Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Word doing additional Bluesfest set(s) Options
mpember
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 9:06:19 AM

Groups: Member

I just heard that The Word have cancelled their Sydney and Melbourne gigs due to having had an additional BF set scheduled.

Is this due to poor ticket sales for the side shows?
Maccain09
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 10:42:16 AM

Who cares? its a positive for the festival - try not to find the negative in everything. Times are hard out there, try to change from being that person that seems to be totally focused on spreading negativity.

Practice smiling in the mirror at the start of the day.

Bluesfest is the greatest festival on the planet. This is the best line up for any festival taking place on the planet this year. If you cant accept that then stay at home.

mpember
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:15:01 AM

Maccain09 wrote:
Try not to find the negative in everything

Since my financial situation has meant I am unable to attend this year's event, I purchased tickets to a few of the Melbourne side shows. It was only when I saw a refund on my credit card that I was even aware that the gig had been cancelled. When speaking to the ticketing operator, they mentioned that the gigs had been cancelled due to additional BF appearances. Lucky for them, it also brought to their attention that the refunds had resulted in more than just the The Word tickets being refunded. In my case, they refunded the full amount for the three events that I had purchased tickets for in the single transaction.

Lucky I saw the positive amount on my credit card.

Maccain09 wrote:
If you cant accept that then stay at home.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I consider buying tickets.

Maccain09 wrote:
Who cares? its a positive for the festival

Do you understand that Bluesfest Touring is the promoter of the side shows? Poor ticket sales for side shows was the reason given for Lenny Kravitz cancelling his whole tour.
Maccain09
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:49:37 AM

Stay positive - that's the spirit!

If I want to listen to Lenny Kravitz I'll just turn on Tripple M. He was no great loss last year by all accounts the guys a knob..
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 5:15:09 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
Who cares? its a positive for the festival - try not to find the negative in everything. Times are hard out there, try to change from being that person that seems to be totally focused on spreading negativity.
Practice smiling in the mirror at the start of the day.

My wife echoes that thought.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 6:01:16 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
Stay positive - that's the spirit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsxrGUJh-SY
Let us turn our thoughts back to positivity.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
bambambam
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 8:26:23 PM

Looking forward to seeing the Word...
Extra shows are great, but in all fairness,
I didn't find pmembers post negative in the first place.
He was only asking a question, :)

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 9:32:30 PM

They are having extra shows at Bluesfest because Robert R drew a huge crowd last time and it will make more people from the cities come to Bluesfest because the city shows are canned.
Plus it saves Travel & Accomm costs to the cities and allows the musicans to chill out more.
Lack of ticket sales is not the reason.

Maccain09
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 10:26:09 PM

It's a real positive for BF ticket holders and also the band - the tens of thousands of ticket holders from all over the nation get multiple opportunities to see the act and the act gain exposure to more people than they would playing small local gigs. Everyone wins. Let's stay positive and stop all the whinging about apps and acts and the price of beer etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCGnTy-v2M&sns=em
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:34:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOv6ld7erSA
And just remember that it was the Fab Four who first brought The Word to the World.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:41:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqgqL-4SRKA
And all of us who were there know how popular R R was.
He was especially a hit with the under 25's.
No-one else plays a Pedal Steel like he does.
He is as unique as Junior Brown.

Flegal08
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 9:04:59 AM

Always happy for extra shows, as it helps with clashes for the most part.
waffles
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 9:14:35 AM

by rights,the word should be a big attention act,simply by the players that make up this band,but they don't seem to be drawing a lot of attention.
I, for one will not miss their appearances because I love Robert Randolphs playing and I love luther dickersons playing...so I think they should be one of the fest best live acts...heres hoping.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Maccain09
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 9:18:22 AM

Here's a tip - most people that attend blues fest have blown their budgets and can't afford to go see side shows so when extra opportunities are announced to see acts at the festival it's a positive for us.

Honestly someone needs to put a stop to this guys trolling and negative anti bluesfest posts. If you feel so negatively about the festival perhaps you should start a Facebook page and get off this forum. You have stated you aren't even attending yet you have a whinge about the app and then have a go at the festival when they announce extra opportunities to see acts at the festival in what is one of the most stacked cards they have produced. Time to move on mate. Your constant streams of negativity are not appreciated.
mpember
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 9:36:51 AM

Maccain09 wrote:
Here's a tip - most people that attend blues fest have blown their budgets and can't afford to go see side shows

Hopefully BF ignore such advice and continue to make artists available for audiences who may not be able to make the financial / time commitment required to attend the Byron Bay event.

Maccain09 wrote:
yet you have a whinge about the app

I apologise for giving you the impression that I had used the 2016 app. I was not aware the BF had even released their app for the 2016 event. My comments were based solely on the experience of having paid for and used the app for the 2015 event.
Maccain09
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 9:47:45 AM

mpember wrote:
[quote=Maccain09]Here's a tip - most people that attend blues fest have blown their budgets and can't afford to go see side shows

Hopefully BF ignore such advice and continue to make artists available for audiences who may not be able to make the financial / time commitment required to attend the Byron Bay event

Taken totally out of context (deliberately to continue on your hate filled rants)

It's time you found another event to promote your hatred towards and let us enjoy taking about the festival we are so looking forward to.
BC1987
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 12:30:41 PM

can I just say that in my opinion the west coast festival was cancelled due to the new Auckland city limits which was booked for the same weekend that the west coast event would traditionally be held on & as most of the names who were on bluesfest who would also have been on the west coast bluesfest were now on the Auckland city limits lineup there would not have been enough names to fill out the festival lineup. I think if the Auckland city limits event continues the event over on the west coast will have to be rescheduled to after bluesfest to accommodate artist availability.

I was a little confused myself with the additional shows but I am quite pleased I will have additional opportunities to catch st. paul, janiva magness & the word as I love all of them so this is a positive for me but agree that this is a little concerning as they were all bluesfest touring shows.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 2:26:51 PM
Groups: Administration

We have been advised that some of the artists outside shows were not selling well enough for them not to be cancelled.
There comes a time when they cannot be added to Bluesfest, as there isn't any room left, and the artists want to play as many shows as are viable whilst here.
Every opportunity was given for the shows to reach a number of sales where at least a break even could be estimated.
When that was not reached, the shows were switched to Bluesfest.
Simply, if people wish to see these artists, they need to support them in enough numbers to make the play viable.
We have been saying for some time, if you love live music - show your support by buying tickets .
Tell your friends about the shows, encourage them to attend.
There seem to be a reluctance in Australia currently to commit to attending festivals, and in buying tickets for Blues & Roots artistson tour.
This will not help these artists doing full tours of Australia in future.
There is no expectation of other tour dates being cancelled. All ticket purchases have been refunded.
Bluesfest is almost at 70% of sellout, and is expected to be fully attended.
Perhaps the best way in future is to do more exclusive appearances at Bluesfest, if support for touring shows is no longer at sustainable levels.
Moderator, on behalf of information supplied by the festival director

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 5:15:23 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
Here's a tip - most people that attend blues fest have blown their budgets and can't afford to go see side shows so when extra opportunities are announced to see acts at the festival it's a positive for us.
Honestly someone needs to put a stop to this guys trolling and negative anti bluesfest posts. If you feel so negatively about the festival perhaps you should start a Facebook page and get off this forum. You have stated you aren't even attending yet you have a whinge about the app and then have a go at the festival when they announce extra opportunities to see acts at the festival in what is one of the most stacked cards they have produced. Time to move on mate. Your constant streams of negativity are not appreciated.

I attend a music festival on the grounds of pure economics.
You get to see alot of different artists over five days while only having to make one trip.
Having to pay for airfares & accomm & tickets on a number of occasions is prohibitively expensive and getting time off work to accommodate this,is impossible.

garyp1603
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 7:33:54 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
We have been advised that some of the artists outside shows were not selling well enough for them not to be cancelled.
There comes a time when they cannot be added to Bluesfest, as there isn't any room left, and the artists want to play as many shows as are viable whilst here.
Every opportunity was given for the shows to reach a number of sales where at least a break even could be estimated.
When that was not reached, the shows were switched to Bluesfest.
Simply, if people wish to see these artists, they need to support them in enough numbers to make the play viable.
We have been saying for some time, if you love live music - show your support by buying tickets .
Tell your friends about the shows, encourage them to attend.
There seem to be a reluctance in Australia currently to commit to attending festivals, and in buying tickets for Blues & Roots artistson tour.
This will not help these artists doing full tours of Australia in future.
There is no expectation of other tour dates being cancelled. All ticket purchases have been refunded.
Bluesfest is almost at 70% of sellout, and is expected to be fully attended.
Perhaps the best way in future is to do more exclusive appearances at Bluesfest, if support for touring shows is no longer at sustainable levels.
Moderator, on behalf of information supplied by the festival director

If Bluesfest can slot these cancelled artists back into a spot in the lineup does that mean that others that were pencilled in to attend, would not have a spot ??

BTW I am really happy when we get a couple of extra shots to see all the bands as I struggle each and every year with clashes even over 5 days !!.

"I'd welcome the stars with wine and guitars, full of fire and forgetful" Townes Van Zandt