Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jazzfest Options
repete
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 8:16:44 AM
Groups: Member

The 2017 jazzfest bill is up.

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com

Not a lot in the big name acts I would be interested in (Stevie W being the exception) but the pure gold in this bill, as always with jazzfest, is to be found in the middle and down the bottom. The clashes would be a nightmare for me!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 12:05:12 PM

That is the best music festival lineup I have ever seen.
Jazzfest has no rivals.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
regards
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 3:10:46 PM

repete wrote:
The 2017 jazzfest bill is up.

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com

Not a lot in the big name acts I would be interested in (Stevie W being the exception) but the pure gold in this bill, as always with jazzfest, is to be found in the middle and down the bottom. The clashes would be a nightmare for me!!

Hi Mate

I agree about the big name acts.

But there is stacks of other goodness as usual

I will brave the undoubted crowd for Stevie the second Saturday after he got washed out last year.

And most likely battle the throng for Tom Petty first Sunday as well

I have no major plan for other acts to see at fest yet.

I only get in the Tuesday prior this year, and my vague overall fest plan is

to start with Wednesday at the Square followed by Checkpoint Charlie.

Thursday at Jazz In The Park early then ThreadHead Thursday.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday festing and whatever else

Monday. Nola Brewing Crawfish Festival. Tuesday Patry. Wednesday. Rosetrees place early followed hopefully by ChazFest.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday Festing and whatever. Monday at LMF and after probably at Chickie Wah Wah.

Tuesday move back to Lisas and maybe rest a bit. Wednesday at The Square. Thursday Jazz In The Park followed by Rock N Zydeco Bowl.

After that is a work in progress. But I am staying around for a while and a couple of weeks later is the Bayou Boogaloo which should be cool and I think we will have Kayaks for that one.

I am tired thinking about it, as I depart only a few days after I get back from BluesFest, and will be busy sorting stuff for my Mum in those 4 days.

Luckily I have a fair bit of stuff on the next few weeks to help pay for this, as my American Bank account has finally run out, so I have to worry about exchange rates again.

Fortunately I will be staying at my girlfriends place for the bulk of the time except for the main Fest period, when I cant resist staying in the Quarter, thankfully I still get a very good deal.

But I may have to reconsider next year, we shall see?

skot20_58
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 4:28:08 PM

That lineup is 10 bluesfests in one. Wow 😳

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
Wokstar
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 9:40:56 PM

It is Bluesfest on speed.

The nips are gettin' bigger!
bonddm20020000
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 12:36:41 AM

You know a lineup is phenomenal when Joe Louis Walker is about 90th on the bill!
ryancolesmusic0000
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 6:13:45 AM

I'm quite new to this whole thing after coming to my first Bluesfest last year but is it normal to expect at least a few Jazzfest artists?

"....We are the music while the music lasts." - T.S Elliot
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 2:11:34 PM

bonddm20020000 wrote:
You know a lineup is phenomenal when Joe Louis Walker is about 90th on the bill!

100 % Agree.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 3:27:40 PM

ryancolesmusic0000 wrote:
I'm quite new to this whole thing after coming to my first Bluesfest last year but is it normal to expect at least a few Jazzfest artists?

PM darryljohnson50000.He is flying from Houston Texas on United Airlines and will be up to speed with the scene,as he lives just over the border.

regards
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 11:03:52 PM

You will get some acts from JazzFest the following year, but it is all different

It is more normal to expect Louisiana Artists per se, or Nola acts, if that is what you mean by JazzFest artists.

This year of the top of my head we have Troy Andrews, Dumptsaphunk and Nikki Hill who has lived in Nola for a little while.

Rikki Lee Jones has also lived in Nola for a while, but is certainly not a Nola act.

Stacks of Nola or Louisiana bands have played at Bluesfest.

Including . those I can remember which are

Alan Tousaint, Neville Brothers, Mac Rebennack, Marva Wright, Irma Thomas, Buddy Guy,Sonny Landreth, Soul Rebels, Terrence Simien, Lucinda Williams, Royal Southern Brotherhood, Galactic, Rosie Ledet, Kenny Neal, Tony Joe White, John Mooney a blow in of about 40 years,John Cleary is the same as Mooney although he is a pom, Galactic,

There would be more, but it is getting late and my mind betrays me, I suppose we can say Marcia Ball as she is in the Tiptinas walk of fame.

