Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Headliners earlier idea Options
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 7:15:43 AM

Groups: Member

Hey bluesfest,
After this year's festival you kicked around the idea of the main acts being on earlier, to allow for families to enjoy them and the crowds to get away.
I reckon it's a fantastic idea, did it get any momentum?

Say main stage big superstar at 6 or 7pm, allowing for a longer show for them too?

Then smaller stages kick on until midnight or what ever, it's a very good idea for me and the regulars I come with, all week long campers, but it would also suit those coming for oly a few big names, they could stay on for more fun if the wanted, or then eat and have a drink etc and get away.

Where's the idea at?

Cheers
Tony

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 8:27:07 AM

Great idea! I've left half way through the headline act quite a few times because of wanting to beat the mass exodus of traffic out of the venue followed by an hour and half drive home.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 6:24:08 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
Great idea! I've left half way through the headline act quite a few times because of wanting to beat the mass exodus of traffic out of the venue followed by an hour and half drive home.

There is no way that I would leave halfway through a headline act at anytime.
I am at Bluesfest for the music.
If I was at a headline act I was not as keen on as acts in other tents,I would go to another tent and stay till the end of the set.
Bluesfest comes only once a year.
If I have to wait in the carpark for an hour what does that matter.
It is an opportunity to listen to some more music on the CD player,most likely of current festival artists.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 6:45:21 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

If I was at a headline act I was not as keen on as acts in other tents,I would go to another tent and stay till the end of the set.
It is an opportunity to listen to some more music on the CD player,most likely of current festival artists.

Good for you then buddy.. we're all different. I also have my elderly dog to get home to which has been another reason for leaving early.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 7:42:57 PM
Groups: Administration

We have removed a few posts

Please try to stay on topic.
That way everyone who reads the posts can feel a part of it
Thanks
glenboss
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 7:49:20 PM

hifromtomorrow wrote:
Hey bluesfest,
After this year's festival you kicked around the idea of the main acts being on earlier, to allow for families to enjoy them and the crowds to get away.

Say main stage big superstar at 6 or 7pm, allowing for a longer show for them too?

Then smaller stages kick on until midnight or what ever, it's a very good idea for me and the regulars I come with, all week long campers, but it would also suit those coming for oly a few big names, they could stay on for more fun if the wanted, or then eat and have a drink etc and get away.

Where's the idea at?

Cheers
Tony

When I read this earlier this year I thought it was a brilliant idea. Still do. I hope they can manage it.
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 9:49:22 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
We have removed a few posts

Please try to stay on topic.
That way everyone who reads the posts can feel a part of it
Thanks

Ha, wow, what did I miss?!

Just, you know, asking...

I think it's a good idea to allow the festival to empty out, but also provide ongoing fun for those who want to kick on, and I have never left early, in fact, being a 5 day camper, I never leave (until kicked out on Tuesday).

Still wondering if Bluesfest have given this any thought beyond the original idea floated by Peter Noble in a post 2015 festival email, discussing feedback received.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 2:52:50 AM

eileenk9 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

I also have my elderly dog to get home to which has been another reason for leaving early.

My wife has a dog.If she goes out she either leaves it with a friend who has dogs,or gets the neighbour to let it out for the odd toilet break.
Apart from that it is happy so long as it has its teddy bear and can sit in a nice secluded room to keep its stress levels down.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
eileenk9
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 8:17:51 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

I also have my elderly dog to get home to which has been another reason for leaving early.

My wife has a dog.If she goes out she either leaves it with a friend who has dogs,or gets the neighbour to let it out for the odd toilet break.
Apart from that it is happy so long as it has its teddy bear and can sit in a nice secluded room to keep its stress levels down.

Unfortunately we don't have any dog loving neighbours who would take on a 19 year old deaf and nearly blind poodle. He stays inside in a pen with blankets, kibble and plenty of water until we get home.

In previous years we have used pet friendly accommodation close to the venue but each year the prices get higher.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 1:02:21 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

Unfortunately we don't have any dog loving neighbours who would take on a 19 year old deaf and nearly blind poodle. He stays inside in a pen with blankets, kibble and plenty of water until we get home.
In previous years we have used pet friendly accommodation close to the venue but each year the prices get higher.

My wife's dog is a chocolate miniature poodle.
You do not have to be a dog loving neighbour to take it on.
All you have to do is to go into the house and make it go outside to the toilet.
Give it its teddy bear to savage,some deer velvet to exercise its teeth on,free access to dog biscuits and water,some doggie treats,its regular bed,and it is satisfied.
Whether you leave for 1 hour or 15 hours it will stress,because it is a dog,not a cat.
It means that if the dog is left alone in the house because my wife is out of town for the day,it is let out every three or four hours.
Apart from toileting,there are no other issues with leaving a dog alone in its own house,that cannot be controlled by the owner.
You have stated that you live 1.5 hours from the festival site.
You have stated that you leave Bluesfest for the day during the last act.
But you confuse this statement by stating that you left Chris Isaak after 10 minutes to visit another tent.
Bluesfest is a 12 hour day.
Add 1.5 hours commuting each way,plus time to walk in and out of the site.
Equals 16 hours for a day at Bluesfest for you.
So if you are away for 16 hours,how does your dog cope at home by itself for that period ?
Whether you are away for 13 or 14 or 15 or 16 hours I cannot see the material difference.
If I lived only 1.5 hours from the festival site,that is only a short drive,especially given the vast distances in Au.
If I lived that close,I would drive to and from the festival each day.
As it is,we get to our accommodation each night after Bluesfest at about 2 am.
In summary,I do not comprehend the issue you have which prevents you from attending Bluesfest for more than one day.

freexone
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 5:41:17 PM

Now the forum has an authority on dogginess... what next???

