Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Brian Wilson & Tom Jones update Options
Flegal08
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:19:26 PM

Groups: Member

Tom Jones was fantastic as was his band, anyone who has been around as long as he has can work a crowd.

I don't know how many people watched his performance but he held everyone around us spellbound, from teenagers to veterans,
everyone was hanging on his every word and really appreciated his songs. He really seemed to appreciate the crowd.

Will I never know silence without mental violence?
dissent
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:35:37 PM

waffles wrote:
I'm gonna get hated for this,but I thought the brian Wilson band was good,bit brian was well past it. I really felt sorry for him. a nurse friend said she thought he was showing the first signs of parkinsons. I was at the very back and the crowd was very bored.
I had the audio feed headset so got a good sound,which unfortunately did not cover his flat vocals. its hard to say but I think his time was not for these times.

Yep I agree... I couldn't last... it was like looking into the abyss.

On a separate note UB40 was like the guy had just stepped off a tour of cruise ships and RSLs....

I only went three days this year, but I felt the depth of quality was missing this year.
Jaylee1
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:57:41 PM

That Brian is still with us is amazing. He had a troubled youth and suffered badly from poor medical treatment - this is well documented

I viewed the show more as a tribute to a legend rather than a Beach Boys gig -any other perspective was just too sad to contemplate

When the microphone stuffed up during one of Matt Jardine's songs, Brian was quick to take over (much to the surprise and relief of the band) - so he wasn't as out of it as he seemed.

Matt Jardine could certainly reach the high notes!

As for Tom..... Sir Tom......

what a way to end a festival - I didn't want it to end

JT
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:59:30 PM

The Brian Wilson presents Smile Tour in 2004 was exquisite.
Instrumentation and vocals could not have been better.
15 piece Swedish Band plus Four from Brian's side.
The show I saw in Wellington was surprisingly not even sold out.
But that was over 11 years ago.
There have been a number of shows at Bluesfest where artists are no longer the tour de force that they once were.
But that goes without saying.
I consider it disrespectful to post on the basis that an artist is no longer performing as they used to in their younger days.
It can be levied at people in many other walks of life.
I give my grateful thanks for the fact that Bluesfest contracted Brian Wilson to perform in what will in all probability be his final tour down under.
And that I was able to hear for the second time in my life,so many of those marvellous positive uplifting songs.
To end the set with Help Me Rhonda just capped off a simply marvellous evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
pathfinder
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:37:14 PM

I was honoured to be able to see the great Brian Wilson and Al Jardine perform some of the
most iconic tunes of the 60's, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and
I was not disappointed.
mccin0000
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:01:29 PM

I remember simular garbage was written about BB King a few years back (his performance was flat) Pet Sounds was released 40 years ago!… Heres a tip next time you go visit or see someone that has suffered from severe mental illness and his fair share of breakdowns just expect them to be a shell of their former selves, from 99.99% of accounts he was still able to create a bit of magic that the vast majority was able to appreciate. I had a young mate that didn’t know a single song and still loved every second of his show. It’s a chance to appreciate the music the artist created and sing along with the songs. This years was the best festival line up out of any festival in the world, nil fillers.
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:17:44 PM

Mr Wilson didn't seem well when I saw him in Brisbane back in 2010 so I wouldn't expect him to be any better now. But it's still a treat listening to the old Beach Boys tunes live.
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:21:24 PM

dissent wrote:
waffles wrote:
I'm gonna get hated for this,but I thought the brian Wilson band was good,bit brian was well past it. I really felt sorry for him. a nurse friend said she thought he was showing the first signs of parkinsons. I was at the very back and the crowd was very bored.
I had the audio feed headset so got a good sound,which unfortunately did not cover his flat vocals. its hard to say but I think his time was not for these times.

Yep I agree... I couldn't last... it was like looking into the abyss.

On a separate note UB40 was like the guy had just stepped off a tour of cruise ships and RSLs....

I only went three days this year, but I felt the depth of quality was missing this year.

I loved UB40 .. one of the reasons I go to Bluesfest is for the nostalgia
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:34:28 PM

mccin0000 wrote:
I remember simular garbage was written about BB King a few years back (his performance was flat)

And the huge Bob Dylan thread which thankfully was wiped in due course.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
Kowalksi
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:32:11 PM

Does anyone know who the guy was that came in from time to time with Brian wilson's band and played guitar, tambourine and vocals?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:04:41 PM

Kowalksi wrote:
Does anyone know who the guy was that came in from time to time with Brian wilson's band and played guitar, tambourine and vocals?

Blondie Chaplin.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:55:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Te_lCF69Aw
We need to remember that the Beach Boys formed 55 years ago.
That is only a year after I started listening to music.
The artists who started in the 1940's such as BB King,have now left this world,as have many who started professionally in the 1950's such as James Brown & Bo Diddley.

freexone
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:04:59 PM

Flegal08 wrote:
Tom Jones was fantastic as was his band, anyone who has been around as long as he has can work a crowd.

I don't know how many people watched his performance but he held everyone around us spellbound, from teenagers to veterans,
everyone was hanging on his every word and really appreciated his songs. He really seemed to appreciate the crowd.

Oh Yeah!
Sir Tom was superb, and seemed genuinely impressed and thankful for the audience response, feedback and joy.
Brian Wilson's 'Pet Sounds' was also a fantastic showcase of the dozens of famous and much loved tunes.

