Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Reggae Icon, Gregory Isaacs, Passes On Options
RaucousReg
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 7:31:12 AM

Groups: Member

Isaacs’ hit album Night Nurse was recorded at Tuff Gong studio in Kingston, Jamaica. The reggae star Gregory Isaacs died at the age of 59 at his London home following a long illness, his manager has confirmed.

The Jamaican singer died on Monday morning surrounded by his family.

His 1982 album Night Nurse, recorded at Bob Marley’s Tuff Gong studio, reached number 32 in the UK.

A cover version of the album’s title track, by Sly and Robbie featuring Simply Red, reached number 13 in the UK in September 1997.

Isaacs, who was diagnosed with lung cancer a year ago, had been travelling around Jamaica before returning home to London this summer to spend time with his wife, Linda, and his family.

Following his death, reactions has stated pouring in from friends and family according to the BBC.

“Gregory was well-loved by everyone, his fans and his family, and he worked really hard to make sure he delivered the music they loved and enjoyed,” his wife said.

“He will be greatly missed by his family and friends.”

Singer Suggs, speaking at the Q Awards in London, paid tribute to Isaacs, who supported his band Madness in concert.

“He was a great reggae artist and also one of the most sartorially elegant stars on the world stage,” he said.

I opened up for him in Hawaii with our then-group Tony Gits and the Lions Crew. It was his first US performance in some years and the island swelled for his music for it was what we all surfed to and loved. Upon his arrival to the islands and finding how much his music was loved, he was shocked into tears. He will be greatly missed. RIP Gregory. Peace. Keno Mapp, San Francisco, California, US.

One of the most talented reggae artists in history, greatly under appreciated. A true crooner. My personal favourite is Reform Institution, although the bittersweet ballad Love Is Overdue and Universal Tribulation are true reggae classics. Pawel, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

The music lives on. Gregory Isaacs has left a wonderful legacy in his numerous albums and dubs of his songs. I always enjoy hearing his tunes, as well as those of the late Sugar Minot, on the radio once or twice a week. I’m lucky to live near St Louis, Missouri, which has a great community radio station with two reggae shows. Both shows come on the air at that perfect time of the night for relaxation. There is so much more than Night Nurse in Isaacs’ back catalogue. Dig in and enjoy. Joe, Belleville, Illinois, US.

http://leadership.ng/news/470251/reggae-icon-gregory-isaacs-passes-on
Kowalksi
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 5:32:20 PM

Very sad- a true heavyweight. RIP
repete
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 7:47:18 PM

Sad news indeed. His early deep roots stuff was hypnotic. I still have the original vinyl of Cool Ruler and will be spinning it a bit on the turntable over the next few days. RIP

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
unclerumple
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:10:01 PM

Not sure what's going on in Nigeria but Isaacs actually died on Oct 25 2010 not 2015
repete
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:17:27 PM

unclerumple wrote:
Not sure what's going on in Nigeria but Isaacs actually died on Oct 25 2010 not 2015

You're right!!! I missed it completely....dementia setting in way earlier than I thought. But in his memory, Cool Ruler is still one of the great reggae records.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 6:23:24 PM

repete wrote:
unclerumple wrote:

You're right!!! I missed it completely....dementia setting in way earlier than I thought. But in his memory, Cool Ruler is still one of the great reggae records.

I'm not making fun but that's quite the mistake.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
repete
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 7:58:53 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
repete wrote:
unclerumple wrote:

I'm not making fun but that's quite the mistake.

Indeed...it's almost up there with those emails from kind, wealthy Nigerians wishing to distribute their millions!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen