Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Brian Wilson & Tom Jones update Options
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 8:49:36 PM
Groups: Member

anitrajanewenden0000 wrote:
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/brian-wilson-review-beach-boy-was-once-genius-but-its-time-to-let-it-go-20160330-gntq79.html

I have to take exception to some of the above comments. Perhaps not the people who say they just enjoyed the show. Everyone to their own definition of enjoyment I suppose. But the idea that its disrespectful or somehow untouchable that an artist is immune from criticism because they were/are great or that they suffer from mental illness, is not good for music or for that artist. I was in the middle of the front row of Mojo for Brian Wilson; a position I attained an hour before the first music of the day, so great is my regard for Brian Wilson's music. And I am not naive about his history or had necessarily false expectations (I didn't think). But my first Oh Oh moment was when I saw something I've not seen on a Bluesfest stage before in any of my previous 11 Bluesfests - a teleprompter. Then when the great man was guided and then placed at his piano like he didn't know where he was, I thought this might be bad. And it was.

The bottom line is that overall this was a pretty poor musical set, and Brian Wilson's performance was beyond poor, it was just awful. Not even a reasonably good band could hide or rescue that situation. And to be fair to Brian, he wasn't the only one who was less than stellar. Blondie Chaplin provided underwhelming vocals for Sail on Sailor and then mostly just ponced around the stage looking like Lou Reed would have if he'd kept using heroin (OK, I admit that was a bit catty, but I had described him in those terms only half an hour before I saw the above review and so got a chuckle out of my synchronicity with the SMH reviewer). Al Jardine was also kind of underwhelming and here is a serious question - how does someone who has performed on stage for 50 years have such awkward, amateur hour stage movement? Maybe partly because he appeared to spend the whole set looking like the nice guy who is taking his elderly and unwell relative out for the day and is trying to make sure he is having a nice time (let the howls of PC rancour begin in response to my slightly tongue in cheek description).

But seriously folks. I am posting this because I know that BF Admin read the forum and my message is really to them. I wasn't going to post on this topic but then the SMH review came out yesterday and I felt that perhaps I would say something. I love the way that BF has reconnected me or sometimes allowed me to finally see many of the greats of music. I am an absolute sucker for the nostalgia sets from the artists who provided the soundtrack of my youth and who 'taught'me to love good music. When these artists are still able to perform their music well, it's a treat for my generation and a gift to the younger audience who get to discover music and see important artists in their life time also. And the contribution that BF has made to funding and hosting this experience for us all is second to none in Australia. But BF is also effectively a curator of music and needs to make wise curatorial decisions.

Anyone who says that they watched and heard Brian Wilson's set and thought it was musically credible is suffering from a severe case of Emperor's New Clothes. I took no pleasure in watching a shell of a once great man struggling to sing lyrics that he couldn't remember without the voice to do it. I don't think that ill health, particularly mental illness, should be a reason for us all to draw a blind eye to seeing someones musical legacy be tarnished by their inability to perform their own music. Honestly, it was like watching Nureyav trying to dance Swan Lake with a zimmer frame. And no one should want to watch that, even for the sake of ticking Nureyev/Brian Wilson off their "seen live" bucket list.

You are entitled to your opinion.
Could I ask your esteemed opinion in regard to the last appearances at Bluesfest by Bo Diddley,BB King,Bob Dylan,John Mayall and Peter Green compared to their historic selves.
Do you consider that Johnny Winter should have been allowed to play live if he required to be assisted to walk on and off stage ?
Should Solomon Burke have been allowed to perform at Bluesfest given that the accessing of his throne was censored from public view.
If Blondie Chaplin in your opinion should be banned due to your impression that he has the appearance of a junkie [and I must say that I have known people 25 years younger with a habit who have looked considerably worse] then in your opinion should Keith Richards or Iggy Pop be banned from performing ?
We then have the issue of the material number of Au women at Bluesfest who have facial skin wrinkles in such massive numbers that is totally unknown where I am domiciled.
Should they be turned back at the gate.
Clearly those suffering from mental illness,in your opinion,are to be viewed as having self inflicted that trait upon themselves.
During the weekend,we gave a ride to a young hitchhiker on his way to drink in bars, who told us he was a manic depressive,smoked 10 joints a day and,spent $400 per week on alcohol [he consumed rum whilst in the car] and,spent his life either watching TV or drinking and could simply not drag himself out of that state.
Numerous musicans have had issues with their mental state which have subsequently affected their ability to perform.
Peter Green being an obvious example.
Should he have been allowed to perform live music given that his band leader had to steer him on and off stage.
If you attained a position in the front row of Mojo an hour before the start of the day,and retained it all day,clearly you are considerably younger than myself.
How did you manage to survive without the consumption of liquid ?
How did you manage to stand there on your feet all day ?
If I was your age,which I suspect is some 15 years younger than myself,you would have not have been listening to the Beach Boys at their peak.
I did not notice any audience members around me leaving,which is a step you clearly should have taken rather than torturing yourself.
In fact those around me were thoroughly engrossed in the set,including a drunken loud young guy beside me who said he was a guitarist with his own band but kept spilling alcohol on people and getting told off.
His adverse comments were limited to the fact that Brian had a girth of some proportion and that the vocals were not up to the vinyl of 50 years previous.
I endeavoured to explain the concept of aging to him..That when you attain the age of 60,you look at life some what differently.
But as with you,it fell on deaf ears.
It was blatantly obvious that the standard of instrumentation and vocals were nowhere near the standard of the Smile tour.
So obvious that it does not need to be stated.
Your philosophy is clearly that once people reach a certain age,they should refrain in participation in activities where their performance is materially below that of their peak.
That is the philosophy of those who are followers of the politics of the right,who have the view that when people reach a certain age,they are disposable,and lack respect for their elders.
I take this opportunity of thanking Bluesfest for presenting me with such a memorable set,by such an important person in the history of the music era 1948 plus.
Without the songwriters,all we would have would be cover artists.
Your commentary reminds me of the Bob Dylan set,when lots of people were complaining that Bob was an unlit speck on stage.
This trait of Bob's was a known fact to any pre set internet reader on Bob.
As was the knowledge of what Brian's set would be like.
Consequently I saw no need to be at the rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
mccin0000
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 9:33:40 PM

