Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Which festival in the world would you go to? Options
curlyloc
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 1:41:29 PM
Groups: Member

Dearest Posters

4 of us have decided to go to a great international music festival in the next year or 2. All of us are BF veterans; and love music in general - especially blues, rock and reggae.

Your advice most appreciated....I guess New Orleans is an obvious choice but would like to hear from the experts.

Glastonbury has also been suggested to us but it just looks too huge!

Thanks in advance

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
lovemusic
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 4:19:03 PM

we are thinking of trying a festival in zanzibar nest february as we enjoy african music
pnoble
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 7:51:41 PM
Groups: Administration

I hear Zanzibar Fest is fantastic.
Other African fest is of couse- festival In The Desert - Mali, or perhaps Jo'burg Jazz Festival on in July.Closer to home in July - the Rainforest Festival Sarawak, an absolute stunner. for something really different - Ati Atihan in The Philippines - during lent is the closest REAL Mardi Gras to Australia.
Maybe Latitude Fest / UK - or Cornbury - I have attended both and found them most enjoyable. Waterfront Blues Festival, Portland, Oregon is the biggest blues fest west of the Mississippi - it's on in July - combination of Beale St Fest, Memphis one weekend and Jazzfest weekend before is unbeatable - happens last weekend in April , first weekend in May. SWSW in Austin has it's good moments. Ottawa Cisco Bluesfest is simply awesome in Canada.
In Europe there are many - Montreux Jazz fest or North Sea Jazz fest are great - Umbria Jazz Fest usually has plenty of New Orleans funky stuff. Nice Jazz Festival is great.....or what about The Dreaming Fest on the Woodford site - THIS WEEKEND.
best
Peter

pnoble
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 7:51:42 PM

I hear Zanzibar Fest is fantastic.
Other African fest is of couse- festival In The Desert - Mali, or perhaps Jo'burg Jazz Festival on in July.Closer to home in July - the Rainforest Festival Sarawak, an absolute stunner. for something really different - Ati Atihan in The Philippines - during lent is the closest REAL Mardi Gras to Australia.
Maybe Latitude Fest / UK - or Cornbury - I have attended both and found them most enjoyable. Waterfront Blues Festival, Portland, Oregon is the biggest blues fest west of the Mississippi - it's on in July - combination of Beal St Fest, Memphis one weekend and Jazzfest New Orleans weekend before is unbeatable - happens last weekend in April , first weekend in May. SWSW in Austin has it's good moments. Ottawa Cisco Bluesfest is simply awesome in Canada.
In Europe there are many - Montreux Jazzfest or North Sea Jazz fest are great - Umbria Jazz Fest usually has plenty of New Orleans funky stuff. Nice Jazz Festival is great.....or what about The Dreaming Fest on the Woodford site - THIS WEEKEND.
best
Peter

repete
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 8:34:40 PM

Bonnaroo has a pretty eclectic lineup but is only over a single weekend.

The Festival International de Lousiane in Lafayette is held at the end of April (over 5 days) and features a lot of African as well as Louisiana musicians. And it's free. Then head to New Orleans for the second weekend of jazzfest. If you really love music, you could go the the French Quarter Fest in New Orleans (also free) around mid-April before the Festival International.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
oldbilly1
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 9:11:10 PM

curlyloc wrote:
Dearest Posters

4 of us have decided to go to a great international music festival in the next year or 2. All of us are BF veterans; and love music in general - especially blues, rock and reggae.

Your advice most appreciated....I guess New Orleans is an obvious choice but would like to hear from the experts.

Thanks in advance

Lets see - if I was ten years younger and could still manage to party that hard, I would get to Glastonbury for the rock, dance and general vibe, without wondering if my back would give out after crashing out in a mud-filled tent...
Sunsplash used to be the reggae, etc fest, but seems to have lost its way and then fallen off the radar. Not sure if a relaunch is on the cards or if another has taken its mantle - Basmati?
In Africa - Fest in the Desert - kind of a unique blend of music, time and space
Montreux is a great fest, with a deserved rep for high quality and a diverse range - gotta get close to the top of the pick in Europe if you are cashed up.
In the States it would be hard for me to go past Bonnaroo for the mix on offer, but Jazzfest in Orleans would always come out on top
Anybody got some suggestions for Sth America?
c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 9:39:28 PM
Groups: Guest

oldbilly1 wrote:
curlyloc wrote:
Dearest Posters

Thanks in advance

Anybody got some suggestions for Sth America?

How about this one.

