Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Greetings From New Orleans Options
repete
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:19:36 AM
Groups: Member

Just completed 3 wonderful days of the French Quarter Fest and have a few days recovery before jazzfest starts. Saw some great performances with the standouts being Lost Bayou Ramblers, Big Sam's Funky Nation, Trombone Shorty and a wonderful performance of traditional New Orleans jazz by Irvin Mayfield (including the best ever version of St James Infirmary I have ever heard, recorded or live). I would highly recommend Big Sam and Trombone Shorty for bluesfest - they'd blast the tent down!!

Before this, spent a week out in Southern Louisiana, on the swamps and bayous, in small towns and catching some amazing cajun and zydeco music in old cajun dancehalls and crowded zydeco juke joints (including the amazing Richard's on the Lawtell/Opelousas road and now known as the Zydeco Hall of Fame). Seeing Geno Delafose at Whiskey River in a venue over a bayou as the rain poured down was a magical experience! And Corey "L'il Pop" Ledet in Breaux Bridge played a soulful mix of cajun and zydeco in a fantastic night of dancin', drinkin' and conversation. Only downside is I've gotta learn the cajun/zydeco two-step!

New Orleans is just so funky right now ...there's live music everywhere, coming out of clubs, bars, on the streets and outta people's houses. Can't wait for jazzfest and all the in between and late night club shows (including the Blind Boys with Henry Butler, Charlie Musselwhite and the Dirty Dozen at Tipitina's next Sunday night). More reprots when I get back.

Glad to hear that bluesfest was a blast...shame about the weather, but who notices when the music is hot! Also really happy to hear that y'all liked Sonny Landreth! I'll be catching him at a show soon.....cheers!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
finleym
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:57:07 PM

Fantastic list repete. Trombone Shorty and Big Sam's Funky Nation would certainly bring some much needed dancing to 2010. Enjoy.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
repete
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:17:57 AM

I can't even begin to describe how it's all going down here. My poor addled brain just can't take any more of these 4 am crashes. But just for a taste - after a great day at fest yesterday (highlighted by a totally knocked out set by Terence Blanchard), we went to Tipitina's for the Blind Boys, Henry Butler, Charlie Musselwhite and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Oh what a show! But of course, this is New Orleans and things were only just starting to warm up. A few people were saying get over to the Maple Leaf, so we hightailed over and there was Henry Butler, funking it in an amaaaazing performance. He let go of all the restraints of earlier in the evening and let it rip. There was not a still body in the place.

Another great night show was Kenny Bill Stinson and CC Adcock at Le Bon Temps Rouler, attended also by our very own Sharleen! A great night of loose and greasy southern rock 'n roll. CC has almost completed a new cd, so get on the phone now Peter and book him and the boys for next year's fest.

Oh....Johnny Winter was fantastic at jazzfest. The audience rose as one in the blues tent and went absolutely nuts when he came on stage. Absolutely killer version of Highway 61. But forget him touring Australia - his health is stuffed and I seriously doubt he could handle a long flight. John Mooney was also fantastic and an extra bonus was the appearance by Uganda Roberts on percussion. Roy Rogers was also great (and Marcia Ball came up on stage) and of course Sonny Landreth played a killer set. The highlight so far, though, was Wynton Marsalis' 2 1/2 performance of his masterpice, Congo Square at the Congo Square stage. There were 27 musicians on stage as Wynton set out to demonstrate the direct link between African music and jazz (contrary to the popular view that jazz developed out of the blues - it didn't).

Piano night tonight and the Ponderosa Stomp tomorrow and then fest starts all over again on Thursday.

New Orleans is undergoing a renaissance right now - it's just incredible to witness. Expect some amazing things to come out of this city over the next decade.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
repete
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 1:04:12 PM

The second weekend of jazzfest just took the music to a higher level than any other music event I have witnessed. A few (quite a few!) highlights were (with apologies to all the other shows I witnessed - there's no such thing as a dud act at jazzfest!!):

Glen David Andrews' performance on Friday May 1 in the gospel tent. I generally expect a rollicking good time in the gospel tent, but nothing prepared me for this. With a brass band backing (including his brother Trombone Shorty) this was my highlight of the entire festival. Festival producer, Quint Davis, came onstage and basically annointed him as the future of the festival - it was pure, riotous, screaming foot-stomping joy.

Steve Riley - another fantastic performance from this great cajun band, with a guest appearance by Clifton Chenier's great niece on frottoir (and the original instrument made by Clifton at a steel mill). Again I repeat, there has never been a cajun band appear in the history of bluesfest and it would be great if any one of at least half a dozen brilliant cajun bands was invited to play.

Esperanza Spalding - 23 yo double bass player, she completely mesmerised the jazz tent with a jaw dropping performance. Completely at one with her instrument. All of hr cd's were sold out in the entire city after this show. Move over Victor Wooton, here is the future of bass playing!!

