Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Music Festivals etc in and around New Orleans Sept/Oct 2016 Options
regards
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:24:51 PM
Groups: Member

If any one is going to be in the Nola vicinity from Mid September until Halloween, give me a yell.

There are a stack of good things going on in that time frame including Bogalusa Blues Festival, The fried chicken festival, Bear Creek at Mardi Gras world, Treme Festival, Gretna Fest, Voice Of The Wetlands, Crescent City Blues and BBQ Fest, Voodoo Fest, plus Jazz In The Park every Thursday and all the normal stuff that goes on.

So there should be enough to keep us entertained.

Very happy to assist and to provide any information if people want it.
spanner1
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 9:56:37 PM

regards wrote:

If any one is going to be in the Nola vicinity from Mid September until Halloween, give me a yell.

There are a stack of good things going on in that time frame including Bogalusa Blues Festival, The fried chicken festival, Bear Creek at Mardi Gras world, Treme Festival, Gretna Fest, Voice Of The Wetlands, Crescent City Blues and BBQ Fest, Voodoo Fest, plus Jazz In The Park every Thursday and all the normal stuff that goes on.

god i want your life regards. One of these days I shall make time to do a trip with you.
cheers
spanner
regards
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:03:01 AM

spanner1 wrote:
regards wrote:

god i want your life regards. One of these days I shall make time to do a trip with you.
cheers
spanner

All good, would love to have you onboard, but the way things are going I may have to scale back in the future.

Work is not that flash, and my Mother is not getting any younger, so I may need to be around at home more, for both reasons mentioned.

Might as well enjoy it while I can, plus I need to get back to Nola to make sure my other half behaves whilst I am absent, and I know that she says the same about me down here, and am trying to get her to come to Bluesfest
spanner1
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2016 11:15:48 AM

regards wrote:
spanner1 wrote:
regards wrote:

cheers
spanner

All good, would love to have you onboard, but the way things are going I may have to scale back in the future.

Work is not that flash, and my Mother is not getting any younger, so I may need to be around at home more, for both reasons mentioned.

Might as well enjoy it while I can, plus I need to get back to Nola to make sure my other half behaves whilst I am absent, and I know that she says the same about me down here, and am trying to get her to come to Bluesfest
Regards i have a friend there now for two weeks. What should i steer her towards re bars /shows. private message me your number and i will give you a cal
on on
spanner
repete
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2016 12:32:56 PM

Regards i have a friend there now for two weeks. What should i steer her towards re bars /shows. private message me your number and i will give you a cal
on on
spanner[/quote]

Tuesday night at the Maple Leaf in Uptown. Rebirth Brass Band. Take the tram out along St Charles and have dinner at Jaques Imo's next door before hand.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 11:46:38 AM

repete wrote:
on on
spanner

Tuesday night at the Maple Leaf in Uptown. Rebirth Brass Band. Take the tram out along St Charles and have dinner at Jaques Imo's next door before hand.[/quote]

Excellent suggestion from Pete.

Also Jazz In the Park starts up again weekly from this coming Thursday night.

I will be back in Nola on the evening of Monday September 12, with luck you friends will still be around, and trying to stay cool.

I will message you now.
regards
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 3:26:41 PM

Well I have eased in to it slowly since getting here Tuesday.

I was stuffed to due flight problems, but you must battle on

So we got to 30/90 for happy hour and had some cheap oysters and beer and heard some cool music provided by the Bayou Saints, who contain some very good musos, but seemed to be going through the motions to a degree, we then headed down the road and saw the dino orchestra, who were younger guys doings a great take on trad Jazz, and we saw half the set and went to checkpoint to see Jaimie Lyn Vessels who is another cool local singer songwriter.

I then ran out of team.

Last night some friends summoned us to a gig at a place whose name I have forgotten. Jet Lag ? Or boozing

Anway it was fantastic. John Mooney, Mark Stone and Joe Krown doing a great take on the Blues, unreal.

Today we got to the park to salute my dad and then saw Erica Falls and band, Erica has a great voice and tours with Galactic, at present as their vocalist, so we enjoyed that.

After that we got the mighty Corey henry Treme funktet, they are awesome and in their was about 12 fantastic players up there.

They really bring it.

After that we went to rock N bowl for Chubby carrier so the Mrs can do her regular Thursday dance and that was good to catch up with people there, but now by my brain is fried.

And I will report back

Regards

Regards
regards
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:32:38 PM

Eased up a bit the last few days.

Friday we had to do some work stuff over by the Gulf in Bay St Louis, so we got back to Nola a bit late, and I missed some early shows.

And I then had to stay home and be forced to stare at my computer on and off for several hours to get progress scores for my local football club back home

via online updates for our seconds and firsts, whilst listening to some cool music on local radio, of course.

