Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Coming from Japan to attend the very first time outdoor overseas concert Options
dragonfishgee0000
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2016 10:41:01 PM
Groups: Member

Dear administration people and advanced members:

We are coming from Japan to attend this exciting Bluesfest in Byron bay.

When I bought the three-day tickets(Thu., Fri., Sat.), Zack Brown band was of the list on Saturday, so I booked the flights and accommodations to suit the schedule.
Now Neil Young has been canceled (quite disappointing) and Zack Brown has been shifted to the last two days.
I guess I can change my tickets to Fri., Sat. Sun., but I am wondering about what time the head liners play until, if there are some buses to go to Brisbane from Byron Bay around midnight, and if there aren't any midnight buses to Brisbane, are there some places in town where we can kill the time until the earliest bus from Byron bay to Brisbane?
We booked a hotel for three days from Thursday and booked a hotel in Brisbane for the fourth day which is Sunday, 16th of April.

At this point, I don't think I can find a hotel to spend another night in Byron Bay (the last time I checked, most of the hotels in town were pretty much booked)

We have never been to overseas concerts like this and we don't know how the festivals go in terms of time.
Do the bands play until pretty late?

I really appreciate it if someone could answer my questions.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2016 7:39:02 PM

http://www.bluesfest.com.au/pages/?ParentPageID=46&PageID=74
banditboogie0000 will also have some good advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
nocheesegromit
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:45:57 AM

I don't know if you will be able to do so but maybe having a look at switching your accommodation and heading somewhere else like Ballina might be an option. It will depend on the standard you are looking for. I have my accommodation booked, did so when I left this year, but realistically all I need is a clean room, a bed, and a shower with hot water. The majority of my days are spent at the festival so it makes no sense to be paying for amenities that I'm really not going to use. I do not use the buses but I'm pretty sure there are buses that go to Ballina (there were when I first went - which was also when James Brown played). And while it is disappointing that acts pull out and are switched around I'm sure there will be more than enough to keep you satisfied.
zyfert
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 11:16:46 AM

To the best of my knowledge there are no buses from Byron to Brisbane around midnight or later.
While there are many buses that operate on that route, the majority of them are scheduled throughout the day until early evening.
Are you aware that Zac Brown is still playing on Saturday night however with a new band called Sir Rosevelt. See the artists section of the Bluesfest website for more information on that.
Music at the festival starts at midday every day - with the exception of the first day, Thursday when it commences around 4pm. The last act finishes at midnight.
The way the playing schedule is laid out - the artists at the top are the headliners and will play last finishing around 11.30 - midnight.
There are 5 stages so if you look at the playing schedule for Saturday night as it stands right now, Doobie Bros will be playing on one stage, Buddy Guy on another and Zac Brown on another.
Of course this may change with the addition of more artists and the final playing schedule with times which is not announced until much closer to festival time.
The Bluesfest office is very helpful and you can phone them for additional information or to discuss your situation.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:19:22 AM

Now it is Macainn0000's turn to give advice.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
bambambam
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:46:44 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Now it is Macainn0000's turn to give advice.

I'll jump the cue then and get in first.

Where did you book your local hotel? Can't they extend the booking for you?
There may be tents still available onsite, these have beds set up, all you need is a blanket and pillow.
I agree with ranger that you should have booked the whole festival to begin with, maybe you still can.

My wife is japanese and we can answer any questions you may have. Just pm us on this site.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:28:59 PM

I expect deapeasea0000 to reply to dragonfishgee0000

mccin0000
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2016 8:41:24 AM

Thanks Ranger the timing was impeccable as i just finished a suspension for reasons unknown.

Staying in Bris and attending BF isn't impossible - back in the good old days you might stay off the grog to avoid the road side breath testing and jail sentence.

Coming from the land of the rising sun your plans probably include a trip to nimbin then head to the fest nicely toasted, this might put you in a spot of bother with the mobile drug testing units.

