Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

RIP Allen Toussaint Options
regards
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:39:19 PM
Groups: Member

Sad to report that Allen Toussaint has passed due to a heart attack after a performance in Spain.

He was indeed a musical legend and a fine humble man, who would engage with, and treat with respect, people who wished to converse with him.

His legacy will live on, and he will be sadly missed and kindly remembered.

He was one of those people that you thought would just keep on going, to a ripe old age, like a Lionel Ferbos

RIP
repete
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:52:55 PM

regards wrote:

Sad to report that Allen Toussaint has passed due to a heart attack after a performance in Spain.

He was indeed a musical legend and a fine humble man, who would engage with, and treat with respect, people who wished to converse with him.

His legacy will live on, and he will be sadly missed and kindly remembered.

He was one of those people that you thought would just keep on going, to a ripe old age, like a Lionel Ferbos

RIP

Oh man I'm so sad at this news, it's so hard to believe. A giant has fallen....RIP.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:12:37 AM

Damn.
That dude could play.
Vale.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:05:47 AM

The man has passed, his influence wont.
Thank you for the music

Life Is a Carnival

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
kungfool
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:04:21 AM

Had the pleasure of seeing his last US performances only
two weeks ago.
A real gentleman and trouper.
Will be sadly missed
tonyivits
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:25:01 PM

A musician's musician.Excellent performer,producer and encourager of talent.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:07:21 PM

a true giant of the music world RIP.

and thank you bluesfest for bringing this great artist out. it was a pleasure to watch him work.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
johnnymac
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:07:30 PM

So glad I have had the opportunity to see him several times at Bluesfest, would never have done it any other way............Thanks for the privilege. A true legend.

RIP Allen.

Little Band o Gold pay a tribute, check their site.

garyp1603
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:53:14 PM

A giant of a man that I am glad to say I have seen. How do you surmise a Legend....For me three things come immediately to mind with Allen

1st The song "Soul Sister"
2nd The producer of those wonderful Meters records.

Most of all thanks to the Fleshtones for covering "Ride Your Pony" that started the journey.

Sweet Dreams Allen......

"I'd welcome the stars with wine and guitars, full of fire and forgetful" Townes Van Zandt
regards
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 12:25:47 PM

I was fortunate to see Alan with The Funky Meters and Irma Thomas in Nola on October 23 and sadly that will be the last time.

Some friends of mine, went to see John Cleary at Chickie Wah Wah in Nola last night. And they said, the place was packed and that it was very moving when John played, the audience was even sitting on the floor in reverence. And that when he did an instrumental version of Southern Nights, there was not a dry eye in the house.

A mate of mines son was sitting in with Steamboat Willie at Music Legends Park, and he told me that Alans statue was adorned with flowers.

The Nola locals are very pleasantly suprised about how many tributes are coming in for Alan from all around the states and rest of the world.

It is part and parcel of not only his musical genius, but a tribute to what a great bloke he was. I could go on for hours, with stories and anecdotes, that people are telling me, and even my girlfriend was telling me how polite Allan was to her last month, when he was hanging at Rock N Bowl on a Thursday night.

RIP
regards
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 12:25:48 PM

I was fortunate to see Alan with The Funky Meters and Irma Thomas in Nola on October 23 and sadly that will be the last time.

Some friends of mine, went to see John Cleary at Chickie Wah Wah in Nola last night. And they said, the place was packed and that it was very moving when John played, the audience was even sitting on the floor in reverence. And that when he did an instrumental version of Southern Nights, there was not a dry eye in the house.

A mate of mines son was sitting in with Steamboat Willie at Music Legends Park, and he told me that Alans statue was adorned with flowers.

The Nola locals are very pleasantly suprised about how many tributes are coming in for Alan from all around the states and rest of the world.

It is part and parcel of not only his musical genius, but a tribute to what a great bloke he was. I could go on for hours, with stories and anecdotes, that people are telling me, and even my girlfriend was telling me how polite Allan was to her last month, when he was hanging at Rock N Bowl on a Thursday night.

RIP
repete
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 6:33:31 PM

His ability to whip up a song was staggering. I saw him at the 2009 jazzfest where his first song was a tribute to the 40th anniversary of fest, and was a killer. Then, in the 2012 jazzfest he got up on stage during the Preservation Hall 50th anniversary and ripped through a great song in tribute to Preservation Hall, penned solely for this show...and noting the utter joy of their music (Bonnie Rait was up on stage as well). Also saw him on stage with Marva Wright and Bo Dollis in 2007 - now they're all gone.

His influence behind the scenes (writing, producing arranging) was truly staggering. And yet his piano playing was beyond amazing. I have a dvd called Piano Players Rarely Play Together - Professor Longhair, Tutus Washington and Allen Toussaint. The pieces where all three play together is amazing.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen