Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Tent City - in the over flow from showers and toilet Options
dtilden
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:46:17 PM
Groups: Member

Can we ask please next year that the tents do NOT be situated in the toilet/shower run off area. The first day camping was fine but after peeps started to arrive and use the amenities my tent ( first in line from showers/toilet) was barely tolerable. I had a little one with me and not very hygienic for us at all. We have camped before and it has been great.

Is there really the need to place tent city tents this close to the overflow area? It really took the shine off our camping experience. We had brought our food to cook and enjoy our time at our tent before opening at 12pm each day. However by day 2 we were sitting in our car waiting for opening time as we could not sit outside our tent as the 'swamp' and stench was up around our ankles as we stepped out of our tent and impossible to even make a morning coffee.

It was so bad I was packed up and ready to go Monday morning, it was only that some 3 day tix holders were leaving and we jumped into their tent that we stayed. Oh so nice to be able to put our feet down and not sink up to our ankles.

It had nothing to do with the weather it was the position next to the amenities. I hope to book tent city for 2016 as we have brought our tix already, but Please Please do not put tents so close to the overflow area.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 7:58:20 AM

In my opinion,you were extremely tolerant,given the circumstances you found yourself in.
I would have been somewhat more vocal,and would have requested a transfer to another part of the camping area.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
mpember
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 9:09:11 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I would have been somewhat more vocal,and would have requested a transfer to another part of the camping area.

Since the Tent City operation included lights and other semi-permanent fittings, that was never going to be an option.

dtilden wrote:
Can we ask please next year that the tents do NOT be situated in the toilet/shower run off area.

There were many corners cut in the operation of this year's camping. Less gravel was laid at the entry to each 'row' of camping. They also tend to 'oversell' the space available. This means that those who turn up early appear to be allocated enough room to move around their tents and those who turn up closer to the start of the event are placed on top of each other.

Perhaps future events could place a requirement on campers to opt for a 'large' site if they plan on bringing a separate marque for the purpose of providing an outdoor dining/entertaining area.
Bradders
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 9:58:53 PM

mpember wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

Since the Tent City operation included lights and other semi-permanent fittings, that was never going to be an option.

dtilden wrote:
Can we ask please next year that the tents do NOT be situated in the toilet/shower run off area.

There were many corners cut in the operation of this year's camping. Less gravel was laid at the entry to each 'row' of camping. They also tent to 'oversell' the space available. This means that those who turn up early appear to be allocated enough room to move around their tents and those who turn up closer to the start of the event are placed on top of each other.

Perhaps future events could place a requirement on campers to opt for a 'large' site if they plan on bringing a separate marque for the purpose of providing an outdoor dining/entertaining area.

we were there first up and believe me we were put in on top of each other... it seemed as you got closer to the main road the more the sites got spread out...
Bradders
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 9:58:54 PM

mpember wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

dtilden wrote:

There were many corners cut in the operation of this year's camping. Less gravel was laid at the entry to each 'row' of camping. They also tent to 'oversell' the space available. This means that those who turn up early appear to be allocated enough room to move around their tents and those who turn up closer to the start of the event are placed on top of each other.

we were there first up and believe me we were put in on top of each other... it seemed as you got closer to the main road the more the sites got spread out...
rstroud
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 10:20:08 PM

dtilden wrote:
Can we ask please next year that the tents do NOT be situated in the toilet/shower run off area. The first day camping was fine but after peeps started to arrive and use the amenities my tent ( first in line from showers/toilet) was barely tolerable. I had a little one with me and not very hygienic for us at all. We have camped before and it has been great.

Is there really the need to place tent city tents this close to the overflow area? It really took the shine off our camping experience. We had brought our food to cook and enjoy our time at our tent before opening at 12pm each day. However by day 2 we were sitting in our car waiting for opening time as we could not sit outside our tent as the 'swamp' and stench was up around our ankles as we stepped out of our tent and impossible to even make a morning coffee.

It was so bad I was packed up and ready to go Monday morning, it was only that some 3 day tix holders were leaving and we jumped into their tent that we stayed. Oh so nice to be able to put our feet down and not sink up to our ankles.

It had nothing to do with the weather it was the position next to the amenities. I hope to book tent city for 2016 as we have brought our tix already, but Please Please do not put tents so close to the overflow area.

