Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Son Of Dave Options
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 3:06:25 AM
Groups: Guest

Here's someone i'd like to see at BF.
http://sod.ward404.com/
Biography
Benjamin Darvill (born 4 January 1967, in Winnipeg, Manitoba) currently lives in London, England is a multi-instrumentalist best known as part of Canadian rock band Crash Test Dummies. Since 2000, Darvill has focused on his solo project ‘Son of Dave’ which mixes blues (harmonica) and electronica.

Darvill grew up listening to James Cotton and Albert King. One night in the late 80s he jumped up on stage and rocked with Neil Young at Winnipeg’s infamous Blue Note Cafe. Joined the travelling circus of major label pop and met the rest of the world (Crash Test Dummies). When that ride ended, retired to a London flat overrun with recording gear, returning to Canada a champion, as Son Of Dave with ‘01’. And the critics agree, this is the story of a rise to glory. Benjamin Darvill plays all your favourite instruments, but glitters and shines when he holds a harmonica.

Son Of Dave is the result of several years in London working with producer Stephen Patman (Chapter House), and the album reveals “in a lo-fi way, his interests in heady techno grooves, butt-kickin’ blues riffs and lots of harmonica solos.”

I would describe him as a cross between Bob Log III & that 1 guy with just a little moby thrown in. -but plays harp footstomp beat box & shaker with repeat samples in the background.
Here's a review of one of his concerts.

Son Of Dave started his set with Mannish Boy… He sang in a high squeaky voice, telling us all ‚I’m a Man!’. In his left hand he worked a shaker, slow and sexy. In his right hand held a harmonica picked up by an old Astatic microphone and ratty vox amp, making the sounds that dissappeared in the early sixties…

Suddenly he starts humming the bass and drums! Not just doing the hip-hop beat-box routine, but breathing and moaning the rhythmn… stomp on the foot pedal and the beat was captured and looped. He sung again, dropping his voice down two octaves while this primal loop played on. Howling and growling, the tune climaxed with setting his harmonica on fire (a la Jimi Hendrix).

Some tunes & clips on he's myspace site
http://www.myspace.com/thesonofdave

A mini doco on the man-checkout his eyes!!!-checkout some of his other clips on youtube some good quality stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVMh0vBT0DM
littlewillie
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 7:35:55 PM
Groups: Member

Bingo , anyone who says "what I do to feel useful is make people dance and drink" deserves a spot at Bluesfest.

He's got my vote.
c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:53:54 AM
Groups: Guest

littlewillie wrote:
Bingo , anyone who says "what I do to feel useful is make people dance and drink" deserves a spot at Bluesfest.

He's got my vote.

Agree littlewillie but i gave up headbanging years ago & doing the pogo tires me out (only 2 dances i can do) so ill stick to he's second form of usefulness. -:)

He comes accross as more than i little misogynistic.

quote "The only suffering in my life that seems to come naturaly is songs about evil twisted woman & theres no shortage of them in the world i dont think.-(evil laugh he he he) all those nasty men out there those brutal dictators, they all had mothers that were even worse"
I may not agree with that sort of view but still like his style when it comes to his music especialy the tracks hellhound & devil take my soul featuring martina topley bird as they seem to compliment each other very well on that tune but i wonder how they got along considering his attitude toward woman.
littlewillie
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:39:02 AM

He's got that hypnotic rhythm going on and so much more

Looks like a very captivating performer in a similar way to how C.W Stoneking draws you in during a performance.
jafa99
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:32:52 PM

Don't get your expectations up tooo high. I was thinking similar and had him on my must-see list at BDO but he didn't meet my expectations. Still, horses for courses. He was playing in the wet area and certainly there was drinking and dancing going on.
wendywoo1
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:23:33 AM

SOD would be very welcome at BF I think. I always liked Crash Test Dummies as I thought of them as real muscians, meaning educated in music. I don't mind the words so much when I'm stomppin to the rhythm. YA!