Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Kendrick Lamar nominated for 11 Grammy Awards Options
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 1:27:53 PM
Groups: Administration

Today Kendrick Lamar swept the field with 11 Grammy nominations, including ALL the major ones.

There is only one artist who has EVER received more in it's history.

That is in 1984. Michael Jackson off the previous year's album release. Thriller
For which Michael received 12 nominations

We are extremely proud to be bringing Kendrick to Bluesfest
Thanks
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 2:22:26 PM
Groups: Member

I don't get it. I just do not get why his "music" is deemed genius????

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:18:23 PM

skot20_58 wrote:

I'm with you Skot, I don't get it either.
I'm interested in watching him though.
Always nice to mix it up a bit...

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:42:43 PM

bambambam wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:

I'm with you Skot, I don't get it either.
I'm interested in watching him though.
Always nice to mix it up a bit...

It will certainly depend on what's on when but I may walk past for a gander.

Dear Skot,
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 6:02:36 PM

will be a highlight either way - interesting to see if he can pull it off with a live band.

Courtney Barnett is up for one - the darling of Aussie indie rock I'm sure FBI and JJJ maintain she's an absolute musical genius. I cut her some slack until I read she was in her late 20's? I was convinced she was in her tweens after hearing her lyrics - she must have written all her songs when she was 12. If this is the future of Aussie music then I just don't know..

As for the yanks wanting to give her an award it can only be a good thing. Kids see her and realise you don't have to do a Madonna or Miley Mineogue and take your clothes off to make it. Who knows we might get to see her receive an award from the woman of the year Caitlin Jenner.
freexone
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 1:20:48 PM

Can't you just picture the back of whichever tent Kendrick Lamar is assigned to??
There standing are dozens of baby-boomers, who until now have almost completely neglected rap or something like what Kendrick Lamar presents.
There could be flocks of them!!! rubbing their stubble, and pondering whether it holds anything for them.
They were on their way to Crossroads for hecks sake. And now they are planted in astonishment outside jambalaya!
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 2:04:38 PM

freexone wrote:
Can't you just picture the back of whichever tent Kendrick Lamar is assigned to??
There standing are dozens of baby-boomers, who until now have almost completely neglected rap or something like what Kendrick Lamar presents.
There could be flocks of them!!! rubbing their stubble, and pondering whether it holds anything for them.
They were on their way to Crossroads for hecks sake. And now they are planted in astonishment outside jambalaya!

I'm picturing a bit more than a quarter filled tent. A few groups of 5 or more people around the very back eating food having last drinks and wondering what the fuss was all about. I also see lots of west and east side hand signs and laughing. I picture time table viewing for the next day and people inspecting the time. I picture zero baby boomers.

Dear Skot,
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 2:33:39 PM
Groups: Administration

The incredible thing about Kendrick's album, IS, it was never aimed at a white market. It is absolutely about the Black Experience, and now, white listeners are falling over themselves to get on board, with this groundbreaking release. Doesn't this sound like an all too familiar story with Black culture.
Once it's original intended audience embraces it, the white folks fall all over themselves to catch up with the outliers in Black music.
And so many criticise, do I hear shades of Fletcher Henderson, Howling Wolf, Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Trane, James Brown and on and on here.
I bet you in 5 years time, to Pimp A Butterfly will be hailed as one of the great records of our time, one that changed the future of music.
So, boomers, of which I am one., you can ignore, or criticise, but as the great one said. ' don't criticise what you can't understand'.
True greatness is coming to Bluesfest.
What a shame if you don't experience some of it
Peter Noble
Festival director
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 2:48:24 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
The incredible thing about Kendrick's album, IS, it was never aimed at a white market. It is absolutely about the Black Experience, and now, white listeners are falling over themselves to get on board, with this groundbreaking release. Doesn't this sound like an all too familiar story with Black culture.
Once it's original intended audience embraces it, the white folks fall all over themselves to catch up with the outliers in Black music.
And so many criticise, do I hear shades of Fletcher Henderson, Howling Wolf, Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Trane, James Brown and on and on here.
I bet you in 5 years time, to Pimp A Butterfly will be hailed as one of the great records of our time, one that changed the future of music.
So, boomers, of which I am one., you can ignore, or criticise, but as the great one said. ' don't criticise what you can't understand'.
True greatness is coming to Bluesfest.
What a shame if you don't experience some of it
Peter Noble
Festival director

It's going to be hard for me to walk away from Derek and Susan man to see Kendrick. I might have a look but I'm not promising anything.

Dear Skot,
mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 11:45:50 AM

Well said regards.

Sometimes, it doesn't matter how brilliant a musical artist is, if it is not to your own musical taste, then you are probably not going to like it.

Haven't had time to research Kendrick yet, so can't comment if plan to have a look at Bluesfest. (And of course, will also depend on who else is playing at the same time)
waffles
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:43:56 PM

having just listened to TO PIMP A BUTTERFLY I was wondering what everyones favorite lyric was from the album.???

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
nocheesegromit
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:01:57 PM

Just a bit over this whole debate. Fact is some will like him, some will not. The Facebook posts suggests lots will go and watch. But also it's obvious that lots will not. Fact is he's playing. Time to move on.
Keep up the good work Bluesfest team.
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 7:06:28 AM

I'm buying it today.
I've succumbed to the hype
Having said that I've heard nothing but brilliant things about this young man.
Judging by the amount of tickets he has sold in Sydney and Melbourne there must be something about him.

When they go low-we go high.
mpember
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 10:49:29 AM

bucetti1 wrote:
Judging by the amount of tickets he has sold in Sydney and Melbourne there must be something about him.

Ticket sales are not always an indicator of talent. Justin Bieber sells tickets.
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 1:29:15 PM

Fair point member.
I could have phrased that better.
I do hope that there is a touch of genius to this bloke however.
Interestingly,Obama came out yesterday and rated him.-I know I know.
I am happy that Bluesfest have invited him.I think that's pretty inspired.

When they go low-we go high.
Maccain09
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 4:31:38 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/simonthompson/2015/12/09/justin-bieber-finds-his-purpose-and-his-biggest-payday-yet/

The kid earns up to 1mil a show at the age of 19 in 20 yrs time he could be headlining the fest sat and mon night
freexone
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 8:48:31 PM

A thousand clones (pop & country) have made pots of money since rock lost the main focus.
I don't get it, (so many pretty boy bands) but parents didn't get the Rolling Stones either,
and somebody must be buying the tracks that for me so often sound, manufactured and familiar.
pod2006
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 5:26:56 AM

I currently have about 25 different BF 2016 artists' albums [ 2 of which are Kendrick and 2 of D'Angelo's, 3 of Cold War kids, 2 Steve Earle. Jason Isbell and so on] on ipod shuffle as I drive about, . It's a strange but compelling aural brew, and there is no doubt Kendrick is a wordsmith, but I am finding his songs more palatable and interesting when they are wedged between songs from other genres/artists. Cannot see myself leaving TTB for Kendrick, but I am enjoying the homework.
glenboss
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 7:15:35 PM

Whether you love him, hate him, or are totally indifferent, with 11 grammy nominations he deserves and will get a packed tent when he plays.
skot20_58
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 5:37:45 AM

glenboss wrote:
Whether you love him, hate him, or are totally indifferent, with 11 grammy nominations he deserves and will get a packed tent when he plays.

I think everyone should take Krusty's opinion on Grammies and be done with it.

Dear Skot,