Does the 'doggie doo'?.

"Barkin' the Blues"?... d'oh!
eileenk9
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 8:21:43 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
My wife's dog is a chocolate miniature poodle.
You do not have to be a dog loving neighbour to take it on.
All you have to do is to go into the house and make it go outside to the toilet.
Give it its teddy bear to savage,some deer velvet to exercise its teeth on,free access to dog biscuits and water,some doggie treats,its regular bed,and it is satisfied.
Whether you leave for 1 hour or 15 hours it will stress,because it is a dog,not a cat.
It means that if the dog is left alone in the house because my wife is out of town for the day,it is let out every three or four hours.
Apart from toileting,there are no other issues with leaving a dog alone in its own house,that cannot be controlled by the owner.
You have stated that you live 1.5 hours from the festival site.
You have stated that you leave Bluesfest for the day during the last act.
But you confuse this statement by stating that you left Chris Isaak after 10 minutes to visit another tent.
Bluesfest is a 12 hour day.
Add 1.5 hours commuting each way,plus time to walk in and out of the site.
Equals 16 hours for a day at Bluesfest for you.
So if you are away for 16 hours,how does your dog cope at home by itself for that period ?
Whether you are away for 13 or 14 or 15 or 16 hours I cannot see the material difference.
If I lived only 1.5 hours from the festival site,that is only a short drive,especially given the vast distances in Au.
If I lived that close,I would drive to and from the festival each day.
As it is,we get to our accommodation each night after Bluesfest at about 2 am.
In summary,I do not comprehend the issue you have which prevents you from attending Bluesfest for more than one day.

It's always been my choice to only do one day at Bluesfest .. one year we did a Saturday and a Monday and that seemed like more than enough. Anything more to me would seem a bit like Groundhog Day.

Yamba to Tyagarah and back is actually quite a long trip .. especially after an 11-12 hour stint at a festival.

Usually get there between 12 - 1 and leave before 11. My dog is quite old which means he sleeps a lot. Leaving early has a lot to do with not wanting to get stuck in long queues of traffic leaving the car park as well as wanting to get home to my dog.

If you know of any reasonably priced pet friendly accommodation close to the venue please feel free to let me know about it... you seem to be an expert on everything else!

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 8:26:17 PM

freexone wrote:
Now the forum has an authority on dogginess... what next???Does the 'doggie doo'?. "Barkin' the Blues"?... d'oh!

I accept that not every poster is a dog fan.
If you wanted to get home early to see your pooch,you would have left the Stooges set early,or not attended it.
Is the Stooges the type of act which should be an earlier headliner ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9xIm7Owyso

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 8:33:44 PM

By comparison with Iggy,this Bluesfest set including this doggie song,would have been much more palatable as an earlier headline for family groups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7nZYDLA-Jo

hifromtomorrow
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 7:20:00 AM

My lovely little dog "pickle" spends every Easter at my sister's.
I have often thought about how much she'd love the camping area at bluesfest as she loves meeting people.
But of course, if everybody could bring their dogs, it'd be chaos.

My dog would love an early finish to anything that keeps me away from her.

Here she is, waiting for me to get home from somewhere -

https://instagram.com/p/6qaS9RAhS0/

I love that I have started a dog thread!

bluesfestadmin
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 8:00:46 AM
Groups: Administration

Great idea
Let's have a dog thread
Hey everyone, tell us about yours

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 11:33:12 AM

hifromtomorrow wrote:
Hey bluesfest,After this year's festival you kicked around the idea of the main acts being on earlier, to allow for families to enjoy them and the crowds to get away.
Then smaller stages kick on until midnight or what ever, it's a very good idea for me and the regulars I come with, all week long campers, but it would also suit those coming for oly a few big names, they could stay on for more fun if the wanted, or then eat and have a drink etc and get away.Where's the idea at?CheersTony

