Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Chairs in Crossroads Options
drwildare
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 12:31:19 PM
Groups: Member

It seems like no one is enforcing the no chairs policy in Crossroads. If you are going to have a rule / policy banning camping chairs in the major tents you have to enforce the rule from the beginning of the day. Their are already over 50 camp chairs in th standing area ands only 1:30 Pm.

The Dr is in the house
henskens
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 6:52:23 PM

As a regular patron who this year has to use a wheelchair because of a femur fracture, I cannot understand why the disabled area is so full of people on their fold up chairs. It is so bad tonight that people in wheelchairs are lucky to get onto the platform, let alone get anywhere near the front. I do understand that carers need to be near the disabled person for whom they are caring, but row after row of able people in fold up chairs is not IMO, OK. It is equivalent to parking one's car in a disabled car park.
nelson7007
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 12:41:37 AM

Chairs dotted around standing area for joe bonamassa and not a security person to be seen. Lots of smokers too with one group of very happy campers just lighting up and passing them round. Seriously, why bother having rules if no one there to enforce them?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 1:17:34 AM

It started raining earlier in the evening.
I was having a kip outside the tent and drops of rain started during Vintage Trouble so all the chairs moved inside.
It was wet during Fleetwood Mac so they stayed inside.
I got to Joe B about 10.40 pm and there was not a big crowd.
There were quite a number of empty Bluesfest seats so I took one and as the set went on lots more people left so I could have a whole row to myself.
Pointless for security guards to push all the chair people out in the rain,especially during F M,which had a big crowd.
The chair people filled up space which otherwise would have been empty.
And they moved forward several times to create more space for those squeezing in out of the rain.
I saw very little smoking of any substance.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
nelson7007
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 6:44:37 AM

clear for all to see and inhale 30 metres from the stage and well inside the tent 🤓 😷
waffles
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 7:26:52 AM

some of the crowd up front in crossroads wouldn't need a shower later as there was a BIG leak over the crowd. susan tedeschi appreciated the irony when they played the sky is crying. and what a great version of..a little help from my friends...a highlight.

and the attendants in the disabled area COULD help the patrons get to their chairs.i noticed the guy in mojo just sit there while a guy with a walking stick struggled to get a chair off a stack of chairs.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
drwildare
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 1:56:43 PM

henskens wrote:
As a regular patron who this year has to use a wheelchair because of a femur fracture, I cannot understand why the disabled area is so full of people on their fold up chairs. It is so bad tonight that people in wheelchairs are lucky to get onto the platform, let alone get anywhere near the front. I do understand that carers need to be near the disabled person for whom they are caring, but row after row of able people in fold up chairs is not IMO, OK. It is equivalent to parking one's car in a disabled car park.

Sorry henskens a number of the people in the disabled section in camp chairs are also disabled. Just because we don't need wheel chairs doesn't make us able bodied. Instead of complaining about the disabled who are using camp chairs approach Mr Noble and have him increase the size of the disabled area. I myself am not confined to a wheel chair but I am still disabled and I only moved to the disabled section when the chair rule introduced.

The Dr is in the house
jgd
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 12:29:42 PM

There are a lot of people with injuries, chronic problems like arthritis, broken ankles etc who cannot stand for hours. They paid the same money as others , and should be able to set up a camp chair and see.
Those who want to crowd in a shuffle around dancing and knocking into people like idiots, are the problem. Stay home and dance to a CD others are their to See and here the music.
bambambam
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 3:18:05 PM

jgd wrote:
There are a lot of people with injuries, chronic problems like arthritis, broken ankles etc who cannot stand for hours. They paid the same money as others , and should be able to set up a camp chair and see.
Those who want to crowd in a shuffle around dancing and knocking into people like idiots, are the problem. Stay home and dance to a CD others are their to See and here the music.

There's a history behind the decision to ban camp chairs in those tents.

Ask anyone here, It was crazy before, you couldn't even get in the tents.
Whats worse, some people got territorial, empty camp chairs everywhere and nowhere to sit.
Best thing the festival ever did was ban the stupid things.
Now they are creeping back again, same old same old,,,

Sure there are people with medical conditions who need to sit. (last year I was one of them)
But the answer isn't to bring back the stupid chairs in all the tents again. (never gonna happen)

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
mpember
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 6:58:25 PM

I agree with bambambam. The pre-ban period was becoming utter chaos. Even since bringing in the ban, my mother almost broken here ankle while trying to make her way through the crowd of people who thought that sitting 'just over to the side' was an excuse to ignore the ban. It got to the point where I simply started packing up any chair that was in my way and unoccupied. People started using camping chairs as a buffer in much the same way that some people use picnic blankets at an open air cinema.

Perhaps BBBF could switch their focus away from the sunset lounges and VIP viewing areas to simply offering reserved seating in the larger tents. They could operate like a cinema and sell the seats on a first-come, first-served basis. Like a cinema, there would be the expectation that people remain in their seats for the duration of the performance. Similarly, there would be an expectation that every patron be in attendance prior to the show starting. They could offer a discount to those with a medical condition recognised by the government as requiring 'special access' and then offer the rest of the seats to those who are willing to pay for the convenience of a ticketed concert. It would require greater policing, but the pricing could factor in hiring an actual staff member instead of a volunteer just racking up their required hours.

I acknowledge that some patrons may find themselves in need of a seat to make it through the day. But just as the travel and cost of attending BF was beyond me this year, some patrons may need to come to terms with the reality that they will have to stick to the side shows and staying home with a DVD.
pathfinder
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:00:53 PM

If there is a ban on foldup chairs in Crossroads then it should be enforced, regardless of the weather,
As for the disabled viewing platforms, I saw a guy on crutches
with an obvious broken leg who couldn't even get up the ramp because of
able-bodied people standing on it.The attendant was too engrossed in the performance
on stage to even notice the guys plight,not good enough.
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:10:40 PM

We were standing near the disabled platforms during Melissa Etheridge and I saw girls using them for dancing stages
psulli12
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:30:40 PM

it was pretty frustrating during the downpour on Saturday night during Mick Fleetwood I think.
People were absolutely soaked through. I knew there was room at the very centre of the tent, but you couldn't get there because the chairs act as a barrier (Many of which were empty).
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 4:42:48 PM

A major issue which needs addressed is people leaving the Bluesfest chairs for up to 2 sets while leaving bags on them.
For example during Monday afternoon in Mojo during Blind Boys/Russell Morris there was a guy 2 rows in front of me guarding 4 seats,two on either side of him,in this manner.
A guy sitting behind me picked an argument with me because there was 3 empty seats to my left,one guarded by a hat which a person leaving had asked someone behind her to look after while she went away.
A couple came wanting 2 seats and I told them that any of the 3 were fair game...including the hat.
The bloke behind me asked if I was going to police the whole tent.
I said no it is not my job but that couple did ask me about the 3 seats next to me so I answered their query.
His companion then suggested that it was ok to leave for a toilet break
But where do you draw the line.
If such people have paid $X to occupy a seat for the festival that is fine.
In the absence of that,if you leave your seat for whatever reason that is tough.
I don't care if it is your husband or wife who has left.
Get out of your comfort zone and find a solo seat beside someone you do not know.
Come back and take pot luck.
Bluesfest need to define these rules on the handout card.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:33:58 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
A major issue which needs addressed is people leaving the Bluesfest chairs for up to 2 sets while leaving bags on them.
For example during Monday afternoon in Mojo during Blind Boys/Russell Morris there was a guy 2 rows in front of me guarding 4 seats,two on either side of him,in this manner.
A guy sitting behind me picked an argument with me because there was 3 empty seats to my left,one guarded by a hat which a person leaving had asked someone behind her to look after while she went away.
A couple came wanting 2 seats and I told them that any of the 3 were fair game...including the hat.
The bloke behind me asked if I was going to police the whole tent.
I said no it is not my job but that couple did ask me about the 3 seats next to me so I answered their query.
His companion then suggested that it was ok to leave for a toilet break
But where do you draw the line.
If such people have paid $X to occupy a seat for the festival that is fine.
In the absence of that,if you leave your seat for whatever reason that is tough.
I don't care if it is your husband or wife who has left.
Get out of your comfort zone and find a solo seat beside someone you do not know.
Come back and take pot luck.
Bluesfest need to define these rules on the handout card.

Quite a few times I have left the dissabled platform for a toilet break & found the seat I had was taken & can't say I was happy but that's just how it goes.
I'm sure more than once I've taken a seat from someone under the same circumstances.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
TreanMachine
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2016 2:10:23 PM

Yes i have been to 19 Blues Festivals... And they just keep getting better and better, I have 2 Points.. CHAIRS, People who leave them to save a spot i feel is very unfair, especially when it's raining! Previous post about people with injuries, there are chairs to sit on already, and those without injuries un attended chairs can result in tripping over them when dark. Same when families set up camp in the big tent's for the day and take up a HUGE space, bring you kids sure, but take them home when tired, it isn't a creche !!! Trying to get inside the big top for Tom Jones was such a challenge around all the chairs and the aggressive folks in them !! Besides that .. The grounds were exceptionally clean and the grounds looked amazing at all times .. so WELL DONE organizers , that makes for such a pleasant festival experience !! See you next year for my 20 year anniversary !!!
mpember
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2016 7:43:19 PM

TreanMachine wrote:
Previous post about people with injuries, there are chairs to sit on already, and those without injuries un attended chairs can result in tripping over them when dark. Same when families set up camp in the big tent's for the day and take up a HUGE space, bring you kids sure, but take them home when tired, it isn't a creche !!! Trying to get inside the big top for Tom Jones was such a challenge around all the chairs and the aggressive folks in them !! Besides that .. The grounds were exceptionally clean and the grounds looked amazing at all times .. so WELL DONE organizers , that makes for such a pleasant festival experience !!

I don't have an issue with people bringing their kids. I remember a family I saw last year with their kids piled in a hand-drawn trailer with those glowing poi things dangling off it. They didn't drag it into the tents and the sleeping kids all had earmuffs on. With the extensive seating available at almost every food / drink venue, there is ample justification for organisers to ban BYO chairs / picnic blankets. The trick is having the guts to enforce it. It may mean a few of the grey nomads have to opt out of attending if they can't survive with one of those small folding stools. It may mean a few people have to sit next to someone they don't know as their eat their vegan pizza. But it will also mean less time spent patting down chairs at the entrances and maybe a few patrons will have to put a bit more thought in to how they smuggle their grog in.

The removal of BYO chairs may even free up space in the tents for a better facility and better policing of the disabled viewing decks.

TreanMachine wrote:
See you next year for my 20 year anniversary !!!

Wouldn't the 21st event will be the 20th anniversary? ;)
waffles
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 7:15:19 AM

the audio feed headphones give you good sound and the big screens solve watching the artists.
just like at the drive-inAnxious

so you don't have to crowd the aisles and walkways. a few years ago they have marshalls to monitor this.i think they need these for safety reasons.

I don't think they should be banned completely...for jambalaya for instance but just monitor the use.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
eileenk9
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 1:15:18 PM

We actually forgot to pack our camping chairs this year and did not miss them at all on Sunday. It was actually better not having to lug them around the grounds.

Going to try the audio feed headphones next year. :)
Styx1954
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 8:54:28 PM

I do not have a prob;em with people having their own seats in Mojo and Crossroads as long as they are kept in the space between and they do not move forward of the first row of the provided seats. The smaller tents theres does not seem to have been much of a problem as far as I experienced.

My pet bug the last couple of years is concert goers not removing their hats inside the tents. It is difficult enough when you are vertically challenged, like my sister, without some boofhead not removing his/her hat.