Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

UB40 AND MONEY Options
mccin0000
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:48:21 PM
Groups: Member

humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:23:29 PM

Tickets for (Ali Campbells ) UB40 in Brisbane are $250 for the front seated section.
It's been on sale for weeks (months?)
And every time I check you can still get tickets in the front row...

So I'm wondering how well its selling at this price and concerned it may yet get cancelled.

I've certainly noticed a steep increase in seated gigs in general, especially in QLD.
I think the Sydney gig for UB40 was quite a bit cheaper?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:46:43 PM

My self & my Bluesfest companion hold the viewpoint that UB40 are a pop reggae band.
I would rather see Neil Diamond sing Red Red Wine.
They sing I Got You Babe which is Sonny Bono.
Kingston Town is written by Lord Creator.
Did they actually write anything of note.
How about bringing Ziggy Marley back to Bluesfest.
I know that some say that he is also poppy but at least he is a Marley and will have a bunch of Jamaicans with him.
In fact it seems a while since we had a Marley at Bluesfest.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
mccin0000
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:41:39 AM

following on from the UB40 and Money thread...

I knew a guy that considered UB40 as the best reggae band around until he realised Ali (lead singer) was white.

I also knew a lot of blokes that considered Bob Marley pop.. “the bloke that sings don’t worry about a thing” Jimmy Cliff would be more pop than ub40 and he does an awful lot of covers too…..

It’s like the guy that says Eric Clapton is a joke because he’s not from the delta’s, what’s he doing singing I shot the sheriff?

UB40 the highest selling reggae act of all time and easily the most influential Reggae band of all time. Name another reggae band that have had half their influence (the wailers at the time of bob and the wailers excluded) Aswad or inner circle?

They are held in very high regard in Jamaica as they worked with the local artists continually and paid royalties to and raised the profiles of some truly obscure local musicians.

They formed in the late 70’s with some of the most popular independent label antiestablishment songs of the thatcher era. Lots of riots and racial disharmony in England but this act was one of the voices of the disenfranchised. They came from real musical stock with their father being one of the leading folk singers in the UK in the 60’s.

It’s safe to say In the high unemployment areas of the likes of Brixton they were the soundtrack of these mixed communities.

They and Eddie Grant (another non Jamaican reggae act) received the biggest reception of the day back in ’88 at the free Nelson Mandela concert in Wembley.

Sure they do a lot of covers when they play live as they create a party vibe anyone that saw them last year would have considered them highlights of the festival and certainly not a pop act.

Let’s remember Pop is the manufactured garbage made to fill the airwaves in between commercials and brainwashing propaganda.

Go back and listen all of their stuff up until the early 90’s most of it is pure gold. I suppose that this is the norm for most BF acts..

One final note: another group that for some silly reason that doesn’t get respect they deserve “the Bee Gees” also played the free Nelson Mandela concert that day.

Remember in ’88 thatcher still held power in britian she supported the evil apartheid system and this concert would have been held without her blessing – so the Bee Gee’s should be celebrated for their stance and using their platform as one of the world’s most popular acts to further a truly noble cause…

But to the point - anyone that thinks UB40 are simply a pop act clearly are not fully aware of their work.
bambambam
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:16:02 PM

I struggle with reggae but I really enjoyed the set The Specials did from a few years back.
And Jimmy Cliff was brilliant and nothing like I had expected, the man is so happy.

I was really disappointed that Madness cancelled, knowing the way Bluesfest views cancellations.
I can only hope they might be asked again sometime, and that they had a legit reason for not turning up.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
repete
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 5:24:33 PM

IMHO, the best reggae act from the UK is Steel Pulse by a country mile. They have performed at jazziest a couple of times and were also Rasta Bob's favourite reggae band. Special mention also to Matumbi. Their 1979 album Point of View is an absolute classic, combining roots reggae with ska, rock steady and bluebeat. UB40's first album was brilliant, but I lost all interest in them after that.
I also hear Misty in Roots (also from the UK) are gigging again and would be worthy of consideration.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:06:29 PM

repete wrote:
IMHO, the best reggae act from the UK is Steel Pulse by a country mile. They have performed at jazziest a couple of times and were also Rasta Bob's favourite reggae band. Special mention also to Matumbi. Their 1979 album Point of View is an absolute classic, combining roots reggae with ska, rock steady and bluebeat. UB40's first album was brilliant, but I lost all interest in them after that.
I also hear Misty in Roots (also from the UK) are gigging again and would be worthy of consideration.

Much appreciated Pete.Considering the general popularity of Reggae there is a lack of current posters who are able to make any informed comments.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
repete
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:42:45 PM

English reggae is a whole genre in itself.

If we want to look at the soundtrack of Brixton, then it's hard to go past Linton Kwesi Johnson, sociologist, political radical and poet. Born in Jamaica and migrated to the UK...Brixton. As toasting became really big in Jamaica, LKJ conjured up dub poetry, both genres the precursors to rap and hip hop. He tours with the Dennis Bovell (ex-Matumbi) Dub Band and it would be a massive score for fest if they got him on to the bill. Brain food and highly danceable.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
InfidelRider
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:55:17 PM

bambambam wrote:
I was really disappointed that Madness cancelled, knowing the way Bluesfest views cancellations.
I can only hope they might be asked again sometime, and that they had a legit reason for not turning up.

I remember Peter Noble talking about the Madness cancellation in an interview. IIRC, he said that their management didn't consult them when they were booked, and the first they knew about it was when they were announced.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:19:43 PM

I am going to go to Bad Manners,as I happen to be in CHCH this weekend.
They appear to be very similar to Madness.

Space5279
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:01:25 PM

mccin0000 wrote:

UB40 the highest selling reggae act of all time and easily the most influential Reggae band of all time.

I don't dispute your claim here as I don't know how many albums UB40 have sold. However, I do know that Bob & The Wailers have sold upward of 80 million....would UB40 have sold more than that?

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
mccin0000
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:42:34 PM

wikipedia tells us 70m - it would be comforting to know that bob sold more. We must also consider the fact that before bob no one outside of jamacia knew had really heard reggae. he brought it to the world and ub40 many years later brought it back to the forefront.

some people considered sting and co ska music ... but didnt really sit well with a lot of people inc johnny..

https://youtu.be/EUx1i38Rco8
bambambam
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:45:11 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

They are saying that this may be their last tour...
I would have loved to see them play Bluesfest,
I know there has been some petitioning for them on here.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 6:28:46 PM

bambambam wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

They are saying that this may be their last tour...
I would have loved to see them play Bluesfest,
I know there has been some petitioning for them on here.

I have never heard of Bad Manners until this tour was announced.
I note they are playing 10 dates in Au after here.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 9:54:53 PM

A Marley I had not heard of.
Coming here to perform at Ragamuffin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Vaoy5jjYY
https://raggamuffin.co.nz/artists