Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

May the King Rest in Peace Options
dogger440
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 4:25:17 PM
Groups: Member

So grateful for the chance to see BB at Bluesfest a few years back...RIP

Blues legend B.B. King has died in Las Vegas at age 89, his lawyer says.

Attorney Brent Bryson told The Associated Press that King died peacefully in his sleep at 9:40pm on Thursday at his home in Las Vegas.

The one-time farmhand brought new fans to the blues and influenced a generation of musicians with his heartfelt vocals and soaring guitar on songs such as "The Thrill Is Gone."

King sold millions of records worldwide and was inducted into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

King played a Gibson guitar that he affectionately called Lucille and was not only the undisputed king of the blues but a mentor to scores of guitarists, including Eric Clapton.

He was awarded his 15th Grammy in 2009 in the traditional blues album category for "One Kind Favour."
finleym
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 4:33:13 PM

Raise a drink for the king.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 4:47:59 PM

I had been expecting this since reading of his recent health problems.
At least he got to do what he loved pretty much right till the end as he has been playing till not so long ago.
Another legend gone.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
pathfinder
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 5:39:01 PM

A sad loss...R.I.P
greybeard
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 5:45:14 PM

A sad loss, may he rest in peace
Thank you for all the music

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
RaucousReg
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 5:58:46 PM

So long and thanks for all the music ...

namaste
RR
repete
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 5:59:42 PM

Yeah I got the sad news via text from a friend this afternoon. RIP great man.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
mpember
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 6:48:01 PM

dissent
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 7:01:54 PM

Such a privilege to have seen him. Thanks for the music.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 9:09:31 PM
Groups: Administration

if you go to the BBC website, there are some beautiful eulogies.
none greater than that by Buddy Guy

Bluesfest festival director Peter Noble has asked that anyone who feels like it to write your BB King experience here.
He will be adding his soon.
This is a sad day for the Blues

the Sky is Crying
Maybe NOT BB's song - BUT - we ALL KNOW The Thrill will NEVER be gone - The King's music will live forever

garyp1603
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 11:43:29 PM

Indianola Mississippi Seeds & Live At Cook County Jail will get a run this weekend Applause

What a tone he produced on his G. What a voice. He leaves such a legacy

I bet B.B. has already sat down ready to roll dice up there with the best of them

Vale The King

"I'd welcome the stars with wine and guitars, full of fire and forgetful" Townes Van Zandt
mpember
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 12:25:51 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Bluesfest festival director Peter Noble has asked that anyone who feels like it to write your BB King experience here.

This photo was taken at BF in 2011. I had originally resigned myself to the idea that my budget could not stretch to afford buying a ticket for his side gig in Melbourne. In the days leading up to the event, I found someone selling a single ticket at below face value. It was a sign.

After seeing his act in Melbourne, I knew exactly where to stick myself for his gig at BF.

The photo is now a 1m x 0.5m canvas print hanging on my living room wall.

I am reminded of those gigs every time I enter the room.

RIP Riley 'Blues Boy' King
midfielder
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 12:42:43 AM

dogger440 wrote:
So grateful for the chance to see BB at Bluesfest a few years back...RIP

Blues legend B.B. King has died in Las Vegas at age 89, his lawyer says.

Attorney Brent Bryson told The Associated Press that King died peacefully in his sleep at 9:40pm on Thursday at his home in Las Vegas.

The one-time farmhand brought new fans to the blues and influenced a generation of musicians with his heartfelt vocals and soaring guitar on songs such as "The Thrill Is Gone."

King sold millions of records worldwide and was inducted into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

King played a Gibson guitar that he affectionately called Lucille and was not only the undisputed king of the blues but a mentor to scores of guitarists, including Eric Clapton.

He was awarded his 15th Grammy in 2009 in the traditional blues album category for "One Kind Favour."

+99999999999999999999999
midfielder
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 12:44:01 AM

bazcaz
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 10:13:45 AM

Here is a BB King Special I did for my show on Tuesday....recorded on BB King day before he passed away.....Enjoy

https://www.mixcloud.com/Bazcaz/blues-on-the-hill-show-18-2015-bb-king-special/

Music with PASSION Music with SOUL Music that MATTERS
Flegal08
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 12:22:27 PM

Yep, another sad day, played a few records last night, sat around had a few drinks and reminisced about catching him
at Bluesfest. The world is a lessor place for his passing.
nocheesegromit
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 5:42:21 PM

Didn't see BB at Bluesfest, but years before when he toured with U2. While I was happy to be seeing U2 its the memory of seeing a deadest legend that has stayed with me.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 8:32:54 PM
Groups: Administration

Peter Noble, Bluesfest Director:

I am deeply touched by the passing of BB King and I know I am not alone!