We walked past your tent several times each day and felt sorry that you should have to put up with this siuation. BF should be ashamed about your conditions and yet you are so graceful about what happened to you. The music was brilliant but the issues of human comfort such as drainage can be easily resolved.

Rod S
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 10:23:48 PM

Bradders wrote:
mpember wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

dtilden wrote:

Which is why I would have asked to be moved to a more outlying area if I was where dtilden was.
I stay in a backpackers for $30 per night,get a roof over my head,bunk with mattress and linen supplied[plus towel for $1],plus clean ablution facilities.
There is no way I would camp in the conditions described by dtilden.
Unless I was 18 to 25 and a party animal.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
mpember
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 10:37:50 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Which is why I would have asked to be moved to a more outlying area if I was where dtilden was.

Perhaps you have misunderstood what the Tent Motel service is. The service involves the provision of a pre-assembled tent with camping beds and mattresses also included. They even provide small led lighting inside the tent.

It isn't something that can simply be picked up and moved on a whim.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 11:11:45 PM

mpember wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

Perhaps you have misunderstood what the Tent Motel service is. The service involves the provision of a pre-assembled tent with camping beds and mattresses also included. They even provide small led lighting inside the tent.

My life involves thinking outside the square.
As Vice President of our local tramping club,I have plenty of experience in assembling and unassembling tents in various locations.
It is not a difficult task to relocate such items.
No point remaining where the environment is not satisfactory.

mpember
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 7:46:56 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

Physically? You are correct. If the occupant was willing to sacrifice the use of the pre-wired lighting, it would be physically possible to dismantle the tent, move to another site and reassemble it. Logistically? That's another issue. The operator of the service has been allocated a specific area for the purpose of maintaining control of their assets during the festival. I'm sure they would prefer not to have to keep track of each tent after allowing them to be spread throughout the site. Are you volunteering to take on the role of advocating for anyone who pays for Tent Motel and finds their tent location unappealing? What happened to your "It's Blues Fest, stop complaining" attitude which often comes through in your posts?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 11:04:10 AM

mpember wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

Physically? You are correct. If the occupant was willing to sacrifice the use of the pre-wired lighting, it would be physically possible to dismantle the tent, move to another site and reassemble it. Logistically? That's another issue. The operator of the service has been allocated a specific area for the purpose of maintaining control of their assets during the festival. I'm sure they would prefer not to have to keep track of each tent after allowing them to be spread throughout the site. Are you volunteering to take on the role of advocating for anyone who pays for Tent Motel and finds their tent location unappealing? What happened to your "It's Blues Fest, stop complaining" attitude which often comes through in your posts?

Your post is naive considering that as per the Nikki Hill thread opened by Admin,Bluesfest considered that I was making too many negative posts and suspended me from posting.
As for lighting,when you are tramping and camping,if required, you wear a lead light on your forehead in order to show you where you are going.
If caught in the bush at night trampers may have to use these for hours,and therefore require a spare supply of batteries.
They alse require spare sets of batteries for their hand held GPS,which many,including myself carry with us.
I will not be replying to any further posts from you on this topic.
I will leave you to debate the same with your mother in regard to your mutual Bluesfest experiences.
Hopefully,as Admin suggested to you pre festival,you will start making posts about music.
As per usual,none of your posts contain any comment in regard to the acts that appeared at Bluesfest.

JamesG1
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 3:56:07 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
mpember wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

Your post is naive considering that as per the Nikki Hill thread opened by Admin,Bluesfest considered that I was making too many negative posts and suspended me from posting.
As for lighting,when you are tramping and camping,if required, you wear a lead light on your forehead in order to show you where you are going.
If caught in the bush at night trampers may have to use these for hours,and therefore require a spare supply of batteries.
They alse require spare sets of batteries for their hand held GPS,which many,including myself carry with us.
I will not be replying to any further posts from you on this topic.
I will leave you to debate the same with your mother in regard to your mutual Bluesfest experiences.
Hopefully,as Admin suggested to you pre festival,you will start making posts about music.
As per usual,none of your posts contain any comment in regard to the acts that appeared at Bluesfest.

