Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Monday crowds Options
vanessabaconhall0000
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 3:06:35 PM
Groups: Member

Hi all,

Ive been to many bluesfests and last one was 2014 for three days- Thursday was great, but I was really disappointed with how big the crowds were on the Friday and Saturday. I really want to see Joe Bonamassa, but would actually like to see him- not just hear him whilst 5 deep outside of the tent! what are the Monday crowds like? a bit like Thursday by any chance?

Best bluesfest I went to was 08, again, an early easter and the whole week was not busy at all and I remember the Monday night being phenomenal when the Black Crowes closed the crossroads! would love it to be intimate like that.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
mpember
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 4:26:28 PM

To quote Bob: the times, they are a changin'

Since the expansion to a 5-day event, and the bigger names being added to the lineup, the crowds have been increasing. The new venue accommodates the larger crowd well. But it is not designed to have everyone in a tent at once. If you really want to be down the front, you may need to turn up just as the previous set is finishing.
Flegal08
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 7:56:26 AM

and sometimes that doesn't work, in some cases with really big acts people get there early and don't move, just to make sure they get prime position.
mpember
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 8:17:45 AM

Flegal08 wrote:
and sometimes that doesn't work, in some cases with really big acts people get there early and don't move, just to make sure they get prime position.

There is always that risk. It has not been so bad in recent years. Gone are the days of the single stand-out headliners and ticket prices low enough that most of the people there bought a single day ticket just to see the closing act on Mojo.

A few tips:

- Always carry three beers and two wines.
- Always bring along a small female to use as 'lead vehicle'.
- Always pretend that you are simply wanting to make it to somewhere well away from the people you are pushing past.
- Always be 6 inches taller than me.

These simple tips will give you the confidence needed to make your way through any crowd and find a way of blocking my view of the stage.
nocheesegromit
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 10:00:20 AM

mpember it doesn't matter how tall you are. I'm 6'2" and it never fails, no matter how long I stay in a tent someone taller than me always arrives and picks a position right in front of me. I haven't been able to work out the thought processes; 'me and my mates will just shove our forward even though there doesn't look like there's any room to go to, oh there's 6 inches of space in front of this bloke, we'll stand there'. Hate to pick on the younger bluesfesters but in my experience they do seem to be the main perpetrators. This is one reason I tend to say out of Mojo and Crossroads as much as possible, gets a bit difficult if I want to see the headliners who are on there. Last couple of years I've been on the rail for a few acts. No-one in the way, but I have felt a bit guilty about those shorter than me standing behind me, plus I find it a bit difficult for a spot of 'dad dancing'. 4 and a bit days to go.
bambambam
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 1:24:33 PM

Haven't had any issues with views lately, last year was perfect,
The year before was a bit more difficult in the smaller tents as the stage was too low, but that's all fixed now.
Sometimes the tents almost feel half empty, they are so big now.
4 days to go, think its gonna be a wet one this year...

Can't wait

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
waffles
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:31:45 PM

lets hope the indian head dress is not present this year.
and I usually find its worn by someone who stands in front of me ..... and then talks through the whole performanceBrick wall

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
mccin0000
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 5:12:34 PM

Sometimes you'll notice 2/3 guys sneaking up past everyone and you get annoyed then you realise the reason they are pushing up is because they are with some really short guy that can't see the stage and he is leading the way and the way is normally as far forward as possible- I was at a festival last year in Belgium and they were selling easy to use stilts to enable shorter people to see at a view of someone that is 6'2 which is average Dutch height.
rstroud
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 9:39:15 PM

nocheesegromit wrote:
mpember it doesn't matter how tall you are. I'm 6'2" and it never fails, no matter how long I stay in a tent someone taller than me always arrives and picks a position right in front of me. I haven't been able to work out the thought processes; 'me and my mates will just shove our forward even though there doesn't look like there's any room to go to, oh there's 6 inches of space in front of this bloke, we'll stand there'. Hate to pick on the younger bluesfesters but in my experience they do seem to be the main perpetrators. This is one reason I tend to say out of Mojo and Crossroads as much as possible, gets a bit difficult if I want to see the headliners who are on there. Last couple of years I've been on the rail for a few acts. No-one in the way, but I have felt a bit guilty about those shorter than me standing behind me, plus I find it a bit difficult for a spot of 'dad dancing'. 4 and a bit days to go.

Don't feel guilty about your height. There's nothing you can do about that. However, I do recommend you seek help about "dad dancing" -it's a scourge and iUrge al to desist from this activity.

Rod S
harveykeitel
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 11:15:52 PM

As a 6'6" gent, I have found it rewarding to let the little guys squeeze through. It's the right thing to do and good for the soul. I always have an irritated bluesfester beside me who I have to remind to remember they are at BF and not big day out and just let the guy or gal through and the opportunity to hear some music which may blow their mind. There is too much anger in the world and it should really be left at the gate with the security dogs
mgwfall
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2016 12:47:33 AM

waffles wrote:
lets hope the indian head dress is not present this year.
and I usually find its worn by someone who stands in front of me ..... and then talks through the whole performanceBrick wall

Not just the indian head dress, any hat or cap would be better not present (on heads) in the tents.
pod2006
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2016 7:45:58 AM

A conciliatory gesture, such as a smile, a whispered please /thankyou/sorry is always welcome as you shimmy past. Amazing also how after a few songs gaps open up and it seems natural that they be plugged; so be patient and the impatient with the short attention span and small bladder will soon move away.