I went and watched 'The Residents', and at first grab I felt like walking away, but they were strangely compelling.
The extremely dark themes the band explored and presented was unlike anything I had seen.
And before long I found I had stayed and watched their entire show.
In some themes they came back to a couple of times, the vocalist was singing??? about 'causing' and increasing the severity of major incidents.
In presenting shows like this; (that are of an extremely dark nature) most people would probably prefer not to look or avoid thinking about it.
It seems? to be the correct response at the time... But is it???

It is an area of thought, images, music and reality that is very seldom explored and I believe 'The Residents' were
an excellent example of Bluesfest taking a risk so we the audience get to see many forms of music.
littlewillie
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 7:09:57 AM

freexone wrote:
Flegal08 wrote:

Oh Yeah!
Sir Tom was superb, and seemed genuinely impressed and thankful for the audience response, feedback and joy.
Brian Wilson's 'Pet Sounds' was also a fantastic showcase of the dozens of famous and much loved tunes.

I went and watched 'The Residents', and at first grab I felt like walking away, but they were strangely compelling.
The extremely dark themes the band explored and presented was unlike anything I had seen.
And before long I found I had stayed and watched their entire show.
In some themes they came back to a couple of times, the vocalist was singing??? about 'causing' and increasing the severity of major incidents.
In presenting shows like this; (that are of an extremely dark nature) most people would probably prefer not to look or avoid thinking about it.
It seems? to be the correct response at the time... But is it???

It is an area of thought, images, music and reality that is very seldom explored and I believe 'The Residents' were
an excellent example of Bluesfest taking a risk so we the audience get to see many forms of music.

"I love the rabbits ....... and the rabbits love me"

unforgettable.
anitrajanewenden0000
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 9:32:33 AM

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/brian-wilson-review-beach-boy-was-once-genius-but-its-time-to-let-it-go-20160330-gntq79.html

I have to take exception to some of the above comments. Perhaps not the people who say they just enjoyed the show. Everyone to their own definition of enjoyment I suppose. But the idea that its disrespectful or somehow untouchable that an artist is immune from criticism because they were/are great or that they suffer from mental illness, is not good for music or for that artist. I was in the middle of the front row of Mojo for Brian Wilson; a position I attained an hour before the first music of the day, so great is my regard for Brian Wilson's music. And I am not naive about his history or had necessarily false expectations (I didn't think). But my first Oh Oh moment was when I saw something I've not seen on a Bluesfest stage before in any of my previous 11 Bluesfests - a teleprompter. Then when the great man was guided and then placed at his piano like he didn't know where he was, I thought this might be bad. And it was.

The bottom line is that overall this was a pretty poor musical set, and Brian Wilson's performance was beyond poor, it was just awful. Not even a reasonably good band could hide or rescue that situation. And to be fair to Brian, he wasn't the only one who was less than stellar. Blondie Chaplin provided underwhelming vocals for Sail on Sailor and then mostly just ponced around the stage looking like Lou Reed would have if he'd kept using heroin (OK, I admit that was a bit catty, but I had described him in those terms only half an hour before I saw the above review and so got a chuckle out of my synchronicity with the SMH reviewer). Al Jardine was also kind of underwhelming and here is a serious question - how does someone who has performed on stage for 50 years have such awkward, amateur hour stage movement? Maybe partly because he appeared to spend the whole set looking like the nice guy who is taking his elderly and unwell relative out for the day and is trying to make sure he is having a nice time (let the howls of PC rancour begin in response to my slightly tongue in cheek description).

But seriously folks. I am posting this because I know that BF Admin read the forum and my message is really to them. I wasn't going to post on this topic but then the SMH review came out yesterday and I felt that perhaps I would say something. I love the way that BF has reconnected me or sometimes allowed me to finally see many of the greats of music. I am an absolute sucker for the nostalgia sets from the artists who provided the soundtrack of my youth and who 'taught'me to love good music. When these artists are still able to perform their music well, it's a treat for my generation and a gift to the younger audience who get to discover music and see important artists in their life time also. And the contribution that BF has made to funding and hosting this experience for us all is second to none in Australia. But BF is also effectively a curator of music and needs to make wise curatorial decisions.

Anyone who says that they watched and heard Brian Wilson's set and thought it was musically credible is suffering from a severe case of Emperor's New Clothes. I took no pleasure in watching a shell of a once great man struggling to sing lyrics that he couldn't remember without the voice to do it. I don't think that ill health, particularly mental illness, should be a reason for us all to draw a blind eye to seeing someones musical legacy be tarnished by their inability to perform their own music. Honestly, it was like watching Nureyav trying to dance Swan Lake with a zimmer frame. And no one should want to watch that, even for the sake of ticking Nureyev/Brian Wilson off their "seen live" bucket list.
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 9:46:04 AM

A Facebook friend of mine is a massive fan and is seeing him at the Palais in Melbourne on Sunday night. I've told her what to expect so that she isn't greatly disappointed.
bambambam
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 10:39:03 AM

I didn't stay all that long for Mr Wilson,
But while I was there I felt like it was an "Ahh Haa" moment.

It was very special to see him at Bluesfest.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
nelson7007
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 11:58:19 AM

I left after 30 minutes. Just felt uncomfortable watching the guy. Band was good but it felt like they were propping up rather than supporting the main guy who, to be honest, is their meal ticket. But Mrs Nelson stayed longer and really enjoyed it and had so such qualms so everyone to their own.

In contrast, no problems with Tom Jones. He is the real deal and without question has still got it. Extraordinary for someone in his mid-70s to be still doing it at that level.

mccin0000
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 12:24:44 PM

Brilliant to see open conversation from multiple punters.. I cant believe i missed Tom Jones. What song did he have with the Blind Boys?
waffles
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2016 5:08:23 PM

didn't it rain...sister rosetta tharpe. a great version.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.