The first time I heard 'Sweet Little Angel' and '3 O'clock Blues' was in the Sixties, although they were all released as singles by BB King in the 1950's. They were compiled on the 'Singin' The Blues', his debut album which originally came out in 1957 - and were available in the collectors record stores in Sydney like Martin's and Ashwood's - if you were lucky enough to be there on the day they arrived as imports

In the 60's UK and white American Artist's such as the Rolling Stones, John Mayall, Canned Heat, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band and many, many more played Blues championing the music and it wasn't long before us fans found the source.

There were so many 'discovery' artists to be found in Blues at the time from Slim Harpo to Elmore James, Muddy Waters to Howling Wolf, Bo Diddley to Jimmy Reed, Robert Johnson to Albert King, Freddie King to Sonny Boy Williamson and so many more. Canned Heat did an album with John Lee Hooker in 1971 titled Hooker 'N Heat which bought John to widespread fame for the first time, BUT NONE were greater than BB King.

His singing testifying from his soul, combined with the incredible way he stretched the strings in that simple, but totally impossible to emulate, style was another thing altogether. Sheer magic and then there were the songs.

I don't think I EVER heard anything sexier than 'Sweet Little Angel' or 'Sweet Sixteen'. And, like thousands of other garage bands at the time, we proudly played BB's 'Rock Me Baby' in our set to spread the word.

When BB King performed at the Hordern Pavilion in the early 70's in Sydney on his first Australian tour, it was a pilgrimage for all of us to be there, in fact I believe just about EVERY musician in town who called himself a REAL musician turned up. Unfortunately BB became ill during his performance and had to cut the performance short, BUT we did get to see the legend himself, live on stage!

There are going to be so many stories in the media in the coming days, weeks and months - hailing BB King, and his music, his humble demeanour and his profound influence in music.

I would like to add to this, if I may, my experience, for I believe it tells a lot about why he really WAS the king.

My first major concert promotion was in 1978 at the Paramount Theatre in Portland, Oregon, USA, where I lived for most of the 1970's. The headliner was BB King, and it was to be the greatest night of my life.

BB got up with his huge band, and it was smokin', however, in the second song, something terrible happened - the sound system blew up!

I could have died on the spot.

However, it was on that night I saw the magnificence of the man, and WHY, he truly was the King of the Blues.

BB King had his crew turn around the wedges - the small speakers on stage that the artist uses to hear his performance, toward the audience, and then, he said to them:

'I know you can't hear me the way you expect to tonight, and that you are disappointed, but let me tell you, I'm here to play for you, and tonight I'm not leaving this stage until I have played EVERY song you came to hear’.

BB King kept his word - and did a three hour performance, where he took requests, and literally took a potentially bad situation, where a lesser performer, may have played the bare minimum time, and got off stage and out of town as soon as he could, BUT, this was NEVER going to be what BB King delivered to his fans - he took a bad situation and turned it into a triumph, a simply unforgettable performance, which once it concluded he topped by saying to those present:

'Now I'm now not going to leave the stage until each and every one of you here that wants to meet me, get an autograph or a picture taken with me comes on stage now'.

True to his word he remained on the stage for a good hour and greeted every single person who wanted to meet him.

I was so embarrassed - but I got in that line and asked for an autographed photo, the one that accompanies this post. BB King wrote - '' To Peter - Stay With It - BB King'.

I had no right to expect BB King to EVER want to work with me again - however, he returned to the same theatre the next year, and yes he agreed to be promoted by me again- and even larger number of tickets were sold, and oh yes, the sound system worked just fine.

There are so many BB King stories, and this is just one of them and Yes, I DID stay with it - and got to present the King again in 2011 at Bluesfest. It was such a pleasure to see him again, and a source of great pride, and an honour, to present him in Byron Bay to his adoring fans.

The thrill of presenting BB King will NEVER be gone for me - and in listening to his music, it will always be a thrill to hear him.

I miss BB King dearly - and this is very, very personal to me that he has passed.

His encouragement on that night long ago in Portland, Oregon, gave a young first time promoter, who loved the music, BUT had so much to learn, the courage to continue, and to present the Blues, in a way I hoped he would have been proud of.

He simply was one of, if not THE greatest Bluesman of them all.

Go find those early albums by BB King - such as The Jungle, or Singin' the Blues or the album that inspired Eric Clapton to play the Blues - 'Live at the Regal, there are so many more great recordings - 'Live in Cook county Jail' is one of my favourites, put them on, and you will be transported to the same timeless place that all of us have discovered when we first heard the King. And, if you have those great recordings, please get them out, and listen to them again

And in listening to him - YOU are Keeping the Blues Alive - for I believe THAT - would have been his greatest wish!

My heart also goes out to his family and loved ones during this time!

Thanks for reading!

Hopefully this link will take you straight to the picture BB King signed for me!

https://www.facebook.com/bluesfestbyronbay/photos/pcb.996211403752647/996200953753692/?type=1&theater

rstroud
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 11:06:40 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:

Peter Noble, Bluesfest Director:

I am deeply touched by the passing of BB King and I know I am not alone!