The list of current very good Nola and LA acts that have not been to BluesFest is massive.

And most would go over a storm, some examples are

Deacon John, a great and underated talent.

Jonny Sansone, Walter Wolfman Washington. Dana Abbot

Anders Osborne with any of his friends, the fantastic Bonerama, Big Sams Funky Nation, the very good Mooney, Stone, Krowne trio or any of them in whatever form, George Porter could and probably has played with all of the above.

There are stacks more I could add but bed beckons
repete
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 11:29:13 PM

regards wrote:

You will get some acts from JazzFest the following year, but it is all different

It is more normal to expect Louisiana Artists per se, or Nola acts, if that is what you mean by JazzFest artists.

This year of the top of my head we have Troy Andrews, Dumptsaphunk and Nikki Hill who has lived in Nola for a little while.

Rikki Lee Jones has also lived in Nola for a while, but is certainly not a Nola act.

Alan Tousaint, Neville Brothers, Mac Rebennack, Marva Wright, Irma Thomas, Buddy Guy,Sonny Landreth, Soul Rebels, Terrence Simien, Lucinda Williams, Royal Southern Brotherhood, Galactic, Rosie Ledet, Kenny Neal, Tony Joe White, John Mooney a blow in of about 40 years,John Cleary is the same as Mooney although he is a pom, Galactic,

There would be more, but it is getting late and my mind betrays me, I suppose we can say Marcia Ball as she is in the Tiptinas walk of fame.

The list of current very good Nola and LA acts that have not been to BluesFest is massive.

Anders Osborne with any of his friends, the fantastic Bonerama, Big Sams Funky Nation, the very good Mooney, Stone, Krowne trio or any of them in whatever form, George Porter could and probably has played with all of the above.

G'day mate...envious again you'll be there, but I'm hoping next year for us.

For this year's bluesfest we could also add Christian Scott who'll be playing trumpet in the Miles Electric Band.

Apart from all those you've listed, other past Louisiana/NOLA acts I recall are the Funky Meters, Bo Dollis and the Wild Magnolias and L'il Band o' Gold (interesting to see CC Adcock and the Lafayette Marquis on the bill at fest...definitely worth seeing for a hit of psychobilly). I also think Little Freddie King appeared a few years ago with the Music Maker crew but I could be wrong. Plus there was the New Orleans Katrina special which included all too short sets from Donald Harrison Jr and Davell Crawford. As for more? Agree with all your suggestions, plus I'd love to see Davell Crawford and Donald Harrison Jr return for full sets, and throw in Kermit, Glen David Andrews, John Boutte, Tab (or Voice of the Wetlands Allstars), Rebirth and it's about time a cajun band was brought out...Beausoleil, Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys, the Pineleaf Boys or Lost Bayou Ramblers plus the old creole music of Cedric Watson for starters. Henry Butler would go down a treat too, but he's not well (though very happy to see he's on fest's bill). My fantasy would be the Midnite Disturbers, but they'll only ever be seen at jazzfest. And there's so many more....

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 4:49:19 PM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:

G'day mate...envious again you'll be there, but I'm hoping next year for us.

For this year's bluesfest we could also add Christian Scott who'll be playing trumpet in the Miles Electric Band.

Apart from all those you've listed, other past Louisiana/NOLA acts I recall are the Funky Meters, Bo Dollis and the Wild Magnolias and L'il Band o' Gold (interesting to see CC Adcock and the Lafayette Marquis on the bill at fest...definitely worth seeing for a hit of psychobilly). I also think Little Freddie King appeared a few years ago with the Music Maker crew but I could be wrong. Plus there was the New Orleans Katrina special which included all too short sets from Donald Harrison Jr and Davell Crawford. As for more? Agree with all your suggestions, plus I'd love to see Davell Crawford and Donald Harrison Jr return for full sets, and throw in Kermit, Glen David Andrews, John Boutte, Tab (or Voice of the Wetlands Allstars), Rebirth and it's about time a cajun band was brought out...Beausoleil, Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys, the Pineleaf Boys or Lost Bayou Ramblers plus the old creole music of Cedric Watson for starters. Henry Butler would go down a treat too, but he's not well (though very happy to see he's on fest's bill). My fantasy would be the Midnite Disturbers, but they'll only ever be seen at jazzfest. And there's so many more....