I don't know about mobile drug testing in down town Bangkok or Beijing but in Byron it's rampant especially on the way out of Nimbin.

So it's best to stay somewhere like the arts factory or sleep rough on the beach weather permitting - one person will need to keep watch throughout the night as it can get hairy and you'll need to be prepared for mosquito attacks at dusk and daybreak - I've stayed up some nights for hours on end listening to their buzzing with a fear of being bitten on the eyelid or somewhere even worse.

I see that you're interested in Zac Brown - I'm a fan of Daniel O Donnell and Nathan Carter - Nathan is very similar to Zac Brown - Nathan's a big hit in the Uk - here's a song I hope you like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sk45DyU0Bc&sns=em

deapeasea0000
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2016 11:30:04 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

I have nothing to add at this time.
dragonfishgee0000
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 12:33:51 PM

I thank you all for the advice. I know I should have booked five-day tickets, but because of work and other factors...I couldn't.
I couldn't shift/extend the accommodation(Dear bambambam, the hotel's completely booked) and maybe it's too late to change the dates on the tickets now; though I bought the tickets before 31st of Oct.. (I checked the ticketing page, but it wasn't clear if I can still change the tickets bought before 31st of Oct. Or, maybe it's not changeable at all after that date.)
Also, camping is a bit tough for my partner with a pace-maker, neither is sleeping on the beach.

Thanks to zyfert, we would be happy to see Sir Rosevelt! We didn't know this band.

And, Dear mccin0000, thanks for your travel tips for the adventurous detour to Nimbin. Having lived in BC, Canada for a while, I am very much interested in going there, but I've never been successful in driving when I'm toasted, so I probably won't go this time.
I wonder if it's quite strict down there like the land of rising sun about drinking drive, though. I want to stay extra day in the fes. not in jail.

Anyways, I've got to go! Thanks again.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 7:45:21 AM

dragonfishgee0000 wrote:
I thank you all for the advice. I know I should have booked five-day tickets, but because of work and other factors...I couldn't.
I couldn't shift/extend the accommodation(Dear bambambam, the hotel's completely booked) and maybe it's too late to change the dates on the tickets now; though I bought the tickets before 31st of Oct.. (I checked the ticketing page, but it wasn't clear if I can still change the tickets bought before 31st of Oct. Or, maybe it's not changeable at all after that date.)
Also, camping is a bit tough for my partner with a pace-maker, neither is sleeping on the beach.
Thanks to zyfert, we would be happy to see Sir Rosevelt! We didn't know this band.
And, Dear mccin0000, thanks for your travel tips for the adventurous detour to Nimbin. Having lived in BC, Canada for a while, I am very much interested in going there, but I've never been successful in driving when I'm toasted, so I probably won't go this time.
I wonder if it's quite strict down there like the land of rising sun about drinking drive, though. I want to stay extra day in the fes. not in jail.
Anyways, I've got to go! Thanks again.

Dragonfishgee0000 did not make it to Bluesfest.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 7:46:41 AM

deapeasea0000 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

deapeasea0000 did not make it to Bluesfest.

c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 5:21:58 AM

Seems we have a spy in our midst Anxious

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
deapeasea0000
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 1:23:15 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

incorrect, mr know it all
bonddm20020000
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 3:58:17 PM

deapeasea0000 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

I think an apology is in order.
deapeasea0000
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 1:30:54 PM

bonddm20020000 wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

I think an apology is in order.

I may be waiting a while, but that's fine. I'll still be going to Bluesfest in its 50th year so maybe Patrick and I can make up over an icy cold lemon juice (his shout, of course) some time in the near or distant future.
mccin0000
Posted: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:42:31 PM

I think he should apologise to all 0000 username related posters for derogatory remarks re the tribe of 0000
bonddm20020000
Posted: Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:50:21 AM

mccin0000 wrote:
I think he should apologise to all 0000 username related posters for derogatory remarks re the tribe of 0000

"Resistance is futile".