waffles wrote:
didn't it rain...sister rosetta tharpe. a great version.

Cheers digger.. One more night with the blind boys tomorrow, stoked I get to drag one last show out of this years fest.
waffles
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2016 7:39:43 AM

I didn't see the SMH review,but if it was from Bernard zuel he usually doesn't pull punches...he is a critic.i don't always agree with him but he tells what he feels.
brian wilsons part in the performance sticks in my head and reminds me of when I saw A LONG WAY TO THE TOP.some of the shows featured stevie wright,who I loved his music contribution.
unfortunately at the performance I saw stevie was put on a chair so he didn't have to move but during his song,his dentures fell out. that has stuck in my mind.
the last thing I remember from brian is him sitting stunned at the piano and being told...that's the last song brian. and then being helped up to take a bow. for me it was sad.
I will be playing PET SOUNDS several times to remind me of his past brillance.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
katieforfree
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2016 12:17:26 PM

I have just been talking with my husband about Brian's performance. He enjoyed the show and doesn't really care if other people did. He also said Brian did more that he thought he would. I enjoyed the show as well and as I had seen a previous show on TV I knew he was not playing and singing much. To people who do not know that Brian is incapacitated it would have been unexpected. The only person to comment around me just wanted him to smile.
mpember
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2016 1:00:20 PM

katieforfree wrote:
I have just been talking with my husband about Brian's performance. He enjoyed the show and doesn't really care if other people did. He also said Brian did more that he thought he would. I enjoyed the show as well and as I had seen a previous show on TV I knew he was not playing and singing much. To people who do not know that Brian is incapacitated it would have been unexpected. The only person to comment around me just wanted him to smile.

I overheard someone at the Booker T appearence comment that he doesn't sing much. It all comes down to what the audience has come to expect. I'm sure there were many who would have been happy if Brian just sat on stage while they played a recording.

I'm all for paying tribute to artists who may be past their prime. I admit to having paid to see BB King at his Melbourne gig only days before seeing him for a second time at BF. But that is mostly due to my having never seen him live and knowing that he was not likely to return to our shores.

My father is a massive fan of Bob Dylan. Even he was unable to recall if Bob had performed "Tangled Up In Blue" at his recent BF appearance. The songs all blended into one and fans who were stuck outside without even the chance to watch the screens were right to be upset with the performance they were paying for.

As was the case with Peter Green in 2010, having respect for what the artist has done in the past does not mean an audience should be expected to pay full price and accept a "Weekend at Bernie's" tour.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2016 9:17:30 PM
Groups: Administration

At Melbourne concert tonight
Audience on their feet for last 6 or so songs.
Great show
Brilliant sound

Brian in good form
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2016 9:38:26 PM

http://reviews.ticketmaster.com/7171/734972/bob-dylan-reviews/reviews.htm?page=35&sort=rating&dir=asc
Any person who is feeble enough to complain about Bob Dylan at Bluesfest should not be posting on this forum.
As it reveals that they do not have the competency to be able to search the available internet resources pre Bluesfest,to firstly read comments from other punters as to what they will see live.
It is the same pre any Bluesfest.
Do your research pre festival..Might I suggest that the massive resources of You Tube are always of assistance.
That should allow you to be adequately prepared and not have to resort to whinging afterwards.
Which is why,rather than making negative comments about Bob,I instead saw Jethro Tull and made positive comments about them.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2016 9:44:58 PM

http://nypost.com/2015/06/04/how-one-quack-doctor-almost-destroyed-brian-wilsons-career/
If you have not watched the movie Love & Mercy please refrain from making negative comments about Brian Wilson.

dissent
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 9:45:46 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
http://reviews.ticketmaster.com/7171/734972/bob-dylan-reviews/reviews.htm?page=35&sort=rating&dir=asc
Any person who is feeble enough to complain about Bob Dylan at Bluesfest should not be posting on this forum.
As it reveals that they do not have the competency to be able to search the available internet resources pre Bluesfest,to firstly read comments from other punters as to what they will see live.
It is the same pre any Bluesfest.
Do your research pre festival..Might I suggest that the massive resources of You Tube are always of assistance.
That should allow you to be adequately prepared and not have to resort to whinging afterwards.
Which is why,rather than making negative comments about Bob,I instead saw Jethro Tull and made positive comments about them.