If I was Bluesfest,and considering this option,I would want to conduct extensive market research.
Given that to implement this would be a radical change from the general policy of all musical festivals and events.
One lot of "stakeholders" who would need to be consulted are those operating the merchandise tents,as their revenues could be materially depleted if a material section of the crowd left early.Bluesfest with its merchandise & drinks stalls is part of this.
You would need to consider what proportion of the crowd consists of families.Bluesfest would have this data through ticket sales.
A statistically relevant sample of those families would then have to be made in order to build a picture of preferences.
As for longer shows,this is a matter of individual contract with the artist,regardless of the timeslot,and as we know in the past,sets at Bluesfest have been as long as three hours,if deemed necessary.
You suggest that the smaller stages kick on until midnight.What do you envisage happening to the two larger stages after the dinner time superstar.
For those who are coming for only a few big names,they will have day tickets,so it might suit them to come in late afternoon and stay till late,given that if they were attending an individual show elsewhere,it is not likely to start until 8pm,and not finish until at least 10pm,or later if there is a support act and interval.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 11:58:22 AM

eileenk9 wrote:

It's always been my choice to only do one day at Bluesfest .. one year we did a Saturday and a Monday and that seemed like more than enough. Anything more to me would seem a bit like Groundhog Day.
Yamba to Tyagarah and back is actually quite a long trip .. especially after an 11-12 hour stint at a festival.
Usually get there between 12 - 1 and leave before 11. My dog is quite old which means he sleeps a lot. Leaving early has a lot to do with not wanting to get stuck in long queues of traffic leaving the car park as well as wanting to get home to my dog.
If you know of any reasonably priced pet friendly accommodation close to the venue please feel free to let me know about it... you seem to be an expert on everything else!

Research reveals that a groundhog is like a hedgehog and if it emerges from the ground and spots the sun,it goes back underground.
It stays out only if the day is cloudy.
That is not a positive way in which to describe a day at Bluesfest.
A long trip is me driving back to Sydney Airport after Narooma.5 hours not 1.5 hours.I drink some Red Bull and have a couple of stops.
Long distance truck drivers are at the wheel up to 11 hours per day.
You reinforce my point that your dog is better at home.
Pet friendly accommodation does not necessarily mean that a pet can stay inside.
It may mean staying outside in your vehicle or trailer.
And if you go away for the day it will stress out in an unfamiliar environment,so better for it to be house sat.
http://www.macleankennels.com.au/pricelist.htm
Besides suggesting home visits,I have even located a moderately priced pet stay facility in your area.
You have not had a true musical experience until you have spent 5 full days at Bluesfest.
Bluesfest is all about opening your mind to new and exciting acts,and such a 5 day experience would greatly expand the number of musical acts you would be able to post about on the forum.

eileenk9
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 4:04:01 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

Research reveals that a groundhog is like a hedgehog and if it emerges from the ground and spots the sun,it goes back underground.
It stays out only if the day is cloudy.
That is not a positive way in which to describe a day at Bluesfest.
A long trip is me driving back to Sydney Airport after Narooma.5 hours not 1.5 hours.I drink some Red Bull and have a couple of stops.
Long distance truck drivers are at the wheel up to 11 hours per day.
You reinforce my point that your dog is better at home.
Pet friendly accommodation does not necessarily mean that a pet can stay inside.
It may mean staying outside in your vehicle or trailer.
And if you go away for the day it will stress out in an unfamiliar environment,so better for it to be house sat.

http://www.macleankennels.com.au/pricelist.htm
Besides suggesting home visits,I have even located a moderately priced pet stay facility in your area.
You have not had a true musical experience until you have spent 5 full days at Bluesfest.
Bluesfest is all about opening your mind to new and exciting acts,and such a 5 day experience would greatly expand the number of musical acts you would be able to post about on the forum.

I guess you never saw the movie titled Groundhog Day then? Brick wall d'oh!

I've already considered the Maclean kennels. He is 19 years old, deaf and partly blind. Boarding kennels don't accept dogs with those issues. Everyone I know is away during the Easter break and I know there are dogsitters but that costs money too.

We have been staying at pet friendly accommodation for many years now and there has NEVER been an issue with our dog/s being allowed inside. The problem during Bluesfest / Easter time is always the prices. The greedy Byron Bay holiday house owners hike the prices up to nearly double the normal rate.

Sorry but I don't consider attending a music festival 5 days in a row a mind opening experience but obviously you do. Each to their own.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 4:30:00 PM

eileenk9 wrote:

I guess you never saw the movie titled Groundhog Day then? Brick wall d'oh!
I've already considered the Maclean kennels. He is 19 years old, deaf and partly blind. Boarding kennels don't accept dogs with those issues. Everyone I know is away during the Easter break and I know there are dogsitters but that costs money too.
We have been staying at pet friendly accommodation for many years now and there has NEVER been an issue with our dog/s being allowed inside. The problem during Bluesfest / Easter time is always the prices. The greedy Byron Bay holiday house owners hike the prices up to nearly double the normal rate.
Sorry but I don't consider attending a music festival 5 days in a row a mind opening experience but obviously you do. Each to their own.

I don't like those kind of movies,but looking at the content,you are suggesting that 5 days at Bluesfest is like being in a time capsule where every day is the same.That is disrespectful to Bluesfest,the artists who appear each year,and those of us who have wider tastes in music,outside Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.
Having a dog costs money full stop.And as we both know,unlike short haired dogs,poodles have regular grooming costs,as does a Persian cat.It is like having children.If you have them,you need to be prepared to accept the responsibilities that they bring.