Thankfully both teams crushed theirutclassed opponents in each game and I drank gallons of Abita to celebrate, and spent a fortune on OS mobile calls but so be it.

So it was a late but good night. Got up Saturday tired and a bit shabby, but very happy, and we ventured over to the westbank a bit late to the low key the Algiers Festival.

The weather was a bit suss so the crowd was lighter than it should have been, and sadly lots of Nola people think they are too cool to venture over the river, including friends of mine, but so be it. WE saw Johnny Sansone do his normal high energy set with a full band, and he was good as usual and I will say again that he would be loved at BluesFest, great harp player, good songs, and very good band.

Next up was The Rebirth Brass Band who as always put on a very good set, with their varied set and excellent playing, some of the dancing by the locals in various states of repair, was a site to behold and the crowd loved it
As I must to mention the $3 good quality 12 ounce beers at a free festival, what a contrast from what we have to endure in Aus. So I made sure I supported the fest whilst still celebrating events back home

Next up was Rockin Doopsie Jnr who we all know and love but his act can be repetitive, but as we amongst friends and there were lots of kids in the crowd he changed it around a bit and it was cool, he was as usual a great entertainer and still does the splits very well and my girlfriend reckons he must be getting close to 60 as she tells stories from back in the day, he had a great time as did the crowd.

Good fun afternoon and we bailed back to home base for swim and the rest of the evening is a blur.

Yesterday went to the Bayou Beer garden to sadly watch the saints get narrowly defeated, which depressed to whole town, then it was a chance to get some good barbie stuff at a mates nearby backyard and after that we ended up at Rock N Bowl for a CD launch function for the vey good Cajun muso Bruce Dagriepont who is old friends with my girlfriend and this was fun night, but as usual I had to decline numerous requests to get up and show my lack of skill at the local dancing, I chose to keep hydrated and talk to the Mrs old dancing friends which was good fun, as was Bruces set.

Minimal music today, saw some trad jazz late whilst enduring a happy hour of cheap beer and oysters early and came home to sort out camping gear for Bogalusa this coming weekend

I must be getting soft.

But its all good.

TBC
Space5279
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 3:49:05 PM

regards wrote:

whilst listening to some cool music on local radio, of course.

Love reading your posts regards....what are some of the better NOLA radio stations that are worth finding online?

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
repete
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:44:48 PM

regards wrote:

Friday we had to do some work stuff over by the Gulf in Bay St Louis, so we got back to Nola a bit late, and I missed some early shows.

And I then had to stay home and be forced to stare at my computer on and off for several hours to get progress scores for my local football club back home

via online updates for our seconds and firsts, whilst listening to some cool music on local radio, of course.

Thankfully both teams crushed theirutclassed opponents in each game and I drank gallons of Abita to celebrate, and spent a fortune on OS mobile calls but so be it.

So it was a late but good night. Got up Saturday tired and a bit shabby, but very happy, and we ventured over to the westbank a bit late to the low key the Algiers Festival.

The weather was a bit suss so the crowd was lighter than it should have been, and sadly lots of Nola people think they are too cool to venture over the river, including friends of mine, but so be it. WE saw Johnny Sansone do his normal high energy set with a full band, and he was good as usual and I will say again that he would be loved at BluesFest, great harp player, good songs, and very good band.

Next up was The Rebirth Brass Band who as always put on a very good set, with their varied set and excellent playing, some of the dancing by the locals in various states of repair, was a site to behold and the crowd loved it
As I must to mention the $3 good quality 12 ounce beers at a free festival, what a contrast from what we have to endure in Aus. So I made sure I supported the fest whilst still celebrating events back home

Next up was Rockin Doopsie Jnr who we all know and love but his act can be repetitive, but as we amongst friends and there were lots of kids in the crowd he changed it around a bit and it was cool, he was as usual a great entertainer and still does the splits very well and my girlfriend reckons he must be getting close to 60 as she tells stories from back in the day, he had a great time as did the crowd.

Good fun afternoon and we bailed back to home base for swim and the rest of the evening is a blur.

Yesterday went to the Bayou Beer garden to sadly watch the saints get narrowly defeated, which depressed to whole town, then it was a chance to get some good barbie stuff at a mates nearby backyard and after that we ended up at Rock N Bowl for a CD launch function for the vey good Cajun muso Bruce Dagriepont who is old friends with my girlfriend and this was fun night, but as usual I had to decline numerous requests to get up and show my lack of skill at the local dancing, I chose to keep hydrated and talk to the Mrs old dancing friends which was good fun, as was Bruces set.

Minimal music today, saw some trad jazz late whilst enduring a happy hour of cheap beer and oysters early and came home to sort out camping gear for Bogalusa this coming weekend

I must be getting soft.

