Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Cancellations Options
steveakers
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 10:52:09 AM
Groups: Member

Bluesfest have had to deal with a number of cancellations over the years, Wilson Pickett, Roger Daltrey, Lenny Kravitz. Bob Geldof cancelled but came good the following year, Madness have cancelled previously but it looks like we will get them this year. Cancellations are just a fact of life when you are putting on something this big.

I agree that Bluesfest admin have to anounce if Jimmy Buffet is or is not the replacement for Neil Young so that one day punters can make their mind up if they are still going, but if you bought a ticket just to see Neil Young then ask for your money back now, he's not coming.

If you don't like Jimmy Buffet, go to one of the other stages. Or have an early night, it's a long, long weekend.

It costs an enormous amount of money to tour Australia from overseas, and the exchange rate isn't helping. These cancellations are just a sad fact of economics. When playing solo at Bluesfest a few years ago Steve Earle commented that every time he comes here solo he makes a little bit of money, and every time he brings the band he loses a lot of money. Bluesfest brought him back the following year with the band. Thank you Bluesfest.

I seriously doubt Bluesfest can pull in two headline acts the equivelant of Neil Young and Barry Gibb at this late stage, if they do, more power to them. If they don't, look at what you are getting now for the price of a season pass.

humanracin
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 11:41:02 AM

For me, the replacements don't have to be BIG names just good quality.
Personally I'd like to see them take some risks on International artists who promoters rarely bring to Oz

Like these, youtube them if you don't know them, these are amazing artsits that would fit in well with Bluesfest:

HOLLIE COOK
YOLA CARTER
SKYE & ROSS
SOPHIE BARKER
BONNIE PRINCE BILLY
IRON & WINE
BAND OF HORSES
DAUGHN GIBSON
VASHTI BUNYAN
LINDA PERHACS
ANGEL OLSEN
JESSICA PRATT
CARLEEN ANDERSON
JHELISA ANDERSON

and returns from:

DAMIEN DEMPSEY
WILLIAM ELLIOTT WHITMORE
CW STONEKING

skot20_58
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 11:46:32 AM

humanracin wrote:
Personally I'd like to see them take some risks on International artists who promoters rarely bring to Oz

Like these, youtube them if you don't know them, these are amazing artsits that would fit in well with Bluesfest:

HOLLIE COOK
YOLA CARTER
SKYE & ROSS
SOPHIE BARKER
BONNIE PRINCE BILLY
IRON & WINE
BAND OF HORSES
DAUGHN GIBSON
VASHTI BUNYAN
LINDA PERHACS
ANGEL OLSEN
JESSICA PRATT
CARLEEN ANDERSON
JHELISA ANDERSON

and returns from:

DAMIEN DEMPSEY
WILLIAM ELLIOTT WHITMORE
CW STONEKING

Iron and wine played a couple years ago

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 11:55:38 AM

humanracin wrote:
For me, the replacements don't have to be BIG names just good quality.CW STONEKING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsavCc3R4aU
We were short of recent You Tubes on CW but fantastically we now have some updates.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
bucetti1
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 12:34:53 PM

Stoneking for sure.

When they go low-we go high.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 12:44:43 PM

humanracin wrote:
HOLLIE COOK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne__QGYYwEo
Love that voodoo dolly.
Was just thinking about buying a couple.
But who stocks them.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
sincapation
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 2:22:28 PM

Angel Olsen was out for the Meredith festival about 6 weeks ago and toured extensively. From all accounts she and her band were incredible. I have read two reviews of the fest that rated her the highlight. I was introduced to her too late and was unable to secure tix to her Melbourne side shows as they had sold out well in advance. What a voice. I would love to see her booked for a future Blues Fest.

I just cant stop listening to this song of hers. A slow burner but well worth the wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4Hl6kDnK4
lillianchicken
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:44:39 AM

Such a disappointing line up this year so far. There is next to nothing that really makes me go YEAH!

I have been coming to Bluesfest most years since 1995 as a teenager, this is the most uninspiring line up yet. Where's the funk, the soul and the reggae? Don't need big names - like they say, just some quality.

very very sad.
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:06:19 AM

lillianchicken wrote:
Such a disappointing line up this year so far. There is next to nothing that really makes me go YEAH!

I have been coming to Bluesfest most years since 1995 as a teenager, this is the most uninspiring line up yet. Where's the funk, the soul and the reggae? Don't need big names - like they say, just some quality.

very very sad.

This years lineup does seem to be focussing on AM Radio, Guitar Hero stuff.
But there's still more stuff to be added though so I'm trying to keep positive.
This is our first Bluesfest and we bought tickets mostly because of Patti Smith and Neil Young.
Besides Patti nothing else so far makes me go Wow, this is worth $500.

We are going to a couple of 3 day festivals in Europe in June and one cost $120 and the other cost $250 and they have names like Radiohead, Depeche Mode and Arcade Fire...
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:25:24 AM

humanracin wrote:
This is our first Bluesfest Besides Patti nothing else so far makes me go Wow, this is worth $500.

