Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Rapper headlining Bluesfest!? Options
comanche
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:03:55 AM
Groups: Member

What's going on!? Kendrick Lamar? Really?

I guess the "blues" part of Bluesfest took a massive dive today.

To me, rap is at the opposite end of the music spectrum that I would expect to see at Bluesfest, and a genre/artist that I definitely would not pay money for. A recent press release says "He recently won Video of the Year at the MTV Video Music Award's with Swift for his cameo, alongside Lena Dunham, Cindy Crawford and Selena Gomez"

'nuff siad. He doesn't belong here.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:15:59 AM

Headlining in one tent on Thursday !

I have came to the conclusion that all things were possible with the promotion that accompanied
K.C. and the Sunshine band a few years back. I hope he draws a crowd.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:24:32 AM

There's been heaps of rappers over the years a very popular one was Cha 2 Na (I think) over the last 2 years. I would say listen to his music first rather than take media snippets. The blokes never been no 1 in the Aussie pop charts in fact his solo work doesn't get played on commercial radio - triple J play him. Might be worth looking at some reviews from credible critics .. It's a fantastic album you couldn't really pidgin hole it and call it a rap album.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/to-pimp-a-butterfly/kendrick-lamar
BC1987
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:00:19 AM

I find it funny to see someone post that hiphop artists haven't been at bluesfest... the roots, ozomatli, chali 2na, Jurassic 5, grey ghost just to name a few. I agree with the comment above that it is one artist in one tent on the Thursday night. if you don't want to see Kendrick in what I would assume would be the mojo tent then there will be 4 other tents to chose from. I hope Kendrick draws some ticket sales to bluesfest so we can have some names who aren't profitable come to the festival.
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:46:08 AM

Hopefully at the time he plays he will draw a large number of the type of people who like this sort of thing away from the sort of thing normal people like. It will free up space in the other tents.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
tedhadson
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 11:24:58 AM

ditto
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 11:32:44 AM

Okay so this is clearly what normal people like :

http://www.ariacharts.com.au/chart/singles

I prob heard about 5 out of the 50

He doesn't seem to appear there, hopefully we can get Jess Mauyboy back possibly Shannon Noll too ? Or the icon Guy Sebastian
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:05:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iE1Hgc1QYw
I have an open mind about all types of music.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:46:39 PM

BC1987 wrote:
I find it funny to see someone post that hiphop artists haven't been at bluesfest... the roots, ozomatli, chali 2na, Jurassic 5, grey ghost just to name a few. I agree with the comment above that it is one artist in one tent on the Thursday night. if you don't want to see Kendrick in what I would assume would be the mojo tent then there will be 4 other tents to chose from. I hope Kendrick draws some ticket sales to bluesfest so we can have some names who aren't profitable come to the festival.

I agree 100 %

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 4:22:41 PM

grey ghost was new to me a few years back,and it was hard to pidgeonhole his music....but I loved him.
I think with so many different genres of music these days,you have to keep an open mind.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:02:51 PM

waffles wrote:
grey ghost was new to me a few years back,and it was hard to pidgeonhole his music....but I loved him.
I think with so many different genres of music these days,you have to keep an open mind.

I know some of the rappers thought he sold out when he upped the tempo,but I do not agree.
I would love to see him back at Bluesfest if he is still in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxMl-27P_g

waffles
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:18:28 PM

just listening to....TO PIMP A BUTTERFLY..and bluesfest being a family festival you might have to put a language warning on that MOTHERF...Whistle

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
zyfert
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:32:43 PM

I would of thought that the headlining act for Thursday night would be the Tedeschi Trucks band!
psulli12
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:08:57 PM