But its all good.

TBC

Geaux the Sharks!!!

It seems like you've been doing a lot of easing up since arriving in NOLA, mate....laughs!! But I can't really imagine a better place to take it easy. Geez those locals have it good...I'd crawl over cut glass to see Johnny Sansone and Rebirth on the same bill. Dopsie's an interesting character. Believe it or not I saw him live for free at the Malvern Town Hall over 10 years ago and interestingly it was close to pure zydeco and was effin' fantastic. I've seen him a few other times, including jazzfest and it's been more old school r 'n b....good but not as good as when he's back deep in his roots. It's nice over in Algiers (well, near the river) and the Old Point Bar is a great place for a beer and live music. And it's great walking along the top of the grassy levee and looking back over the city as a huge container ship passes by! I hope the ferry's are still running.

Have a great time!! I miss the place. Cheers

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:44:48 PM

you are a machine regards, albeit a softening one by your own admission.

love these updates, thanks.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:58:40 AM

Space5279 wrote:
regards wrote:

whilst listening to some cool music on local radio, of course.

Love reading your posts regards....what are some of the better NOLA radio stations that are worth finding online?

Best bet for me is WWOZ they have a good online presence, it drops out every now and again, but you hear some good old and new stuff.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:36:16 AM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:

I must be getting soft.

But its all good.

TBC

Geaux the Sharks!!!

It seems like you've been doing a lot of easing up since arriving in NOLA, mate....laughs!! But I can't really imagine a better place to take it easy. Geez those locals have it good...I'd crawl over cut glass to see Johnny Sansone and Rebirth on the same bill. Dopsie's an interesting character. Believe it or not I saw him live for free at the Malvern Town Hall over 10 years ago and interestingly it was close to pure zydeco and was effin' fantastic. I've seen him a few other times, including jazzfest and it's been more old school r 'n b....good but not as good as when he's back deep in his roots. It's nice over in Algiers (well, near the river) and the Old Point Bar is a great place for a beer and live music. And it's great walking along the top of the grassy levee and looking back over the city as a huge container ship passes by! I hope the ferry's are still running.

Have a great time!! I miss the place. Cheers

Good to hear from you mate.

I was sad to miss seeing the Sharks, but I am in a good spot to celebrate and to continue to celebrate.

Looks like it may finally be starting to cool down a touch here, as the wind changed and blew a lot of the humidity away yesterday. I will be happy if it stays like this. But who knows.

The locals take a lot of stuff for granted as do I, but you still have to keep your wits about you in most areas, and I am constantly getting told off for having the window down as we are driving through a dodgy area. I agree I love going over to Algiers but away from the river and the point it get a bit rough, that is the same every where. Bloody guns, but so be it.

The ferry is still running but they charge 2 bucks now, which does not worry me, but for some strange reason they don't take cars anymore.

And they have canned the ferry to Gretna and that is a bummer as you used to get some real good views of the city on that one.

Jumping Johnny and Re birth I hear ya. I reckon when you saw Doopsie at Malvern may have been to with the same festival that got him to Melbourne, as I think I saw him do a free show in Fed square around the same time. He played about 4 Zydeco songs the other day, and enjoyed him self dancing in the crowd etc.
Sadly Doopsie mentioned that his cousin Buckwheat is not doing that well and wants us to pray for him. I had heard he was crook but thought he was improving. We can only hope for the best.
You also will be interested to know that John Blancher senior has had to scale back his activities a little bit for the moment at Rock N Bowl as he had a heart operation a while back, he is still there but leaving early and not being silly. I got introduced to John Junior the other day and he is a cool guy.

Anyway enough from me, I better get out and do some exercise to burn off all the Abita Amber and other stuff. I will get on the pushie and head down to Audobon Park and go to the river path. Lisas place is up in the garden district on Prytania a block or so from Napoleon, so it is good for heading that way, and I am a short walk to Tips and Rouses for my essential supplies.

She has a place out the back of 2 old houses that have been converted in to apartments, that she does the management for, and it like an old pool house that have been converted, with the shared pool close by, that may have college girls jump in every now and again. But I don't look

I tried a different beer yesterday and got 18 cans of Yuengling Lager for 18 bucks, which means prices have gone up in the last 6 months, but I will survive.

Give my regards to your better half please and take it easy.

Cheers

More reports to come
regards
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:38:48 PM

I slowed down briefly in the last week and last Tuesday and Wednesday there was no music or going out for me as problems had to be sorted back home, and that sadly is when good music is happening here, due to the time difference.

Got back in to it on Thursday and started off at DBA with John King Cleary as the Park was cancelled and he put on an excellent solo set, and his playing was great as usual

After that I got waylaid by friends but we ended up at Checkpoint for some time, the band were very good, but their name is beyond me.

