Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Womadelaide Options
repete
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 12:08:06 AM
Groups: Member

Just returned home, via Kangaroo Island, from Womadelaide. I had a really good feeling this was going to be a great fest when we discovered a pop up creole restaurant on East Terrace the day before the fest started, sitting back drinking sazeracs and eating the best creole food I have eaten outside of Louisiana. Womadelaide itself was an absolutely wonderful festival experience on so many different levels. I'll try to keep it to the music, although it has to be said the site is truly magnificent, the beer and wine speak for themselves, and also no sniffer dogs and no dickheads. The coffee was perfect and the food about the best I have had at any fest.

Renewed acquaintances with Charlie Musselwhite and Bombino (both great sets), Toumani Diabate and his son Sidiki who played traditional griot music 700 years old (!!) and the final incarnation of Buena Vista Social Club on their farewell tour. I loved the Romanian gypsy brass band Fanfare Ciocarlia, the indescribable Korean band Jambinai (well, how do you describe traditional Korean/post industrial thrash metal??), and the bits and pieces I caught of Sharon Van Etten, Palestinian Ramzi Aburewan, Balkan Beat Box, First Aid Kit, CW Stoneking and the Tjintu Desert Band. Abdullah Ibrahim's jazz set was sublime and Lake Street Dive was as good as I was expecting.

My stand out favourites were:

Jupiter and Okwess International - straight out of Kinshasa, Congo, they were the only band I saw both sets. Should be seriously considered for bluesfest 2016. I have their CD Hotel Univers on constant rotation.
Neneh Cherry - demonstrated her genius in a brilliant set - btw her new album is some of the best new music I have heard in a while.
Youssou N'dour - at last I have seen this giant of African music. Wonderful performance with a 12 piece band (including an appearance by Neneh Cherry for Seven Seconds).
Sinead - really, words don't do justice to her amazing set - completely blew me away.

The truly delightful surprises:

Depedro - Spanish band led by Jairo Zavala, a really accomplished musician who I've seen perform a couple of times with Calexico.
Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino - southern Italian band whose songs and musicianship left me gobsmacked (when I went to find their CD after their set it had sold out already and the line for the signing was about 150m long, I kid you not).

First time for me and definitely not the last time. I couldn't recommend this festival more highly.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:16:08 AM

Spoke to a mate that went again this year.
They were very impressed with both sinead & CW Stoneking among others.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:43:26 AM

[quote=repete]Just returned home, via Kangaroo Island, from Womadelaide. I had a really good feeling this was going to be a great fest when we discovered a pop up creole restaurant on East Terrace the day before the fest started, sitting back drinking sazeracs and eating the best creole food I have eaten outside of Louisiana. Womadelaide itself was an absolutely wonderful festival experience on so many different levels. I'll try to keep it to the music, although it has to be said the site is truly magnificent, the beer and wine speak for themselves, and also no sniffer dogs and no dickheads. The coffee was perfect and the food about the best I have had at any fest.

Renewed acquaintances with Charlie Musselwhite and Bombino (both great sets), Toumani Diabate and his son Sidiki who played traditional griot music 700 years old (!!) and the final incarnation of Buena Vista Social Club on their farewell tour. I loved the Romanian gypsy brass band Fanfare Ciocarlia, the indescribable Korean band Jambinai (well, how do you describe traditional Korean/post industrial thrash metal??), and the bits and pieces I caught of Sharon Van Etten, Palestinian Ramzi Aburewan, Balkan Beat Box, First Aid Kit, CW Stoneking and the Tjintu Desert Band. Abdullah Ibrahim's jazz set was sublime and Lake Street Dive was as good as I was expecting.

My stand out favourites were:

Jupiter and Okwess International - straight out of Kinshasa, Congo, they were the only band I saw both sets. Should be seriously considered for bluesfest 2016. I have their CD Hotel Univers on constant rotation.
Neneh Cherry - demonstrated her genius in a brilliant set - btw her new album is some of the best new music I have heard in a while.
Youssou N'dour - at last I have seen this giant of African music. Wonderful performance with a 12 piece band (including an appearance by Neneh Cherry for Seven Seconds).
Sinead - really, words don't do justice to her amazing set - completely blew me away.

The truly delightful surprises:

Depedro - Spanish band led by Jairo Zavala, a really accomplished musician who I've seen perform a couple of times with Calexico.
Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino - southern Italian band whose songs and musicianship left me gobsmacked (when I went to find their CD after their set it had sold out already and the line for the signing was about 150m long, I kid you not).

First time for me and definitely not the last time. I couldn't recommend this festival more highly.

[/quote

Sounds amazing! I will hopefully be spending my easter holiday money on the Womadelaide next year.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:41:42 AM

Great review.
Might look into going- never been.

When they go low-we go high.
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 8:23:45 AM

I went about 6 years ago and do need to go again. Truly a great festival and the site is wonderful. The most chilled out festival that I've attended.

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."