Bluesfest took a risk and booked an artist at the top of their game, who is turning the hiphop community on its head.
His last album is probably going to be looked at as one of the most important of the decade.
The Roots, Jurassic 5, Ozomatli, Grey Ghost,Matisyahu, and Micheal Franti (hip-hop crew The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy) have all played the festival in the last few years.
Anyone who isn't into Kendrick will get to see Tedeschi Trucks band on the Crossroads (amazing on crossroads a few years back) or any other band playing a headline set on Thursday.
Sure there might be a different crowd on the Thursday night, but Passenger, Boy and Bear, Hozier drew a different crowd too (14-17 year old ladies all in Boho chic attire)
Sure Kendrick is not blues, but neither was Sigur Ros 10 years ago at The Red Devil!
Artists influenced by the blues who have never played the festival before is surely better than getting Ben Harper for his 29th time?
Thats music, man. It divides people.
Bob Dylan playing an electric guitar... Oh shit.
Bring on the risk taking; Bring on the newer artists; Bring on Bluesfest 2016.

(also, I have no doubt Bluesfest have a massive announcement of straight Blues artists up their sleeves)
Styx1954
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:17:56 PM

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing Kendrick Lamar. 'Pimp Like a Butterfly', his latest album, as well as being #1 on numerous Charts is also listed as #1 album on Acclaimed Music's metalist of critical responses. His last album 'good kid, m.A.A.d city' was brilliant and so is 'Pimp like a Butterfly' It is music out of the black ghettos of LA. Structurally it is not the blues but thematically and culturally it comes from the same place the blues arose - out of african american experience of life in the USA.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 3:23:07 AM

zyfert wrote:
I would of thought that the headlining act for Thursday night would be the Tedeschi Trucks band!

No doubt about it, in my mind.

They are the best band I have seen in the last few years, and I have seen plenty.

To each their own, I have never heard or seen of Hedy Lamar before this announcement, so I have not much to say about him.

I just hope that if he draws a big crowd, that he is scheduled to finish 15 minutes after everyone else.

So as to ease the traditional Thursday night, bus line and car park exit debacles.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:16:16 AM

psulli12 wrote:
Bluesfest took a risk and booked an artist at the top of their game, who is turning the hiphop community on its head.
His last album is probably going to be looked at as one of the most important of the decade.
The Roots, Jurassic 5, Ozomatli, Grey Ghost,Matisyahu, and Micheal Franti (hip-hop crew The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy) have all played the festival in the last few years.
Anyone who isn't into Kendrick will get to see Tedeschi Trucks band on the Crossroads (amazing on crossroads a few years back) or any other band playing a headline set on Thursday.
Sure there might be a different crowd on the Thursday night, but Passenger, Boy and Bear, Hozier drew a different crowd too (14-17 year old ladies all in Boho chic attire)
Sure Kendrick is not blues, but neither was Sigur Ros 10 years ago at The Red Devil!
Artists influenced by the blues who have never played the festival before is surely better than getting Ben Harper for his 29th time?

I agree,and if Bluesfest is to continue as a financially viable festival,it needs acts who will draw younger punters in.
Kendrick Lamar has plenty of hits on You Tube clips which is a positive sign.
I will certainly have a look at him,given that I have seen Tedeschi Trucks.

bambambam
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:45:12 AM

Kendrick Who???

I like it when Bluesfest mix it up, Jurassic 5 were great last year.

I'll pop in on Mr Lamar while I'm walking towards TTB.
Might be interesting for a look-see,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:45:06 AM

As I said in the other thread ... time to rename the festival.

Anxious Drool
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:51:09 AM

psulli12 wrote:

(also, I have no doubt Bluesfest have a massive announcement of straight Blues artists up their sleeves)

+1.

Exactly.
Well written.

In my mind, booking Kendrick Lamar is the same as booking Tom Jones. I said in my mind!
Headliners, peripherally associated with "blues", talented performers, I have no burning desire to see either live, but I certainly intend to stand at the abck of the tent for a while and enjoy their shows.

Well done Mr Noble, it's probably caused the most conversation re a bluesfest artist since you announced a headliner as someone, again, for the whatevererth time (I won't name names Jack Johnson).

As someone who attends pretty much every bluesfest, I love it when it's mixed up and there's new stuff.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...