Dear OTHER posters/readers of this forum,

Are you starting to think that the good things you take from this forum are being outweighed by the amount of your time being wasted having to wade through bickering (see above) from the usual suspects who a) often dominate and/or usurp particular threads, and b) often have no cause to post in the first place?

Are you starting to question whether it's worth continuing reading this forum for the odd morsel of music news, or useful advice?

Do you think Bluesfest is aware how many MORE festivals we will potentially attend over the next 10/20/30 years provided we maintain an interest in the festival on the whole? Of course it is.

Regardless of whether this post is allowed to remain or not, it is only the quelling of the incessant babbling by those who rarely enhance the forum in any way that will keep me coming back.

Insofar as we are unable to limit posts from certain posters, this board in NOT superior to Facebook, as has been previously argued. And yes, Facebook contains mainly mindless tagging and OMGs.

Now to return to the topic:

dtilden, I agree with Rod S you have handled the issue with grace and suffered enough! Hopefully something good comes of it for you. Easy to say now, but I'd have offered you the dry space we had if I'd seen you.

If we ever meet I'll tell you my story of T in the Park in Edinburgh during the UK floods of 2012... trust me it will make you feel better.
__

distinctlyme
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 10:40:19 PM

JamesG1 wrote:

Dear OTHER posters/readers of this forum,

Are you starting to think that the good things you take from this forum are being outweighed by the amount of your time being wasted having to wade through bickering (see above) from the usual suspects who a) often dominate and/or usurp particular threads, and b) often have no cause to post in the first place?

Are you starting to question whether it's worth continuing reading this forum for the odd morsel of music news, or useful advice?

YES. Tired of the nastiness and bitter comments in this forum. It's poor form and scares away newcomers.

dtilden - sorry for your experience. Seeing as though this is after the fact I won't go through should have's and could have's....but hope that Bluesfest takes note of your feedback.
bucetti1
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 8:04:40 AM

Compared to other forums,I find this one sophisticated,informative and generally positive.
I also like a lot of the forum's posters.They are passionate and bright.

When they go low-we go high.
tahniday
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:52:22 PM

[quote=dtilden]Can we ask please next year that the tents do NOT be situated in the toilet/shower run off area. The first day camping was fine but after peeps started to arrive and use the amenities my tent ( first in line from showers/toilet) was barely tolerable. I had a little one with me and not very hygienic for us at all. We have camped before and it has been great.

[/ Was your tent the one I saw covered in mud right next to the toilets? I really feel for you and agree that no tents should be placed so close to the toilets and showers! quote]
milkmeister
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 1:28:14 PM

It did look grim in that area, we were lucky to be down the far end where the ground in front of our tent wasn't too bad. I'd also add to this that putting down wooden pallets near the showers/toilets should be something they do BEFORE the festival starts, not after a day of rain. It's not like the rain was a surprise!
cushlamay
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 10:38:58 PM

mpember wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

For the price you pay for the tent motel it is not much to expect to be in a reasonable area. Sounds like they squeezed a few more tents in. If it were me I would have been complaining loudly until something was done about it. Where we camped there was a disgusting bog around the showers and some poor people camped within feet of it.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 3:57:06 PM

cushlamay wrote:
mpember wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

For the price you pay for the tent motel it is not much to expect to be in a reasonable area. Sounds like they squeezed a few more tents in. If it were me I would have been complaining loudly until something was done about it. Where we camped there was a disgusting bog around the showers and some poor people camped within feet of it.

http://www.yha.co.nz/hostels/north-island-hostels/yha-auckland-city/
I benchmark the cost of accommodation by what I have to pay to stay in a major city.
In Auckland,I always stay at the YHA Auckland City.
Bus in and out to the airport costs $16 each way.
A bunk in a 6 bed to 3 bed room cost from $26 to $31 per bed.
All ablution facilities available.
A roof over your head and solid flooring.
Within five blocks you have the major music sites of Vector/Tuning Fork,Powerstation,Civic and Aotea Centre.
Easy walking distance.
The major music shop Real Groovy is just around the corner.
The Byron area receives around 40 % more annual rainfall than Auckland.
And Auckland is a wet place,receiving 60 % more annual rainfall than Dunedin.
Camping in high rainfall areas is fraught with risks.