The first time I heard 'Sweet Little Angel' and '3 O'clock Blues' was in the Sixties, although they were all released as singles by BB King in the 1950's. They were compiled on the 'Singin' The Blues', his debut album which originally came out in 1957 - and were available in the collectors record stores in Sydney like Martin's and Ashwood's - if you were lucky enough to be there on the day they arrived as imports

In the 60's UK and white American Artist's such as the Rolling Stones, John Mayall, Canned Heat, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band and many, many more played Blues championing the music and it wasn't long before us fans found the source.

There were so many 'discovery' artists to be found in Blues at the time from Slim Harpo to Elmore James, Muddy Waters to Howling Wolf, Bo Diddley to Jimmy Reed, Robert Johnson to Albert King, Freddie King to Sonny Boy Williamson and so many more. Canned Heat did an album with John Lee Hooker in 1971 titled Hooker 'N Heat which bought John to widespread fame for the first time, BUT NONE were greater than BB King.

His singing testifying from his soul, combined with the incredible way he stretched the strings in that simple, but totally impossible to emulate, style was another thing altogether. Sheer magic and then there were the songs.

I don't think I EVER heard anything sexier than 'Sweet Little Angel' or 'Sweet Sixteen'. And, like thousands of other garage bands at the time, we proudly played BB's 'Rock Me Baby' in our set to spread the word.

Thanks Peter

Beautifully heartfelt words..

All you can do is honour BB King by keeping the blues alive at Bluesfest

RIP BB

Rod S

When BB King performed at the Hordern Pavilion in the early 70's in Sydney on his first Australian tour, it was a pilgrimage for all of us to be there, in fact I believe just about EVERY musician in town who called himself a REAL musician turned up. Unfortunately BB became ill during his performance and had to cut the performance short, BUT we did get to see the legend himself, live on stage!

There are going to be so many stories in the media in the coming days, weeks and months - hailing BB King, and his music, his humble demeanour and his profound influence in music.

I would like to add to this, if I may, my experience, for I believe it tells a lot about why he really WAS the king.

My first major concert promotion was in 1978 at the Paramount Theatre in Portland, Oregon, USA, where I lived for most of the 1970's. The headliner was BB King, and it was to be the greatest night of my life.

BB got up with his huge band, and it was smokin', however, in the second song, something terrible happened - the sound system blew up!

I could have died on the spot.

However, it was on that night I saw the magnificence of the man, and WHY, he truly was the King of the Blues.

BB King had his crew turn around the wedges - the small speakers on stage that the artist uses to hear his performance, toward the audience, and then, he said to them:

'I know you can't hear me the way you expect to tonight, and that you are disappointed, but let me tell you, I'm here to play for you, and tonight I'm not leaving this stage until I have played EVERY song you came to hear’.

BB King kept his word - and did a three hour performance, where he took requests, and literally took a potentially bad situation, where a lesser performer, may have played the bare minimum time, and got off stage and out of town as soon as he could, BUT, this was NEVER going to be what BB King delivered to his fans - he took a bad situation and turned it into a triumph, a simply unforgettable performance, which once it concluded he topped by saying to those present:

'Now I'm now not going to leave the stage until each and every one of you here that wants to meet me, get an autograph or a picture taken with me comes on stage now'.

True to his word he remained on the stage for a good hour and greeted every single person who wanted to meet him.

I was so embarrassed - but I got in that line and asked for an autographed photo, the one that accompanies this post. BB King wrote - '' To Peter - Stay With It - BB King'.

I had no right to expect BB King to EVER want to work with me again - however, he returned to the same theatre the next year, and yes he agreed to be promoted by me again- and even larger number of tickets were sold, and oh yes, the sound system worked just fine.

There are so many BB King stories, and this is just one of them and Yes, I DID stay with it - and got to present the King again in 2011 at Bluesfest. It was such a pleasure to see him again, and a source of great pride, and an honour, to present him in Byron Bay to his adoring fans.

The thrill of presenting BB King will NEVER be gone for me - and in listening to his music, it will always be a thrill to hear him.

I miss BB King dearly - and this is very, very personal to me that he has passed.

His encouragement on that night long ago in Portland, Oregon, gave a young first time promoter, who loved the music, BUT had so much to learn, the courage to continue, and to present the Blues, in a way I hoped he would have been proud of.

He simply was one of, if not THE greatest Bluesman of them all.

Go find those early albums by BB King - such as The Jungle, or Singin' the Blues or the album that inspired Eric Clapton to play the Blues - 'Live at the Regal, there are so many more great recordings - 'Live in Cook county Jail' is one of my favourites, put them on, and you will be transported to the same timeless place that all of us have discovered when we first heard the King. And, if you have those great recordings, please get them out, and listen to them again

And in listening to him - YOU are Keeping the Blues Alive - for I believe THAT - would have been his greatest wish!

My heart also goes out to his family and loved ones during this time!

Thanks for reading!

Hopefully this link will take you straight to the picture BB King signed for me!

https://www.facebook.com/bluesfestbyronbay/photos/pcb.996211403752647/996200953753692/?type=1&theater

zyfert
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:32:26 AM