ROCK AL PARQUE, Bogota, Colombia
June 27-29 (free)

The Rock al Parque festival, launched in 1995, has become South America's biggest rockfest in recent years -- some 320,000 people traveled to Simon Bolivar Park in 2006 for a weekend of Colombia's biggest rock bands and renowned international headliners. Funded by Colombia's culture secretary, the free festival has included some of rock's biggest names, including Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Manu Chao, and Bloc Party. In the days leading up to Rock al Parque, the festival organizers host a series of panel discussions on music production, management, and the recording industry.

arbee0
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 10:00:48 PM

I'm no authority having only been to a handful in Europe
Just be aware that some are more a series of individually ticketed concerts rather than the all-inclusive tent-hopping festivals we're used to here.
There is still the festival precinct and vibe including free music, usually unknown and of variable quality.
But buying tickets to the headliners can quickly become bank-busting, particularly in somewhere like Montreux which runs for a fortnight!
Blue Balls (yes that's what it's called - don't blame me, I didn't name it;) in Luzern is another I know that follows this format.
Still worth doing for the experience though - just choose headliners as carefully or as recklessly as the bank balance allows.
curlyloc
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 9:03:15 AM

Thanks everyone! I knew you'd have some good advice...will do some more research into your suggestions.

Further counsel welcomed!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
pnoble
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 11:06:39 AM

hi,
I left off a few
how could I not have listed the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass fest in Golden Gate Park next October - and while in San Francisco- Michael Franti's Power to the Peaceful festival.
also Austin City Limits Festival.
there are some great Reggae festivals in the US - check out Sierra Nevada World music festival or Reggae on the River.
If you go to jamaica for Sunfest - be very, very careful - not safe coming and going to the event.
alickweber
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 12:15:27 PM

For what it's worth I had a thoroughly great time in Montreal while the Jazz Fest was on... Great mix of music, loads of free shows and some amazing artists if you wanna pay, all that in possibly one of the coolest cities that I have ever visited.
youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:57:37 PM

If I had the readies I'd be hotfooting it to Roots On The River in Vermont. If you hurry you might still make it.

Produced by some friends of Fred Eaglesmith, it's usually Fred and some complimentary acts. This year it's Fred, Chris Smither, Junior Brown and a few more.

A mini big top setup, plus the local opera house and meeting house for acoustic sunday show.

Otherwise for more hot Fred action, I'd go for a fred train. You ride the train with punters and musicians for a week, with shows on the train and at venues along the way.
It's my understanding that you can just pester the living crap out of the bands aroung the clock as they're stuck there with about 40 borderline obsessive fans. All aboard!

There's a few to choose from - one with glass topped cabin for scenic mountain views, one to Churchill - polar bear capital of the world with bear teasing included (they love the attention), and one with a real live steam train.

How about Waynefest, held in the near ghost town of Wayne? Countryish from memory, a good lineup very small.
curlyloc
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 3:33:08 PM

OMFG Look at the line up at last year's Hardly Strictly Bluesgrass festival (thanks Pete - great tip)

Fri Oct 3 (10:30am - Noon & 2:30pm - 6:45pm)

10:30am Ruby Jane

11:30am MC Hammer

Banjo Stage

2:30pm Sharon Little

3:35pm The Jerry Douglas Band

5:15pm Robert Plant and Alison Krauss featuring T Bone Burnett

Sat Oct 4 (10:45am - 7:15pm)

Banjo Stage

10:45am Band Joe & the Whyte Laydie

11:00am Jimmie Dale Gilmore

11:55am Laurie Lewis & Friends

12:55pm Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band

2:05pm Three Girls & Their Buddy (Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin & Buddy Miller)

3:25pm Hot Rize

4:40pm Odetta

6:00pm Steve Earle & The Bluegrass Dukes

Star Stage

11:00am Dry Branch Fire Squad

12:05pm Waco Brothers

1:30pm Richard Thompson

2:50pm The Desert Rose Band

4:10pm The Del McCoury Band

5:40pm Global Drum Project featuring Mickey Hart & Zakir Hussain

Rooster Stage

11:15am Carlene Carter

12:20pm Guy Clark & Verlon Thompson

1:30pm From The Jayhawks: Mark Olson & Gary Louris

2:45pm Nick Lowe

4:05pm Dave Alvin & The Guilty Women (Christy McWilson, Amy Farris, Laurie Lewis, Sarah Brown, Lisa Pankratz, Nina Gerber, Cindy Cashdollar)

