Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

MOJO MUD Options
waffles
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 7:39:43 AM
Groups: Member

myself and most of my friends have not been near mojo much this festival,but had to see THE DECEMBERISTS & NOEL GALLAGHER last night,and surprisingly was not over packed...just right.being a big decemberist fan I found this set one of the best so far this festival,and it made all the pestering on this forum worth while...they were superbApplause
BUT...the mojo tent stinks and unlike the other tents was full of rubbish...hard work for the few vollies trying to clean up.the area just outside the back of the tent is a mess.mud,mud and more mud. this area was like this last year and really needs to be looked at.hopefully before the rock royalty arrives today. outherwise yesterday was one of the best days ive had at bluesfest in a long time.
graham nash was near perfect,jackson browne also...these guys own the crowd...they were loved.
I also caught the very young who 8 who ? in the buskers tent. these guys will be huge...if their voices don't change as they age,great harmonies.
hope to catch up with a few of you today.
marshall,lukas nelson st paul ...could be a jambalaya day.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
drwildare
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 9:11:38 AM

Definitely a crossroads day

The Dr
kleinigclan
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 10:07:47 AM

If it is a Jambalaya day, check app for revised set times. Enjoy.
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:06:46 PM

Was definitely a Crossroads Day. Only went to MOJO for Noel Gallagher and his band

It was a dark cesspit at the back of Mojo. Maybe put some wood chip down there in future?

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 4:45:40 PM

2009 when bbvd played was the wet year with some mud.
this year was nothing.
I had a shower each night and washed my leather sandals out.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
mpember
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:34:03 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
Maybe put some wood chip down there in future?

That isn't always the solution. They trucked in wood chips a couple of years ago and the end result was that the wood started to rot and ferment before the festival had ended. The festival entrance from the camping area ended up smelling like you were walking through a compost pile.

The raised wooden paths placed over industrial drainage at Red Devil was handy. The gravel seen near many of the tents is only handy if it is maintained and not allowed to trap water after being compacted by foot traffic on Thursday.

I normally bring a cheap pair of boots to make it possible to simply chuck them away at the end of the festival.

If the festival is going to continue to afford headliners of the calibre that they are now aiming for, patrons have to accept that a BDO / Falls / Golden Plains crowd (and crowd experience) is needed to pay the bill. You can't expect a 5 day BBBF to provide a 'Day On The Green' experience and keep the prices as low as they currently are.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:45:26 PM

maybe they should put the younger demographic bands on a particular day...I suggest Monday. then the young crowd who seem to love the mud could revel in it.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
nelson7007
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:03:23 PM

Mud was manageable. The old workboots coped very nicely even walking through the little swamp at the back of Mojo so just accept that it is Byron Bay at Easter and it rains and dress for the conditions.

mpember
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:19:58 PM

waffles wrote:
maybe they should put the younger demographic bands on a particular day...I suggest Monday. then the young crowd who seem to love the mud could revel in it.

That is sort of what happened when they first introduced the Monday. Most of the problems were related to poor planning. Similar planning problems were caused by the special Tuesday event.

The Harper Monday was extreme because it attracted a younger crowd to an event which wasn't ready for it. I don't think this is the case any more.

The problems common with the Tuesday addition was the confusion caused by the last minute nature of the change. Campers expecting a late checkout were suddenly told they must be out by 10am. Food stalls and shops were running out of stock early in the day and the high proportion of single-day patrons meant the crowds were generally more frantic.

Some of these problem can be avoided. Some cannot.

I think it all comes down to patrons realising that the BF of old is not coming back. Gone are the days of BBBF being a venue for seeing a few headliners and a bunch of acts who would otherwise not have been able to tour Australia on their own. The closest you can get to that would be to stick to the smaller tents and likely skip Mojo and Crossroads after about 4pm. Other events now fill that space in the festival landscape. With BF now touring many of the acts under the BF brand, you may need to opt to seeing side shows if you want a seated venue with AC.
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:15:18 AM

mpember wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:
Maybe put some wood chip down there in future?

That isn't always the solution. They trucked in wood chips a couple of years ago and the end result was that the wood started to rot and ferment before the festival had ended. The festival entrance from the camping area ended up smelling like you were walking through a compost pile.

The raised wooden paths placed over industrial drainage at Red Devil was handy. The gravel seen near many of the tents is only handy if it is maintained and not allowed to trap water after being compacted by foot traffic on Thursday.

I normally bring a cheap pair of boots to make it possible to simply chuck them away at the end of the festival.

If the festival is going to continue to afford headliners of the calibre that they are now aiming for, patrons have to accept that a BDO / Falls / Golden Plains crowd (and crowd experience) is needed to pay the bill. You can't expect a 5 day BBBF to provide a 'Day On The Green' experience and keep the prices as low as they currently are.

Wood chips round the edge of the tents would have been fine,after all the peat smells like sewage anyway and a lot of people commented to me about it.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
freexone
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:51:26 PM

The surface seems to be a thick layer of 'road-base' which when compacted does not seem to drain very well
I was wondering if crushed sandstone might be better?
One good thing about the road-base is that it dries up pretty quickly
After the mud-bath that was Sunday, I was suprised to see that a lot of areas were nearly dry.
Perhaps they could have portable 'duck-boards' that are moved into place after a deluge.
This would require a transport solution that won't make the mud worse,
but there have been other muddy productions that have succeeded in solving the problem.