Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Unhappy Artists Options
pan
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:59:24 PM
Groups: Member

Luka Bloom seemed to be running at 50% compared to prior years.
Paul Kelly didn't seem happy neither did most artists I saw.
I don't mean laughing and smiling either (in case there are some smarties out there).
Leonard Cohen is pretty sombre but he looks like he's glad to be there when onstage.
So what was it this year?

Did they get fed up with sound bleed? Drunks? People talking on mobiles during their sets? I know I did.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:28:13 AM

I think you must have watched the wrong artists.

Artists I watched who seemed happy.....

Mic Conway's National Junk Band
Kush Cabaret
Mojo Juju & The Snake Oil Merchants
Opposable Thumbs
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Zappa Plays Zappa
Watermelon Slim & The Workers
Sonny Landreth & Band
James Hunter & Band[Did relay thought patterns to Jambalaya sound crew but did not seem upset]
Hot Club Of Cowtown
Rodney Crowell
Pugsley Buzzard
C W Stoneking
Pete Cornelius & The Devilles
That 1 Guy
Old Spice Boys
Drive By Truckers
Terrance Simien
Eugene Hideaway Bridges
Booker T Jones
The Bamboos
Special Beat
Son Veneno
Tijuana Cartel
Lucinda Williams it was hard to tell.
Alpha Blondy
Easy Star All Stars
Blues Traveller

Luka Bloom is Irish like me and they are a strange lot.
He didn't seem any different to the last time I saw him at Bluesfest with a crowd the size of a postage stamp.

I've never seen Paul Kelly so can't comment.

Xavier Rudd had a huge line-up at the cd tent,and didn't seem unhappy.
Didn't see Dallas Frasca play,but she seemed happy enough signing at the cd tent.,

At a larger fest it isn't as easy to talk to the artists,but I talked to BBVD & WS,who were happy.

It is all in your own head.

In fact all of your posts have been negative.

By theloneranger at 2009-04-22

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:33:19 AM
Groups: Guest

Perhaps the artists that were looking unhappy took one look at Pans demure expression & it put them in a bad mood.
Rabbitoh_1969
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:32:47 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

Luka Bloom is Irish like me and they are a strange lot.

By theloneranger at 2009-04-22

That explains everything! But I do have to agree with your comments. I've read the blog on Blues Traveler's website about the festival and they loved it and are wondering why they didn't come here earlier!
RaucousReg
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:59:32 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I think you must have watched the wrong artists.

Artists I watched who seemed happy.....

Mic Conway's National Junk Band
Kush Cabaret
Mojo Juju & The Snake Oil Merchants
Opposable Thumbs
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Zappa Plays Zappa
Watermelon Slim & The Workers
Sonny Landreth & Band
James Hunter & Band[Did relay thought patterns to Jambalaya sound crew but did not seem upset]
Hot Club Of Cowtown
Rodney Crowell
Pugsley Buzzard
C W Stoneking
Pete Cornelius & The Devilles
That 1 Guy
Old Spice Boys
Drive By Truckers
Terrance Simien
Eugene Hideaway Bridges
Booker T Jones
The Bamboos
Special Beat
Son Veneno
Tijuana Cartel
Lucinda Williams it was hard to tell.
Alpha Blondy
Easy Star All Stars
Blues Traveller

Extensive list Patrick. I assume you didn't catch the radiantly joyful Ayo?

namaste
RR
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:47:45 PM

Hi Reg,

No I only ventured inside Mojo for Z plays Z.

I did see Ayo on the screen outside,but a cursory glance doesn't count.

I also saw
Toni Childs[such a weird part set I don't know what her mood was]

Bob Log 3{Yes I did see him do the crowd surf in the inflatable boat,and he seemed quite happy signing at the cd tent complete with helmet and telephone on]

Tinariwen[If I was opening my mind to the doors of perception,I am in no doubt this would have been quite interesting,but as with Sigur Ros,it didn't really hook me in]

The end of Jeff Lang[must see more]

I would have liked to catch some stuff in the Indig tent but Cabaret was more of a hook for me down that end as I like theatre.

There seems to be a thought pattern that it was Mojo down one end and Crossroads/Jambalaya/Apra down the other.

The reality is that it was not far to walk down to Indig/Cabaret,and walking helps when you are standing in one spot.

Being there for the full day every day is essential to catching as much as possible.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
maccain1
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:04:54 PM

Luka Bloom seemed totally pXssed off.

No wonder is brother the iconic christy moore has turned into one of the most depressing artists on the planet - nothing nice to say about anything.

saying all that grumpy as he seemed he was exceptional.

Christy Moore would be a huge coup for bluesfest but he would never travel as hes a misrable git.
colinsid
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:10:48 PM

They were possibly unhappy because they thought they were going somewhere tropical for a holiday & to play a bit of music only to find it was wet & miserable outside.
HowlinBindog
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:11:07 PM

Im not sure why you thought Luka seemed unhappy

He came across, to me at least, as the normal Luka that Ive heard on radio and seen on stage numerous times

Always seems like a pretty level headed, together bloke with an interesting way of looking at life
RaucousReg
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:54:11 PM

maccain1 wrote:
Christy Moore would be a huge coup for bluesfest but he would never travel as hes (sic) a misrable (sic) git.

Also because his health these days precludes touring?

namaste
RR
samk26
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 4:50:13 PM

haha i like how you saw the 'wrong' artists Pan.... Lone ranger- you still hounding people on here? I haven't been on the forum in a while but noticed you're still sitting on top letting everyone know its your way or the highway with your superior musical knowledge and wisdom.

Pan, i didnt venture to Mojo at all this year but i also heard that Paul Kelly seemed unhappy and a few friends added they didnt particularly like the set?? Maybe the crowd wasnt expecting his setlist and didnt give him much appreciation? Some mates of mine also said Ben Harper wasnt real enthusiastic towards the crowd either?

Anyway, Lone Ranger maybe you can ask these artists to please not bother coming to BF next year and stay home to watch TV instead if they are going to be unhappy on stage?

Am i allowed to say i thought majority of goers that looked younger than me (24) were totally inconsiderate and complete tools. I stood at the front next to two girls talking and laughing throughout Tim Finn's set on Sunday. Even after an older couple both asked them to stop they flat out ignored them and kept on going. Sure you're going to get that anywhere you play- i've seen Diesel end a set after 10 mins from punters who paid $20 ea. talking the whole time, but performers arent going to take to it too well...

As most people have said, Belongil (or its size) is attracting the younger, rowdier crowd and i think it'll just get worse in years to come... If i were a family with kids that went every year, i'd be very cautious in returning back to that venue as a few people have mentioned. Bring back Red Devil, give the kids Splendour and make BF what it once was.

jarryd987
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 10:41:59 PM

samk26 wrote:
give the kids Splendour and make BF what it once was.

Now I'm not standng up for the young people who appear to be there for the party and not the music but you've got to be careful in wanting to shunt all young people to Splendour. Splendour caters for rather different genres of music which I for one, being 19 myself, are not really into. Don't get me wrong I'd enjoy it and I'd love to see a few of the artists this year (like Sarah Blasko) but I'd much rather go to Bluesfest purely because that's the music I'm into. I've seen a lot of suggestions of sending young people to Splendour on this forum (how you'd do that in the first place I'll never know!) which is a very shallow idea with no apparent thought given, almost age based discrimination in my books. "Too young sorry you can't come to the festival" That's a joke. It's not the solution.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 11:11:50 PM

By theloneranger at 2009-04-24

jarryd987 receives his PHD for yet another intelligent post.

I welcome jarryd987 to the Board and congratulate him for the exceptionately high Quality of every post he has made to date.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 11:15:01 PM

By theloneranger at 2009-04-24

Meanwhile,Samk26,who belongs to the Z generation, knows it all................

Will Peter Noble seriously consider Samk26's suggestion of making Bluesfest R 24 ???? [Restricted to those of 24 years of age and older]

The likelihood is that it would result in Bluesfest not being able to afford to operate the Mojo tent due to the dramatic change in festival demographics.

I don't suppose Samk26 has figured out what happens if you don't have Mojo............

However,that would mean that with no Bluesfest, Samk26's mates could watch Ben Harper and Paul Kelly videos on their TV set instead,and would not have to put up with having to watch them looking unhappy at the no longer financially viable Bluesfest 2010.

Samk26 might also like to provide some data on which artists his friend Pan did see at Bluesfest 2009.

So far we know about the unhappy Luka Bloom and Paul Kelly.

But Mr Bindog disagrees with Samk26 and his friend Pan in regard to Luka Bloom.

As Mr Bindog knows more than Samk26 and Pan about music,that leaves only Paul Kelly......

Ok Samk26 can have Ben Harper as well[based on hearsay evidence]

Samk26 are you able to work out what percentage 2 divided by 112 is ?

In your opinion,is it statistically significant ?

samk26
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:01:36 PM

Thanks for the laugh Lone Ranger (and the weird picture of a guy with no shirt on??? WTF?? one from your hard drive collection?), but I think you're getting a bit carried away here ... who ever said get rid of Mojo or make BF for over 24's?? All im saying is the bigger Bf gets the more drunk bogan kids it'll attract. Take it back to Red Devil and make it smaller as it used to be. Smaller crowd, less bogans. - a shorter and sweeter lineup

Secondly, i've never met Pan and have no idea who he/she is? All i've seen is that you've hounded this person and shutdown every post they have put up... and the part about staying home to watch TV was actually a quote from you in regard to Pan saying there were no 'A' listers in the 'overcrowded' topic in 'general discussion'..

It is very amusing that you base your argument on how much musical knowledge someone has. My favourite line of yours is "As Mr Bindog knows more than Samk26 and Pan about music, that only leaves Paul Kelly"... Are you referring to artist knowledge or music theory?

I'm not sure you know alot about me or some of the other posters on here. You wouldn't have a clue what i do for a living but when it involves music every day, it usually means i'd have a fair amount of musical knowledge.

Anyway, who cares what people know and not know about music- that has nothing to do with this discussion and absolutely nothing to do with being a fan of music.

The whole point of this discussion was that Pan simply thought a few artists seemed unhappy. Fair enough- artists can be unhappy!!! I added that, yes i also heard some artists looked unhappy.... I think Pan was wondering why this was? He threw out some suggestions, i added to it. (discussion)

I'm not sure you read my post correctly LR, but i didnt actually stay to see Luka Bloom so i'm not sure how he was feeling on that particular day... you might have to consult Professor Bindog for that one.

On a final note, i didnt quite understand your question at the end.....did you mean: if 2 out of the 112 artists were unhappy does that make it insignificant?

Not sure if thats what you meant? Significant in terms of Bluesfest success? or worthy of discussion in this forum?? or worthy of even asking that question? I dunno, i don't care- i didnt start the topic, i just added to it. I don't care about anyones musical knowledge, or what band is 'wrong' or right..............

For the record Lone Ranger, by the sounds of it i'm pretty sure you and I saw most of the same acts.

izzy965
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:39:13 PM

I agree with you samk26, the lone deranger has to have the last word along with another person on here that adds stupid pictures to their forum discussion.
drwildare
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:05:11 PM

Who cares whether the Star's were unhappy or not. I think its more important that most of the Punters felt very let down and pissed off. OK I have only Been to 4 Bluesfests but this was the weakest line up in years. Lots of other punters were of the same opinion as me. Without us punters there wont be a bluesfest.

The Dr is in Da House
HowlinBindog
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:26:57 PM

drwildare wrote:
I think its more important that most of the Punters felt very let down and pissed off.

The Dr is in Da House

Unless you actually spoke to most of the punters at the fest, I dont know how you could possibly draw that conclusion

Approx 85 000 punters liked the lineup enough to stand in mud for 5 days.

I had a great time and most punters seemed to be having a fantastic time

I didn't see anybody who looked like they felt let down and were pissed off

Most of the people I saw were dancing, drinking, laughing and having a great time

Except Clapton. He looked pissed off that nobody turned up to his gig

;)
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:09:40 PM

samk26 wrote:
who ever said get rid of Mojo or make BF for over 24's?? All im saying is the bigger Bf gets the more drunk bogan kids it'll attract. Take it back to Red Devil and make it smaller as it used to be. Smaller crowd, less bogans. - a shorter and sweeter lineup

OK bro, I'm confused here. You seem to imply that taking BF to Red Devil would eliminate the "drunk bogan kids" problem, then in the next sentence you refer to " a shorter and sweeter lineup". Surely the venue is immaterial and what is attracting "drunk bogan kids" is the line-up? Dare I suggest that the series of ownership changes over the past few years directly resulted in the changes to the changes in lineup. This would suggest that only a change in management philosophy would take the festival back to what it was pre Chuggwheatcorp.

namaste
RR
c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:50:47 PM

Go back to Red Devil?no thanks felt like sardines in a can plus slippery embankments in the wet were hazardous.