Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Barry Gibb cancelled! Options
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:15:05 AM
Groups: Member

So now they need to find new headliners for Friday and Monday.

Potentially this could be good for us as I wasn't too keen on Barry Gibb.
So depending on the new Monday headliner we might upgrade from a 3 day to 5 day ticket :)
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:26:10 AM

humanracin wrote:
So now they need to find new headliners for Friday and Monday.

Potentially this could be good for us as I wasn't too keen on Barry Gibb.
So depending on the new Monday headliner we might upgrade from a 3 day to 5 day ticket :)

Not a fan either but I just wish these artists wouldn't make promises they can't keep.

humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:27:19 AM

Replace Neil and Barry with Stevie Wonder and Dolly Parton... fixed!

I do agree though that these artists shouldn't make promises and then cancel unless there's a serious health issue or something.

Patti Smith is still the main reason we bought tickets so I pray to the Gods she doesn't cancel and we are getting to see her twice... which is nice.
bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:04:21 AM

Like Lenny Kravitz before him, the sideshows were all at very large capacity venues.
It's also unusual for an act to do a sideshow at Brisbane Entertainment Centre.Many past headliners have treated Bluesfest as their Qld show.
There are so many blockbuster tours coming through Oz between Feb- April, something had to give.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:06:31 AM

One could argue the viewpoint that the Beegees are no more Australian than Ray Beadle.
But Australia is where they broke through.
So if you want to take the Au viewpoint,they beat Olivia Newton John as the giggest selling Au artists of all time.
Barry is the Lone Ranger,prepared to tour around the world.
It will not be due to a shortage of wealth.
If you don't like Disco,you don't like Funk.
Show the man some respect.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:29:58 AM

I'm still disappointed about Daltrey cancelling in 2012
bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:01:00 PM

Dear Ranger,
Agree with everything you've said
BUT for somebody who doesn't need the money, his ticket prices were very very expensive.

When they go low-we go high.
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:09:24 PM

bucetti1 wrote:

BUT for somebody who doesn't need the money, his ticket prices were very very expensive.

I agree with you, seated events in large venues in Australia have been increasing significantly over the last couple of years.
I'm not sure if its the artists themselves or the promoters driving up the prices or the fact that the Aussie dollar is so weak compared to the US$ etc
I fear it's only going to get worse over the next couple of years.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:38:31 PM

Barry Gibb tickets at Vector ranged from $100 to $200.
That is just Banana in the Bunch prices.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:45:05 PM

I can assure you the prices were considerably more for Australia.
Either way it's sad .i love the Bee Gees.

groovq
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 1:01:15 PM

David Bromberg Blues Reunion ;)

Bonnie Rait
David Bromberg
Dr John
John Hiatt
Keb mo
Emmylou Harris
and on....
+
NICK CAVE !!!!!!

bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:52:41 PM

I was looking forward to seeing him as well.

One good thing about buying early bird tickets is that you don't have to suffer the psychological effects of favourite artist cancellations because you are trusting bluesfest management to make good decisions on your behalf.
I think I'm up to my twentieth Bluesfest and I've never been disappointed with the quality of the musicians on offer, in fact I kick myself every time I miss an act (this year I missed seeing Noel's high flying birds which I heard was great)

So yes it's annoying when they cancel but now I'm excited by just who may replace him.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:26:16 PM

Yeah I agree, at least Neil and Barry cancelled relatively early so there's a good chance of quality replacements.
Bluesfest is still around 4 months away, it's not like it's on in a few weeks.
spanner1
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:01:54 PM

i dont care at all about Barry's cancellation as i was never going to see him. i had been looking forward to him drawing droves away from the act I was going to watch on his monday night slot. I saw the Bee Gees at their zenith doing Spicks and Specks tour in the early 70's at festival hall in brisbane and thats as i want to remember them. I do agree with previous posts that when is an international commitment to perform in oz and NZ able to be supplanted by international commitments in the northern hemisphere. if you have any credibility and have made a commitment to tour the southern hemisphere than honour your contract. Any excuse other than ill health is dishonest, misleading and dishonourable. Roll on bf its still a sensational lineup and just needs the Mule to replace the pull outs.
on on
spanner
steveakers
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:33:10 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
I'm still disappointed about Daltrey cancelling in 2012

Booked and paid for flights to every sideshow on that tour. Bugger. Regardless of who the replacements are this time if you bought an earlybird ticket you have still got your money's worth with the first round.

When Roger the dodger cancelled John Fogerty backed up and did a second show and opened his second set with a different album. "Green River" and "Creedence Clearwater Revival" I think. There's just one worthy replacement that could fill both spots if necessary.

Blondie and Cyndi Lauper are touring just before Easter, if they don't have touring commitments they would be fantastic additions to the Bluesfest lineup. Pixies are here a month before, just a bit too long. Pity.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:34:14 PM

I going to see this show at the Sydney Festival, it looks good enough to fill a closing spot

Tower of Song
14 January
Celebrating the Music of Leonard Cohen

One of the great poets of our times has left the building and we farewell him with a very special celebration of his songs. This is a chance to say so long to Leonard, and to once again feel the way his words and music stir our souls.

With his resonant baritone and boundless charisma, acclaimed Cohen interpreter Mikelangelo will guide us through the final visionary album, You Want It Darker, along with other Cohen gems, accompanied by a stunning handpicked band. The show will also see some of Australia’s finest artists singing Cohen songs that we know and love, including The Church’s Steve Kilbey, as well as Jack Ladder (Sydney Festival 2016), Holiday Sidewinder, Broads and more, joined by a choir put together especially for the night by Christina Mimmocchi.

This will be a night to remember as we send our beloved poet and songman, Leonard Cohen, into the great beyond.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
pod2006
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:33:24 PM

Neil & Barry are left and right bowers of popular music. Can only be replaced by pedigree: say Paul Weller; Steeley Dan; Ray Davies. Or former rising star favourites: Avett Brothers and My Morning Jacket. Or continuing down the jazz camber- George Benson and Earl Klugh.
Like so many other posters - It's not an issue for me. Although I will have to put away my 70's disco gear and flannelette shirts.
bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:42:16 PM

groovq wrote:
David Bromberg Blues Reunion ;)

Bonnie Rait

Bonnie Raitt's already on the bill.
Wokstar
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:21:25 PM

It's a shame that Barry is not playing as he would have attracted a lot of interest which would have allowed more space at other venues which would have provided more amenity to see proper Bluesfest acts.

The nips are gettin' bigger!
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:16:26 AM

What do you mean by proper?