Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

RIP Mose Allison Options
regards
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 10:53:29 AM
Groups: Member

Passes at 89

A very influential musician.

I do not think that I ever got to see him unfortunately.

RIP
Flegal08
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:33:50 AM

The list of incredible musicians that we have lost in recent years, should highlight the need to see them before they are lost to live audiences.

I always weighed up whether to see someone on the basis I may catch them next time. Gave up that tactic a few years ago, now try to see them any chance I get.

I wished I had the opportunity to see this very influential musician, however I will now have to console myself with his recordings.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 12:02:55 PM

Flegal08 wrote:
The list of incredible musicians that we have lost in recent years, should highlight the need to see them before they are lost to live audiences.

I always weighed up whether to see someone on the basis I may catch them next time. Gave up that tactic a few years ago, now try to see them any chance I get.

I wished I had the opportunity to see this very influential musician, however I will now have to console myself with his recordings.

I hear you.

I am now at the festivals I attend making sure that I see all the older influential people, even those that seem to be very healthy.

Alan Toussaint was a prime example, it was just luck that he played at Blues And BBQ last year and we were there to see him, with Irma and others.

Not in my wildest dreams did I think it would be the last time I would see him.

RIP Mose
repete
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:06:24 PM

regards wrote:
Flegal08 wrote:

I hear you.

I am now at the festivals I attend making sure that I see all the older influential people, even those that seem to be very healthy.

Alan Toussaint was a prime example, it was just luck that he played at Blues And BBQ last year and we were there to see him, with Irma and others.

Not in my wildest dreams did I think it would be the last time I would see him.

RIP Mose

I hear you...I just want to yell out STOP! But of course it won't.

I missed Mose Allison at the 2007 jazzfest, just like I missed Etta in 2009 or James Brown at bluesfest in 2004. So yes, we must all take the chance to see the old'uns while we can because they're not getting any younger! Mose was one of those gifted musicians who drifted around the edges of my consciousness until I heard a shout out from Greg Brown about being thrilled at playing in one of the worst dives imaginable simply because Mose Allison had played there. Writer of such gems as My Brain, Your Molecular Structure, Your Mind's on Vacation gives a general idea of where he was coming from. And his piano playing was exquisite. Joe Henry, who produced his last album, The Way of the World, may with luck perform a tribute song or two (I could just see Billy and Joe singing My Brain). Yet another giant fallen...RIP

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:20:03 PM

regards wrote:

I agree man. I haven't seen Mavis Staples for awhile, so I will make sure I get to one of her sets....you never know. And probably see Buddy Guy twice....once again, you never know!

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
JamesG1
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:44:59 PM

I saw Mose play at a jazz bar in London about 5 years ago... he was fantastic. I said a quick thanks for the show while he ate his chicken at the bar afterwards.

Great playing, great songs, great humour. Was he a bluesman or a jazzman? I still don't know despite playing the hell out of his records for years. It's not important I guess.

Vale Mose! Travel well

__