You have been posting since 2010 and this is your first Bluesfest ??
So there has been nothing of interest in the festivals subsequent to your joining the forum ??
A 5 day ticket does not cost $500.

humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:46:47 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
humanracin wrote:
This is our first Bluesfest Besides Patti nothing else so far makes me go Wow, this is worth $500.

So there has been nothing of interest in the festivals subsequent to your joining the forum ??

I have been going to Bluesfest sideshows for years, there's always a few acts I want to see but they are usually spread out too much over the 5 days.
I've always preferred more intimate concerts over festivals too.

Um, we payed $500 each for a 3 day ticket including camping, and that was with the buddy discount.
5 day tickets are currently $620 plus camping costs

bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:47:04 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
humanracin wrote:

Depends when you book.
http://bluesfest.com.au/pages/?ParentPageID=44&PageID=69
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 12:28:48 PM

humanracin wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
humanracin wrote:

I have been going to Bluesfest sideshows for years, there's always a few acts I want to see but they are usually spread out too much over the 5 days.
I've always preferred more intimate concerts over festivals too.

I agree that a smaller venue with a boutique atmosphere is preferable to the supermarket atmosphere of a festival if you are interested in acts which attract large numbers of spectators.
If I was interested in only Patti Smith I would see her at Sydney or Melbourne.
In terms of your personal musical taste,I agree that you are best to stick to individual shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2uzqCc3Bgc
Jessica Pratt played Queenstown 12/15.
There are a surprising number of artists in this genre who tour around and play intimate venues,even down here.
Because there are so many of them out there,and they are Under The Radar,seeing them at Festivals is very much a cherry picking exercise.

humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:15:06 PM

Even though I agree with some people on the forum on certain points who are unhappy I'm still looking forward to the festival.
I'm hoping it will be a chilled event with an older crowd. ( I will never go to another Splendour In The Grass, what a horrible experience)
And I'm keen to see some of these artists for the first time: Bonnie Raitt, Blind Boy Paxton, Mary J Blige, Roy Ayers.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:58:57 PM

humanracin wrote:

Even though I agree with some people on the forum on certain points who are unhappy I'm still looking forward to the festival.
I'm hoping it will be a chilled event with an older crowd. ( I will never go to another Splendour In The Grass, what a horrible experience)
And I'm keen to see some of these artists for the first time: Bonnie Raitt, Blind Boy Paxton, Mary J Blige, Roy Ayers.

Rhiannon Giddens if you have not seen her.

waffles
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:33:01 PM

WOW , humanracin that's a hell of a statement that nothing at this years bluesfest impresses you.i suggest you spend some time on youtube and check some of these bands out.
besides the bigger names...zac brown,santana,doobie brothers,madness,bonnie raitt,jimmy buffett,jethro tull,patti smith etc etc
trombone shorty always puts on a great show as does beth hart,nikki hill,st paul and the broken bones etc etc
I'm really looking forward to dumpstaphunk,joan Osborne,rhiannon Giddens,roy ayers,eric gales and definitely Gregory porter,billy bragg etc etc
I don't know your musical taste but surely there should be a lot to look forward to.
this is my 27 th bluesfest and I think this is one of the best lineups ive seen.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
rstroud
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:58:41 PM

lillianchicken wrote:

very very sad.

You will not get much better funk than Dumpstaphunk, with some Neville Brothers and two bass players. My aim is to see them four times, bur I think the maths are against it. But point taken ...

Rod S
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:52:17 PM

lillianchicken wrote:
I have been coming to Bluesfest most years since 1995 as a teenager, this is the most uninspiring line up yet. Where's the funk, the soul and the reggae? Don't need big names - like they say, just some quality. very very sad.

My pick for the weakest lineups out of the 13 years I have attended,would be 2007 2006 2009 & 2015.
But strength or weakness is not a call I can conclusively make until I have attended the Festival.
It is not as easy as it once was when artists kept themselves to one genre.
I have taken the playing schedule and explored it,as many artists are unknown to me.
Artists in my opinion in the genres you refer to are as follows :
St Paul & The Broken Bones
Corrine Bailey Rae
Dumpstaphunk
The Suffers
Nikki Hill
The California Honeydrops
Melody Angel
Mary J Blige
Gregory Porter
Michael Kiwanuka
Slightly Stoopid
Madness
Laura Mvula
Booker T presents The Stax Records Revue
Having had a look thru the You Tube clips of the large number of artists whom I am unfamiliar with,there is some pretty interesting stuff on this years' bill.
And a good leaning towards jazz,which is logical considering the more sophisticated tastes of today's market.
For punters who are not narrow minded.
In my experience,some of the most narrow minded people are musicans who are stuck in one area.

donny20
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 1:13:53 PM

Couldn`t agree more waffles,great line up this year.Plenty of blues ,rock,jazz, funk.3 licks from Buddy and I`m in heaven.My 22nd.in a row and should be one of the best.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:59:49 PM

http://www.13thfloor.co.nz/?p=78712
Is reggae becoming less popular ?