Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Trombone Shorty @ The Corner Hotel Options
repete
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2015 5:30:39 PM
Groups: Member

Saw Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue last night and I have to say from the countless times I have now seen him play that this gig was the best. It was an incredibly intense 12 out of 10 performance. Maybe it was the venue...Trombone Shorty and the Corner go together like a hand in a glove (it's so obvious he feels at home)...but I seemed to notice a far greater emphasis on the band, rather than Shorty as the band leader. Sure enough, he is still the front man and band leader (and exceptionally gifted trombone and trumpet player) but during this performance, the emphasis was entirely on the band creating an incredible sound together. And they're some of the finest of New Orleans best. Pete Murano's guitar work now places him in the company of New Orleans great funk guitarists Leo Nocentelli and June Yamagichi; the work of "uncle" Dan Oestreicher on baritone sax was amazing. Surely I witnessed the best baritone sax solo I have ever heard (and I've been in the presence of the legendary Gerry Mulligan), and the work of Mike Ballard on bass drove the band's relentless funk. The new sax player (who's name I missed) was pretty hot too!! There were so many more subtle nuances in the music than I have heard before, and Shorty's vocals have improved hugely. The sight of a sold out audience doing a funky slide had to be seen to be believed. I hope some of you caught Orleans Avenue during fest as well as the support act, Keziah Jones - I only caught the last song and a half of his show which was enough to make me wish for a whole lot more.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
mgwfall
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 9:55:54 PM
Groups: Member

Good review. Saw them Friday at Bluesfest. I too thought it was more about the band this time. Was a bit worried my trumpet playing nephews may have been disappointed in not as much trombone & trumpet playing, but shouldn't have, hugely impressed. And they ended the night seeing Gary Clark Jr for the first time. Think they like this Bluesfest thing!