I don't think anyone is whinging about it, just giving a frank assessment of what they saw (you know, so people can do their research in the future).... The opinions given were a response to a question asking how Brian Wilson was.

It's a bit condescending to assume people who are giving their opinion of his show negatively weren't aware that he isn't in the best shape anymore.

I really enjoyed Dylan, BB king and Bo Diddley when I got the chance to see them at bluesfest (and Dylan at the Tivoli)... It's personal taste, don't let it get to you.
anitrajanewenden0000
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 11:11:57 AM

But Lone Ranger, what if you have watched Love and Mercy (twice) before Bluesfest? Are you allowed to comment then?
What if you became a devoted Beach Boys fan as a 13 year old in 1977 and have read considerably about the group and Brian Wilson over the years and have enormous sympathy for his reduced health and abilities? Are you qualified to comment then?

Seriously dude. Your self appointed protector of the disabled thing is missplaced in a forum about musical performance and individual's enjoyment of their musical experiences. And your bullying of people on this forum when they express something you disagree with is really unpleasant. You may have given yourself the tag of Lone Ranger, but you seem to think you have been appointed the Sheriff.
Flegal08
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2016 1:39:02 PM

Once again, can I say that I thoroughly enjoyed Brian Wilson and friends, I thought that I got my last chance to see such an important person in my musical odyssey in Brisbane a few years ago.
To get another chance to see him was fantastic. The fact that he wasn't the same man he was 40 years ago is a mute point too me.

My rationale is I buy a five day ticket, I see up to 30 artists or bands, price of ticket was $360 so each artist costs me about $12. Would I pay $12 to see Brian Wilson do Pet Sounds (one of the most influential albums of all times) you bet your arse I would.

Once again thank you Peter Noble and Bluesfest, you rock!

Will I never know silence without mental violence?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:04:42 PM

What if you became a devoted Beach Boys fan as a 13 year old in 1977 and have read considerably about the group and Brian Wilson over the years and have enormous sympathy for his reduced health and abilities? Are you qualified to comment then?

Clearly that is not you because you have no respect for him.
Refects the selfish greedy society of today when people are categorised as past their use by date and are pushed out the door by the MeMeMe philosophy.
As for the elderly & the disabled...I am increasingly dealing with elder abuse & having to defend older people from predators.
There are those in society who mock those who have a disablement.Clearly you are one of them.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:08:56 PM

Seriously dude. Your self appointed protector of the disabled thing is missplaced in a forum about musical performance and individual's enjoyment of their musical experiences. And your bullying of people on this forum when they express something you disagree with is really unpleasant. You may have given yourself the tag of Lone Ranger, but you seem to think you have been appointed the Sheriff.

Not the first time I have had that viewpoint thrust at me from someone who is unable to meaningfully debate the issues at hand,and in fact is themselves taking a bullying approach.
It tends to happen when I am dealing with Yuppies who want the world and they want it now.
Debate my post of 10.49.36 with references to specific artists,rather than attacking me and Brian Wilson.

JamesG1
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2017 9:10:20 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

Not the first time I have had that viewpoint thrust at me from someone who is unable to meaningfully debate the issues at hand,and in fact is themselves taking a bullying approach.
It tends to happen when I am dealing with Yuppies who want the world and they want it now.
Debate my post of 10.49.36 with references to specific artists,rather than attacking me and Brian Wilson.

This is why the forum's future is in doubt. A completely unnecessary response to a 10-month old argument.

Many would-be newbies get trolled off like this by the self-ordained gatekeeper/s of the forum; the rest read this "new" post first and think bugger this, why would I participate in this. And why would they?

I'm out too it's no longer worth it, bookmark deleted - thanks to those who've steered me right in the past (hifromtomorrow, BC1987, Space5279 come to mind)

See you at Easter, I'll be the one at Jimmy Buffett without the Hawaiian shirt.

__

bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 2:37:52 PM

"I'm Leaving"

"Ok then, That was always allowed"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VnMywkxKc8

For all its faults this is still a great forum,
Have some "time out" if you like but please don't leave forever.

Just a plea, nothing more.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
mccin0000
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:29:18 PM

bambambam wrote:
"I'm Leaving"

"Ok then, That was always allowed"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VnMywkxKc8

For all its faults this is still a great forum,
Have some "time out" if you like but please don't leave forever.

Just a plea, nothing more.

Of all the weird shite that's been posted on this forum over the years, that's right up there with the dog saints etc - but that was very funny, poor Jerry
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 12:45:36 PM

https://www.13thfloor.co.nz/good-vibrations-my-life-as-a-beach-boy-mike-love-book-review/
A must read for Brian Wilson fans.