John Scofield and the Piety Street Band. Master guitarist, with a band to die for (Jon Cleary, George Porter Jr, Ricky Fataar, John Boutte), this performance left the blues audience tent gob-smacked (when they weren't up on their feet and shaking their arses!). Normally regarded as a jazz player, but totally unrestrained by conventions, Scofield gave us an incredible bluesy romp through some classic old gospel numbers. And Cleary even played guitar on one song!!

Cedric Watson and Bijou Creole - young fiddle player channeling the spirit of the legendary Canray Fontenot, here is the future of cajun/creole music. Took us on a musical journey way way back to the old creole La La music and right up to the present. Cedric also plays accordian but can whip up a dance storm on eother instrument. As much as I love Terrance Simien, it is about time bluesfest organisers gave audiences a much broader taste of the really exciting things happening in cajun and zydeco music right now.

Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra - omg what a performance from yet another great New Orleans trumpet player, composer and arranger. And his band is fantastic, including the amaaazing Professor of jazz, Ed 'Sweetbread" Petersen on tenor sax who played a solo that had people out of their seats and jumping up and down, dancin' and hollering! I love jazz in New Orleans and rediscover the unrestrained joy of this music, which is theirs (and completely unfettered by the puerile opinions of some of the anally retentive killjoy jazz critics in this country!!). I have been so lucky to have seen the three greatest horn players on the planet all playing at the one event - Wynton Marsalis, Terrance Blanchard and Irvin Mayfield.

The Midnite Disturbers - combining members of Galactic with some of the hottest young brass players in New Orleans (Big Sam Williams, Shamarr Allen, Trombone Shorty and others) for a funked out brass stomp for all the refugees from the stages where Kings of Leon and Bon Jovi (why oh why??? - puke) were playing.

Allen Toussaint - what can you say about the master? A musician, composer and producer whose feet Paul McCartney should kiss. he wrote a song esecially for this 40th anniversary jazzfest which was nothing short of fantastic, then took as for a walk through all his amazing hits. Sadly, he's unlikely to ever appear in this country, so it was a rare privilege to finally see him perform his own set.

Neil Young - brought on a storm (literally) with an incendiary performance, highlighted by an 18 minute gut wrenching version of Down by the River. As the storm approached the winds whipped up (I'm telling y'all, it was spooky!!) which played havoc with the sound on the quieter acoustic songs (although Heart of Gold was just perfect), but when he amped it up, no problems at all. His Day in the Life encore easily outshone the version he presented at his Melbourne music bowl show - it sent shivers down my spine.

Neville Brothers - the heavens opened after Neil's set, but it was all over by the time the neville's came out to close the festival, making for a swampy, funky vibe. Really tight set and closed with Aaron Neville singing Amazing Grace.

Allen Toussaint, Neil Young and the Nevilles were on one after the other - unbelievable.

And so the greatest music festival on the planet closed. Monday last week, New Orleans slept...there was barely a soul on the streets ...... Hopefully I'll return again one day and reacquaint myself with this incredibly creative city and the wonderful people who live there.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
greybeard
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 4:58:42 PM

Comprehensive and envy inducing posts pete
Always a good read
Don't bring back any Mexican flu, yo hear.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
lovemusic
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 5:58:51 PM

wow how fantastic i am very envious trying to talk husband into going to other festivaals around the world thank you for your posts
c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 8:43:06 PM
Groups: Guest

Dont forget to bring us all a souvenir
A t shirt would be good & i'm pretty sure these would be at bargain prices at the moment
BuWho2
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:18:15 PM

Brilliant posting Pete, leaving me with a burning desire to finally save the money needed for Jazzfest as always. Cheers...
jafa99
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:29:06 AM

This is not as good as pete's review, but here's a Jazzfest review from my local rag
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10580841&pnum=0
repete
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 6:33:34 PM

jafa99 wrote:
This is not as good as pete's review, but here's a Jazzfest review from my local rag
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10580841&pnum=0

Thanks for the link Bob. Just goes to show how easy it is for 2 people to attend the same event and see completely different artists and yet pretty much come away with similar impressions. But the really funny thing is we spent a few days hanging out with Paul, including catching L'il Freddie King at d.b.a. one night. And are you familiar with his band's (The De Sotos) cd??

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
jafa99
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:25:09 PM

repete wrote:
the really funny thing is we spent a few days hanging out with Paul, including catching L'il Freddie King at d.b.a. one night. And are you familiar with his band's (The De Sotos) cd??

Cool. No, haven't heard the cd. Nor seen them live.
curlyloc
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:47:42 AM

Thanks for the descriptors, much appreciated.

