Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Time to rename this festival? Options
ishtiaq
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 11:45:04 AM
Groups: Member

So I have a sick dog to nurse over the coming weeks, and it is with some sadness that I'm selling my 5 day early bird....

BUT...

It's not as hard and painful as it should be, not for me, in 2015.
Here's the thing:
Looking at the BF line-up this year, I'm coming to the sad acceptance that the time of the blues-loving baby-boomer (me) has come and gone at this festival. Sure there's Gary Clark Jr and Keb Mo, who give the BF organisers the ability to point fingers and say" But what about them?!"

What brought it home to me was looking at the banner images that go past on the web site. Hozier? Angus and Julia stone? Boy & Bear? Sure, wonderful songsters, they sound great when my daughter plays them on her ipod in the car, turning off ("Just for a moment , Dad!') my 2 volume Buddy Guy CD.
And that's my point.
How can you - with any honesty - call this a Bluesfest any more?
You've set out to capture a different demographic, so call it something else now. Here are some suggestions:

Big Days Out
Sorry, We Only Have 12 Bars of Soap
You want Blues? Go South, Old Man.
Rootsfest (...a good word, Roots. Always makes people feel earth/green/enviro-legit...)

...whatever...

...but a Bluesfest it ain't. That's just plain dishonesty.
Sigh.

Rashad
Maccain09
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 11:57:47 AM

Couldn't agree less...

However I wasn't the only one that felt left down that they festival didn't embrace the free dates in the great mans schedule - here he is showing us his versatility as a guitar player/ supreme blues musician, playing with the famous looking American country singer while staring alongside one of willie nelsons best mates and folk hero. Great movie and I'm sure every real blues/action fan has seen it at least twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJVEplkVHA&sns=em

Space5279
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 12:01:11 PM

ishtiaq wrote:
So I have a sick dog to nurse over the coming weeks, and it is with some sadness that I'm selling my 5 day early bird....

BUT...

It's not as hard and painful as it should be, not for me, in 2015.
Here's the thing:
Looking at the BF line-up this year, I'm coming to the sad acceptance that the time of the blues-loving baby-boomer (me) has come and gone at this festival. Sure there's Gary Clark Jr and Keb Mo, who give the BF organisers the ability to point fingers and say" But what about them?!"

What brought it home to me was looking at the banner images that go past on the web site. Hozier? Angus and Julia stone? Boy & Bear? Sure, wonderful songsters, they sound great when my daughter plays them on her ipod in the car, turning off ("Just for a moment , Dad!') my 2 volume Buddy Guy CD.
And that's my point.
How can you - with any honesty - call this a Bluesfest any more?
You've set out to capture a different demographic, so call it something else now. Here are some suggestions:

Big Days Out
Sorry, We Only Have 12 Bars of Soap
You want Blues? Go South, Old Man.
Rootsfest (...a good word, Roots. Always makes people feel earth/green/enviro-legit...)

...whatever...

...but a Bluesfest it ain't. That's just plain dishonesty.
Sigh.

Rashad

Hey man

Bad luck you can't come.

I hear your argument and I could argue against it with the likes of JJ Grey & Mofro; Super Chikan; Cool John Ferguson; Vasti Jackson; John Mayall; Black Keys; Keb Mo; Tony Joe White; Ash Grunwald; Jeff Lang; Phil Wiggins & Dom Turner; Gary Clark; James T; Genevieve Chadwick etc being able to give you more than an ample blues fix.

But the thing is, it's just a name. Bluesfest was the nickname for the East Coast Blues & Roots Festival and it sort of just became easier to say and eventually became official. Bluesfest is the right name for it and no matter what people think, I'm sure the Blues will still be the basis of the festival for time immemorial.

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
eileenk9
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 12:12:14 PM

Tyagarah Music Festival?

Hope your poor doggie gets better

timcook123
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 12:37:31 PM

It is a Blues and Roots Festival and anything that contains elements of either is what this festival is about I think.

Roots music can refer to several styles or trends in music:
Folk music
Americana (music), a musical style incorporating early blues, country, folk, rhythm and blues, and rock influences
Roots reggae
Roots revival, a trend which includes young performers popularizing the traditional musical styles of their ancestors
Traditional music, music transmitted as part of an oral culture
World music

Most of the artists I am familiar with in this years line up contain elements of several on these types of music

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
ishtiaq
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 12:42:25 PM

Deeper sigh...
@space5279 & eileenk9 : Thanks, friends. Those are understanding replies. Guess my doggie's woes are getting me down and blue. And grumpy... a prerogative of age and worry.
And yes, I did not mention Mayall 'cause that's a real source of pain. His Bluesbreakers were what guided me into the Blues ... (And that's when the album was just released :-)
anyway.. it's kind of theoretical now, and I guess I was just hoping to make a point that there will always be people who want to curl up on sidelines at Mojo and listen to that slow burning blues in the soft Byron night ....

Thanks Eileen - she is maybe on the mend - and just so you know her, look at the BF facebook photstream for my Jazzy in the BF cap. That's her.

cheers
R

Maccain09
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 1:19:16 PM

Jeeez I get no thanks for the great clip.. While you are enjoying the black keys free festival you can sit back with a box set of Segal movies - Jimmy Cliff appears in out for justice and seagal plays the drums on the main track John Crow.

Hope the dog gets better. No chocolate from the Easter eggs - choclate and dogs are a deadly combination.
ishtiaq
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 1:35:41 PM

:-))
no,no maccain09 ...just an oversight. (another age prerogative...umm..excuse...)

thanks for the clip. while i'll take a pass on the segal box set, it did make me see him in a new light

and yes, chocolate never on the agenda. - mind u, my golden of many years ago never missed cadging a choc treat and lived to 19. but....more aware now. (and Jazzy says "Darn!")
mpember
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:35:44 PM

For those lamenting the lack of blues in the current lineup, check out this announcement: http://www.ottawabluesfest.ca/
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:39:15 PM

mpember wrote:
For those lamenting the lack of blues in the current lineup, check out this announcement: http://www.ottawabluesfest.ca/

Iggy Azalea? Keith Urban? d'oh! They definitely need to rename THAT festival.

I'd probably go just to see Scott Weiland. Drool

steveakers
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:42:20 AM

While it hasn't ever been strictly Blues in the fifteen years I've been going, there does seem to be a lot of dross in the last few years. No doubt Bluesfest have done their homework and this is the way they want to head which is a pity because I would have thought generation X would be the next demographic to target after the boomers. Bands like Pixies and Primal Scream defy pigeonholing in to a category and would draw all ages, but sadly seem to be passed over for whatever sludge they are playing on JJJ these days. This is fine by me, I just avoid the Mojo tent by and large and stick with the grownups music in the other tents.
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:03:58 AM

steveakers wrote:
While it hasn't ever been strictly Blues in the fifteen years I've been going, there does seem to be a lot of dross in the last few years. No doubt Bluesfest have done their homework and this is the way they want to head which is a pity because I would have thought generation X would be the next demographic to target after the boomers. Bands like Pixies and Primal Scream defy pigeonholing in to a category and would draw all ages, but sadly seem to be passed over for whatever sludge they are playing on JJJ these days. This is fine by me, I just avoid the Mojo tent by and large and stick with the grownups music in the other tents.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

By avoiding the mojo this year your probably going to miss a lot of great music. But hey don't listen to me I'm young I might get young person germs on you. Stay happy in your "demographic box/prison" have a great half fest!

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
pod2006
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:29:16 AM

what with all the ha haha haha's and half festers, and the closeness of next week's pagan blues festival and full moon, I think this old dude is catching young people's germs... or may be just stung by the similarity between eric the half bee and the last post:

A one... two-- A one... two... three... four...
Half a bee, philosophically,
Must, ipso facto, half not be.
But half the bee has got to be
Vis a vis, its entity. D'you see?

But can a bee be said to be
Or not to be an entire bee
When half the bee is not a bee
Due to some ancient injury?

Singing...

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:57:39 AM

steveakers wrote:
I just avoid the Mojo tent by and large and stick with the grownups music in the other tents.

You are in a timewarp.
The tents are not structured as they were 10 or 15 years ago.
For example,acts like Hunter Hayes,David Gray,Angus & Julia Stone,Boy & Bear,Hozier,Augie March,Skipping Girl Vinegar,Michael Franti,The Beautiful Girls,would have played in Mojo.
Now they occupy Crossroads.
For example,G Love & Special Sauce & Donoavon Frankenreiter have moved from Mojo to Jambalaya.
I will be spending more time in Mojo than ever before.That is because what used to be in the other tents,has gone.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:15:51 AM

Jambalaya is always my first tent of choice.

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
bambambam
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:39:03 PM

Last year my favourite tent was Cavanbah,
The year before that it was the Lotus.

I like tents that no longer exist.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
psulli12
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:57:06 PM

steveakers wrote:
While it hasn't ever been strictly Blues in the fifteen years I've been going , I would have thought generation X would be the next demographic to target after the boomers. Bands like Pixies and Primal Scream defy pigeonholing in to a category and would draw all ages, but sadly seem to be passed over

I do agree that there are large number of bands that defy pigeon holing that would pack out tents at bluesfest.
It can still be a blues festival at heart, but having one or two sets from bands that don't really fit the mould is always a great surprise.
I thought it about My Morning Jacket, Gogol Bordello, Dropkick Murphys. (I realise these bands are gen Y, but it is the same idea)

Would love to see some more Gen Xers Primal Scream, The Pixies, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Replacements, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, Gang Of Four, The Stranglers, The Buzzcocks, Johnny Marr.

there are a lot of Gen Y bands that could slot in too. Bands who started in the mid 90s like Modest Mouse and Beck.
Ive actually been expecting The Polyphonic Spree to be announced every year for the last 7 years haha.
steveakers
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:38:09 PM

I appear to have hijacked this thread that wasn't my intention, sorry about that. Returning to the original question, the festival was originaly called the Byron Bay Blues Festival, or some variation on that theme. The "East Coast" bit only turned up about ten years later. It might have been originally Blues, or pretty much so but it would only have been viable as a Blues festival if it had stayed on the pig farm where it started. The festival has had various promoters over the years and almost folded in the late 90's but booking Ben Harper at the right time pretty much turned it's fortunes around. Ever since then Bluesfest has been diversifying and it has worked. To say it is a Blues festival would be a misnomer, but by the same token there is far more Blues at Bluesfest now than when it first started. You could go to this festival and see nothing but Blues acts and still fill a fair chunk of each day, the sheer size of it now guarantees that. You could also say the same for Jazz, Funk, Soul, Hip Hop, Country, whatever floats your boat. It is this diversification that has made Bluesfest successful. Something for everyone. As for my comments about the amount of chaff filling in the program, Bluesfest book whatever is popular. If Giggle and Hoot sold tickets then Bluesfest would book Giggle and Hoot. This is not a bad thing, it's the popular bands that sell tickets and the money raised is used in part to bring more obscure artists like Cool John Ferguson to Bluesfest. I can't see all the bands i want to now, so it really does not bother me if Bluesfest fill the gaps with the tuneless sludge of all the Mumford and clones/Llittle birdies that JJJ makes popular these days. Perhaps the first band to sound like this was fresh, innovative and original but the last hundred or so i have heard
just sound tired. At the risk of getting off the subject again for thirty years Australia's youth radio network was run by young people, for young people and played an enormously important role in getting new music out to Australia's youth. Then about ten years ago a musically challenged dinosaur older than myself came along and single handedly destroyed it. My point is that one
man with about as much imagination as a bag of cement and twenty years past his use by date is shaping the musical tastes of the next generation of Australians, and that can't be good for Bluesfest.
waffles
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 8:03:53 AM

the poster on my wall states....THE FIRST EAST COAST ANNUAL BLUES FESTIVAL...1990.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
steveakers
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 7:07:50 AM

waffles wrote:
the poster on my wall states....THE FIRST EAST COAST ANNUAL BLUES FESTIVAL...1990.

Sorry, my bad. I still think "Bluesfest" rolls off the tongue more easily than the pop rock punk country reggae blues jazz funk hip hop gospel soul padded out with a lot of pseudo-folk sludge festival which while technically more accurate isn't as catchy don't you think?