Friday we head off for a couple of days of camping at Bogulusa the home of Henry Byrd, at their great little BluesFest.

We got there early and set up in nearly the same spot as last year and had some shade, luckily as it was bloody hot for this time of the year.

There are heat records being broken here too, funny about that. We kicked back and reaquainted ourselves with some krewe from last year.

Then saw from memory Voo Davis who I had not seen before he was a good guitar player with a cool band and excellent presence, check him out if you can.

Next up was Samantha Phish who I enjoy, but she was a bit over the top for me that night, so we went off to the smaller stage to some traditional stuff with the Louisiana Hayride and that was different some fine old timers and good old style playing and stories, then it was back to the main stage for Tab Benoit and friends, he was on fire from early doors and was loving it. He had numerous friends get up and play including Sam Phish and was enjoying the feedback from an appreciative crowd. Great set.

Late night camp ground jams followed, and we surfaced to the heat and fun and games.

The first band Saturday on the big stage was local Nola Blues stalwart Mr Ed wills and he band Blues for sale, he put on his normal polished show, which we heard whilst getting our shit together at our campsite. Next up was a good Aussie chap Harper with his band the mid west kind. I had not seen him for years but new he was a good harp player but was not aware that he is now quite polished on the didge, his Mrs told me that he has now playing the didge for ten years, and he is certainly getting good at it, he used it as a lead instrument a few times which was enjoyable to see. It was still early arvo and very warm so a lot of day trippers had not turned up, which was a pity as it was a good hard working set. But he yanks that were there loved it.
We then headed to river and after that some shade to see a friend of the Mrs, Waylon Thibodeaux, play some excellent Cajun music to a small but happy hot audience.

Then I had to get in the kids water park again before we went to our camp to check out the various supplies, after that there was the normal very good powerful set from the Cedric Burnside project.

Then it was Paul Thorn who id not do much for me so we went to the smaller stage via the kids water park again, for some excellent Zydeco music from Chubby Carrier and his band.

Back to the main stage after this for a cool set from a new name to me Danielle Nicole, I was battling by now, but remember that she had a good voice and that a couple of the acoustic number were very good.
Marc the Brute Brousard finished off with his good mix of rock, blue eyed soul and some Cajun stuff, I was battling by then but know I enjoyed it.

Sunday it was pack up and head to Nola for the fried Chicken fest in the square, the pool at home was much needed when we got there, and then it was off to a very crowded square, it was good to catch up with some old friends, but it was packed as R and B legend Beyoncé had played at the dome Saturday night and lots of people were in town.

We saw a bit of Sweet Crude who were good and then about half of Tank and The Bangas and Mash, before we gave up and headed to a friend of a friends bar to see Sam Price and the true Believers, Sam is the bass player from the Honey Island Swamp Band and it was a very good band with and a good show but we were battling so it was home at about 11.

Last night a friend took me to see the not o mighty saints at the dome, the only good thing about the game was Irma Thomas singing the National Anthem to start and rebirth and the other cool stuff at half time. Sadly the saints were not much chop, and lost to the reviled Falcons.

My brain is now gone again, as we have been out and sleep beckons, I will report again soon.

TBC

Flegal08
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:16:03 AM

To say I look forward to your reports are an understatement. Every time I catch them, it just makes me want to head on over and spend some time experiencing the scene.

regards
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 2:33:05 PM

Flegal08 wrote:
To say I look forward to your reports are an understatement. Every time I catch them, it just makes me want to head on over and spend some time experiencing the scene.

Glad you enjoy my rambling
regards
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 3:38:10 PM

Just tried to post my latest long winded report of the huge amount of music I have seen in recent times, Thanks to bear creek bayou and treme fest but possibly due to the fact it s getting late, I deleted to whole lot by mistake so I will redo in the morning.

Oh well bed beckons
Space5279
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 3:43:44 PM

regards wrote:

Just tried to post my latest long winded report of the huge amount of music I have seen in recent times, Thanks to bear creek bayou and treme fest but possibly due to the fact it s getting late, I deleted to whole lot by mistake so I will redo in the morning.

Oh well bed beckons

come on man!

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 3:55:09 PM

it's not bed time here........
repete
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 5:53:20 PM

regards wrote:

Oh well bed beckons

Mate, you've been doing some serious festing. Bear Creek Bayou Fest is a funkathon!!!

Now's the time to slow down, a couple of quiet ales at a window seat at Checkpoint Charlies contemplating the review of the weekend. Did you see Zigaboo and George with the Foundation of Funk? And I also noticed Pee Wee Ellis was meant to be cruising around and I gather just to drop into different sets from time to time...now if that actually happened it would be amazing!

Sooo...take your time but waiting on the report :)

Hangin' out on Frenchmen