Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

From Bluesfest Facebook post - opinions on 5pm headliners Options
mgwfall
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 11:38:18 AM
Groups: Member

Bluesfest posted this for comment over on facebook, would be interesting to get Forum posters opinions. Mine, some earlier headliners good idea but 5pm too early.

"I would like to share with you that I am toying with a couple of ideas. One is doing a headliner performance at 5pm daily, so our families, which are such an important part of Bluesfest, can get to see genuine 100% headliners before their young ones get tired and they need to take them home.

Another idea is to present, say 20 artists, who have either never toured Australia, or if Australian never played Bluesfest before, or not for many years next year. A large amount of these will be contemporary artists, who went so well this year. However, we will not be forgetting the artists who have had longer careers, and I am in discussions with a number who will be coming in 2016 including a couple of genuine legends who can easily sell out arenas."
pod2006
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 1:28:14 PM

5.00pm on a Thursday for a headliner is not a good idea. It was frustrating to have 4 full buses pass near the Byron hospital before an empty one finally arrived. It being a school day also, there is obviously a limit to bus resources. Hard to anticipate what time you get to the stages.
It may be a similar issue on other days as people reschedule their Lunch/swim timetables and all attempt to head out at the peak time rather than mosey on out at their leisure. My experience is, schedule it and they will come.

I certainly would not begrudge an idea that is family focussed.

And I would love to see new buds; offshoots and reinventions- artists who were once pop but are now bluesy, soul, country/roots (a la alex Lloyd; Russell morris.
pod2006
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 1:28:15 PM

5.00pm on a Thursday for a headliner is not a good idea. It was frustrating to have 4 full buses pass near the Byron hospital before an empty one finally arrived. It being a school day also, there is obviously a limit to bus resources. Hard to anticipate what time you get to the stages.
It may be a similar issue on other days as people reschedule their Lunch/swim timetables and all attempt to head out at the peak time rather than mosey on out at their leisure. My experience is, schedule it and they will come.

I certainly would not begrudge an idea that is family focussed.

And I would love to see new buds; offshoots and reinventions- artists who were once pop but are now bluesy, soul, country/roots (a la alex Lloyd; Russell morris.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 6:24:14 PM

i think the early headliners would be a great idea. maybe 6.00pm .would certainly help the traffic problem.look at jazzfest... all over by 9.00pm.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
richo
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:56:06 PM

So long as the festival maintains a level of quality programming after said 5pm headliners I can see it working. And even then, it's natural that for a lot of headliners (particularly more mainstream... I'm thinking Santanas etc.) a large percentage of the crowd will only be there to see them and will promptly be on their way.

This to me will be the hard part... you could be doing a disservice to less well known artists who are getting paid less and no doubt do so on the generally accepted premise at festivals that they'll get good exposure.

On the other hand, I love the idea of half the crowd leaving at 8pm so that when it comes midnight it's not madness in the carpark or bus queues... but then I'm thinking organisers would probably find a way to make sure it's still painful for everyone. Maybe halve the number of buses or let cars out even slower so we get the Bluesfest experience we know and love?