As you may know from a previous thread - me, husband, brother n sis-in-law looking at going to a music fest o/s next year. Can you tell me:
- whats the set up? Ie, cover price gets you into all the gigs? Where are gigs held?
- can you get reasonably priced accom close to the action?
- are most acts American or is there a world flavour?
- what are the main styles of music?
- what are the crowd numbers?
- how did Bon Jovi get a gig?!

Thanks muchly for any advice

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
repete
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:01:59 PM

curlyloc wrote:
Thanks for the descriptors, much appreciated.

As you may know from a previous thread - me, husband, brother n sis-in-law looking at going to a music fest o/s next year. Can you tell me:
- whats the set up? Ie, cover price gets you into all the gigs? Where are gigs held?
- can you get reasonably priced accom close to the action?
- are most acts American or is there a world flavour?
- what are the main styles of music?
- what are the crowd numbers?
- how did Bon Jovi get a gig?!

Thanks muchly for any advice

To your last question first - I'd love to know too! Ruffled a few feathers amongst jazzfest lovers, but the day they played, I didn't even know they were there, except for the bigger crowds (the review in the local paper of their show was hilarious!!). Most of the music (85%) is New Orleans/Louisiana based which means jazz, gospel, blues, funk, brassbands, mardi gras indian, cajun, zydeco, swamp pop, R 'n B (real r'n b) and even some R&R. On top of that, there will usually be some country, bluegrass and some African artists as well as a number of big names acts - this year included Neil Young, Joe Cocker, DMB, Wilco, Kings of Leon, Wynton Marsalis, Earth Wind and Fire, Etta James, Johnny Winter, James Taylor, Tony Bennett, Emmylou Harris and a whole lot of others. I personally prefer the local music.

You can buy your tickets each day at the gates (it never sells out even when crowds are huge), but it's probably better to pre-purchase through Ticketmaster and pick your tickets up on the first day at the "will call" tent. Or buy a brass pass through wwoz community radio. The festival is held at a horse racetrack/fairgrounds, so is huge and encompasses 11 stages, plus lots of food and art/clothing stalls. There are secondline and mardi gras indian parades throughout each day, winding through the crowds in the fairgrounds. It can get crowded if there's a really big name artist (say 100,000) but I've never found it uncomfortably crowded and the crowds are spread around so many stages. the main stage could hold up to 80/90k ...? I reckon there was close to 60k for Neil Young. But other stageds may only have a few hundred too.

The fest only goes to 7.00pm each day, unlike Byron. But unlike Byron, this is New Orleans and during jazzfest the clubs are open until the sunrises and some of the best acts you'll ever see won't come on until 1.00 am! You won't believe who'll be in town or who'll pop up somewhere to sit in with someone else - and it's all really high quality. Clubs are everywhere. last time I was there I hung out in Frenchmen Street but this time quite a few of the clubs there had closed, so I went to other places. And you absolutely must go to Tipitinas, the Maple Leaf and the Rock 'n Bowl) - they are legendary places and the artists who play there are just superb.

You need to think of the festival as encompassing the entire city, not just during the day at the fairgrounds. There is music on all the time throughout the whole city. Oh, and the street music alone is worth going to see. Cover charges are very reasonable, and hey, the best club show I saw had no cover - Henry Butler funking it out at 3 am with Trombone Shorty at the Maple Leaf!

Prices for accommodation are expensive during fest, but if you want to take the risk, you could get a hotel bargain through priceline during January and February. Don't stay in the Quarter, it's expensive and whilst gorgeous, it gets a bit touristy - look around Marigny. If you all want to stay together, think about booking soonish. The B&B's are fantastic but will cost a little more than hotels. Try the Balcony Guesthouse - it will give you a real New Orleans experience. Bit away from the action, but in a gorgeous part of town (Bywater end of Marigny) amongst creole cottages, many of which have been renovated over the past 2 years. Not giving you the name of where we stayed this year...lol!! Anyway, it's already booked out for next year! This is a city to walk in, and if it's late at night, just take a taxi...nowhere is far and the fares are reasonable.

Go to the website...www.nojazfest.com for info and look through the posts in the chatrrom - heaps of info. Anyway, feel free to ask more questions if you're seriously thinking of going :-)

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
curlyloc
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:13:08 PM

Wow - it sounds AMAZING!

Thanks for all the tips - we will do some more research....Looks like we have ruled out SxSW and the contenders are Hardly Strictly Bluegrass and Norleans.