Hi Mate

Will be great if you guys can make it again next year.

I remember Davell Crawford now that you mention it, and my brain must be going as I saw LBOG a few times that year and remember the Los Lobos lads sitting in, one day.

I think you are right about Little Freddie, and Grandpa Elliot was here with MMF as well.

Also would like any of your suggestions, I heard Henry on Ozed the other day and he sounded positive, which is a good thing.

It is carnival time in Nola and Krewe De Vewe this weekend which the gang are all gearing up for, they will have a blast and I will be there in spirit.

If you are near my neck of the woods this Sunday, I am helping organise a charity gig at our Sports ground, with The Black Sorrows playing supported by Cattle Truck, J P Klipspringer and a bunch of others. Its like a school fete on steroids with market stalls, stacks of carnival rides, a couple of bars, food stuff and so it goes.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 12:38:53 AM

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/jazzfestforum.com

repete
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 11:09:54 PM

Jazzfest is starting in about 4 hours. Here's the link to wwoz for live streaming from fest over the next two weekends. The connection to the stream is right at the top of the webpage. Do check the time diff in your neck of the woods.

https://www.wwoz.org/

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 1:36:52 AM

I have seen some great stuff since I got here Tuesday night.

Despite picking up a bad cold on the plane I have been out and about all the time.

Thanks to herbal and scientific remedies.

We have just been told that entrance in to the fest will be delayed for a while today, which is a pain, but there are major storms around with lightning which is what they are worried about.

At Fest the last couple of days, we have seen bits of the following acts, Johnny Sansone, Alex Macmurray, Leon Bridges, Kristin Diable, Deacon John, Pine Leaf Boys, Trey Anastasio, Aaron Neville, Brother Tyrone and the Mind Benders, Marc Brousard, Corey Henry, Kenny Neal, Cyril Neville Pat Maclaughlin, The tribute to Pete Fountain, Steve Riley and Johny Lang.

At night we have seen The Chris Mule Blues Band on Tuesday, Flow tribe, T Bone Stone and others I forget on Wednesday and Thursday at a fundraiser put on by one of my friends we saw Paul Sanchez with the Rolling Road Show followed by The Brassaholics and it finished with Marcia Ball, this was a great night in the botanical gardens and the weather was perfect, and there was a big crowd so all were happy.

Just want the weather to behave, but after today it is meant to be not much drama, so we will be fine
tonyivits
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 8:47:47 PM

Louisiana and New Orleans have been and are home to many great musicians in different genres-jazz,blues,zydeco,country,etc.I would love to visit there and when I see the line up for Jazzfest it reinforces my ambition but finances and age might beat me.

However listening to that radio station wwoz helps me feel the vibe of Nola.
repete
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2017 9:07:23 PM

regards wrote:

Despite picking up a bad cold on the plane I have been out and about all the time.

We have just been told that entrance in to the fest will be delayed for a while today, which is a pain, but there are major storms around with lightning which is what they are worried about.

At Fest the last couple of days, we have seen bits of the following acts, Johnny Sansone, Alex Macmurray, Leon Bridges, Kristin Diable, Deacon John, Pine Leaf Boys, Trey Anastasio, Aaron Neville, Brother Tyrone and the Mind Benders, Marc Brousard, Corey Henry, Kenny Neal, Cyril Neville Pat Maclaughlin, The tribute to Pete Fountain, Steve Riley and Johny Lang.

At night we have seen The Chris Mule Blues Band on Tuesday, Flow tribe, T Bone Stone and others I forget on Wednesday and Thursday at a fundraiser put on by one of my friends we saw Paul Sanchez with the Rolling Road Show followed by The Brassaholics and it finished with Marcia Ball, this was a great night in the botanical gardens and the weather was perfect, and there was a big crowd so all were happy.

Just want the weather to behave, but after today it is meant to be not much drama, so we will be fine

I fell of my chair in fits of laughter when I saw some photos on nola.com of crawfish coming out of the ground at the Acura Stage after the downpour!!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 5:47:04 AM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:

I fell of my chair in fits of laughter when I saw some photos on nola.com of crawfish coming out of the ground at the Acura Stage after the downpour!!!

Great music & a free feed...who could ask for more!

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez