but this is highly unlikely as our friends young children (all under 12 years) have pretty much given up on TV anyway.

This generation are youtube addicts and they "choose" what to watch, and thats mostly stuff about minecraft or top ten lists and "one off" funny vids and stuff about American / English / Australian Idol ect ect....

I'm very glad I grew up in the generation that had records, when buying the lastest album and learning to appreciate the songs meant something, I would spend hours just looking at record sleeves and sitting with my mates listening to new music.

Oh Well Boo hoo!






Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
bambambam
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 3:35:53 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/6/2011
Posts: 812
Points: 1,303
Location: Gold Coast
skot20_58 wrote:
Someone needs to start a festival inspired by the double j playlist and demographic.


Oh yeah, and I think that that's a great idea by the way...




Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
humanracin
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 4:10:14 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 517
Points: -66
skot20_58 wrote:
humanracin wrote:

I don't listen to the radio anymore ... please elaborate the types of bands who would play this festival?

There is certainly a big gap in Jan/Feb, maybe even March for a new festival.

We have lost Big day Out, V Festival, Soundwave, Harvest and Future Music.... to name a few.

I feel like Bluesfest pleases the older crowd mostly aged 50 and up, with some like me in the 30-40 age group.

Then there's Splendour and Laneway that is designed for Teens and Twenty somethings.

But people who grew up in the 80s and 90s and are into more Alternative music usually just get concerts now, very few Festivals book those bands.



Guess if you don't listen to radio this post will not interest you.


Actually it does otherwise I wouldn't have posted in this thread.
I don't listen to Double J but I know that it caters to 30/40 somethings and plays lots of 80s and 90s music.
I think a new festival aimed at this audience is needed in Australia.
The closest we had was Harvest after BDO died, but unfortunately harvest only survived for 2 or 3 years. (I think the third year got cancelled?)
They had great lineups.
pod2006
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 6:06:52 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 5/17/2011
Posts: 292
Points: -801
I was a regular at Homebake and loved the Aussie focus and blending of great aussie 80s and 90s acts who had international experience; with pub bands, indie and hip hop and techno; etc. The first weekend in December is sadly underwhelming without this tradition. The richness and diversity of the talent was matched by the beauty of the Domain in Sydney and many of the punters (and possibly bands) have probably moved on to different life events, and are ripe for a bit of 80's and 90s celebration. Not unlike looking in the rear vision mirror as the horizon passes, or getting out a not too old photo album and yearning for things recently past.
deapeasea0000
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 10:26:43 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/23/2015
Posts: 86
Points: 164
TheLoneRanger wrote:
I used to listen to radio when I was out running.
But soon switched to my own recorded music as it doesn't matter what radio station you listen to,they have a limited number of songs which they repeat over and over
Either the programmers know as much about music as you could write on a postage stamp,or they want to play it safe with audiences who don't like anything new.
I see radio as something that is not listened to by people who have an indepth passion for music.
Because the content only deals with a speck of dust off the mountain which is the world of music
I have not listened to radio for many years.I would rather play my own CDS,watch DVDS or You Tube.
Triple J states that it aims at the 18-25 year age group.


Lance from the Bamboos has a good show on JJ. You can hear it here http://doublej.net.au/programs/sky-high/Brand-new-music-from-Sampha-Missy-Elliott-Jamiroquai
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 10:43:04 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 517
Points: -66

Homebake was great, great central venue in the Domain.
Saw some great sets there...
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 7:05:05 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/26/2008
Posts: 999
Points: -1,067
Harvest was on the money


Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

SoClean Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
This page was generated in 0.115 seconds.