5:45pm Robert Earl Keen

Arrow Stage

11:00am Tift Merritt

12:00pm Los Cenzontles featuring Santiago Jimenez

1:05pm Bad Livers

2:20pm The Gourds

3:45pm Jerry Jeff Walker

5:20pm Asleep At The Wheel

Porch Stage

11:00am Cyndi Harvell

11:50am Sons & Brothers

12:35pm Samantha Robichaud

1:40pm Mike Farris & the Roseland Rhythm Revue

2:40pm Marty Willson-Piper (of the church) & the Mood Maidens

3:40pm Joe Purdy

4:40pm The Roan Mountain Hilltoppers

5:45pm John Jorgenson Quintet

Sun Oct 5 (11am - 7pm)

Banjo Stage

11:20am Darrell Scott Band

12:20pm Hazel Dickens

1:45pm Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys

2:55pm Earl Scruggs

4:15pm Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder

5:45pm Emmylou Harris

Star Stage

11:00am Bill Kirchen

12:00pm Riders in the Sky

1pm Ben Kweller

2:30pm Elvis Costello's High Whines & Spirits

4:15pm Gogol Bordello

5:45pm Heavy Trash

Rooster Stage

11:00am Jon Langford's Skull Orchard feat. Sally Timms & the Burlington Welsh Male Chorus

11:55am Kevin Welch & Kieran Kane & Fats Kaplin

1pm Bonnie "Prince" Billy

2:20pm Greg Brown

3:25pm Iron & Wine

4:40pm Loudon Wainwright III

6:00pm Iris DeMent

Arrow Stage

11:00am Poor Man's Whiskey

12:00pm Moonalice

1:05pm Alison Brown Quartet with Joe Craven

2:10pm The Infamous Stringdusters

3:20pm The Waybacks

4:30pm Pegi Young

5:50pm Tea Leaf Green

Porch Stage

11:00am The Wronglers

12:05pm Red Wine

1:10pm Heidi Clare & AtaGallop

2:15pm Bill Evans String Summit with Megan Lynch

3:20pm The Opera Dukes

4:40pm Justin Townes Earle

5:45pm Maura O'Connell

Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:02:53 PM

jesus christ! i'll add that one to the list.

of all the overseas festivals i've been to, i probably wouldn't actually recommend any of them... but if you're willing to drop a shitload of cash, then i would very, very much recommend you experience sxsw.

buy a pass (pretty much guaranteed entry to any show you like), get lots of sleep before you go and let the city take over for 5 days. all the shows are in bars, a lot of them smaller places than these acts usually play, and it's a relentless onslaught 24 hours a day.

next year if i don't decide to hit sxsw again i'm thinking about hitting day of the dead and then voodoo fest in new orleans. i'd love to do a blues cruise and of course one of fred's train trips would be sublime as well.

The poster formerly known as Dan
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:02:23 PM

Yes Dan, I think jesus christ! is correct. In fact looking at that lineup I'm thinking JC may have been guest curator last year.
curlyloc
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 1:55:33 PM

Dan... wrote:

of all the overseas festivals i've been to, i probably wouldn't actually recommend any of them... but if you're willing to drop a shitload of cash, then i would very, very much recommend you experience sxsw.

Thanks for this tip. Having looked at this year's line up http://sxsw.com/music/shows/schedule/(with our very own Blue King Brown as "world music"), can you tell me more about why this festival is so special? I don't know 90% of the acts - but of course that could be the nice surprise. Is it a great vibe? How crowded does it get?

melaniejean21
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:06:08 PM

The Green man Festival in UK looks pretty good.
finleym
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 3:05:54 PM

5:15pm Robert Plant and Alison Krauss featuring T Bone Burnett

Sheeeeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaaaat.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
Dan...
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 4:25:35 PM

curlyloc wrote:
Dan... wrote:

Thanks for this tip. Having looked at this year's line up http://sxsw.com/music/shows/schedule/(with our very own Blue King Brown as "world music"), can you tell me more about why this festival is so special? I don't know 90% of the acts - but of course that could be the nice surprise. Is it a great vibe? How crowded does it get?

the vibe is weird. it's not bad by any means, but it's intense.

basically the whole town turns into a music festival, they close off a couple of the main streets and every single pub/shop/kebab shop turn into a live music venue. it's really more of a music industry thing than strictly for punters and it's a place where a lot of deals go down.

you get the chance to see bands in venues far smaller than usual and it's just a whole lot of fun. though sometimes the production levels at some of the venues leave a little to be desired. it doesn't surprise me that you don't know 90% of the acts - there were around 1800 bands!

The poster formerly known as Dan
curlyloc
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 9:46:23 AM

Thanks muchly everyone for your thoughts. At this stage Pete's suggestion of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - a free festival - is leading:

http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/

Interesting history in that it began as a billionaire funded event in 2001. Imagine if we could get a Packer, Forrester or Pratt to fund something similar here.