PS And we have already booked our flights and accom (geez I hope its at Tyagarah) for BF2010....thats for the other Pete to know we are not diverting $ away from his festival!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
pnoble
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:57:18 PM
Groups: Administration

Bon Jovi were reportedly pais US$1 mill to play - they drew a lot of people - meant a lot of money to Jazzfest to pay for all the other stuff - that's how fests work who present the other side
In the end means a better fest for all.
did anyone see Ben Harper at Jazzfest ?
Solomon Burke ?
If so, what did you think ?
Best artist for me was Mississippi Mass Gospel choir - however I am biased as I can sit in Gospel tent all day and never leave- it is just SO different from what we ever see in Australia.Might even get saved - again, ang again - but as I tend toward Budhhism it is a bit like being reincarnated again and again - apologies to Jesus - sorry had a few wines before posting
rosie Ledet was hot as - both music and well she is a serious looker too.

also though rosie ledet - who is hot, hot, was also delivering hot, hot Zydeco.

repete
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:18:26 PM

pnoble wrote:
Bon Jovi were reportedly pais US$1 mill to play - they drew a lot of people - meant a lot of money to Jazzfest to pay for all the other stuff - that's how fests work who present the other side
Solomon Burke ?
Best artist for me was Mississippi Mass Gospel choir - however I am biased as I can sit in Gospel tent all day and never leave- it is just SO different from what we ever see in Australia.Might even get saved - again, ang again - but as I tend toward Budhhism it is a bit like being reincarnated again and again - apologies to Jesus - sorry had a few wines before posting

Didn't get to see Ben or Solomon...choices, choices.

And I suppose also to be fair to Bon Jovi, they contributed $1mil to hurricane relief (mainly around Houma).

Heard some fantastic reports about the Mississippi Mass Gospel Choir so this is yet another confirmation. The Johnson Extension were also another great gospel act - the young woman lead singer was sensational. Of the two jazzfests I've been to, my three favorite acts have all been gospel. Glad you liked Rosie - can you believe she's gonna be a grandma??? Now if you can convince her to head down here next easter, I would be one very happy little vegemite :-)

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Sharleen7
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 10:47:37 AM

pnoble wrote:
did anyone see Ben Harper at Jazzfest ? Solomon Burke ? If so, what did you think ?

We missed Ben's set as he and Solomon were on at the same time. Even though we've seen Solomon every time he's played at Byron, we were keen to see him again. Solomon was royally resplendent in a sparkling purple 3 piece suit and sang his heart out as always. His band which included various family members were at the top of their form, too. He told us that his 21 children had gifted him with 99 grandchildren!!! He said in regard to his boudior activities, "I may be retired but they're still working!" Solomon may be somewhat disabled by his size - he still performs from a wheelchair - but his voice is as strong as ever and for the most part, the set was very enjoyable. There was a couple of moments when sound bleed from other stages interfered and Solomon remarked, "Someone's got their radio turned up too loud! Can we get them to turn that noise off?!?" Other than that momentary irritation, it was a stellar set and Solomon was glowing in the rays of the late afternoon sun.

As a side note, seeing Solomon turned out to be the best choice for us that day as they had a sign language interpreter signing the lyrics on one side of the stage and my deaf son had come with us to Jazzfest for the first time, so he got the full experience!

Later on in the set Solomon invited a very special friend up to sing a couple of songs with him: one of the founding members of the Blind Boys of Alabama, Clarence Fountain. Clarence does not tour with the Blind Boys much these days as his health is not the best. (Did he perform with them at Tipitina's, Pete?) He did seem a little shaky and was struggling a bit to sing his lines, but nevertheless it was great to see him up on the stage. However he does have a new album coming out in August:

Quote:
ONE Entertainment System Unlimited presents Clarence Fountain, of the Blind Boys of Alabama, featuring Sam Butler, Jr. The NEW CD, "Stepping Up And Stepping Out", is set for a release date of August 25th in 2009. Produced by Jim Tullio (Mavis Staples, Los Lonely Boys), Sam Butler, Jr., and Clarence Fountain, this new album features special guest, Donald Fagan of Steely Dan.

Here are some of the pictures we took while in New Orleans, including one of Solomon & Clarence:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nancytrattler/USAHolidayNewOrleans

EXCESS in Moderation
finleym
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:52:43 PM

pnoble wrote:
Solomon Burke ?

Any possibility of bringing a bit more gospel? Or is Easter a bad time of year to be bringing those acts out?

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
revjimk
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:06:43 AM

Repete
You said, "Only downside is I've gotta learn the cajun/zydeco two-step!"
Not a downside, a wonderful opportunity!!!!!
I started learning in 1994, changed my life.
I live in the USA, not sure about Australia, but here the women dancers outnumber the guys... not sure about lessons down under either, but I think there are a few dancers... Google it?
revjim
pnoble
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:48:55 PM
Groups: Administration

worst problem I had in Nawlins at Jazzfest was 'too much fun',....... after partying on saturday night second weekend - caught Michael Franti doing his anual free show in 9th ward for Katrina volunteers-it is STILL pretty messed up..... - then went out most of the night , got to my hotel at 1am - decided to have a last drink at bar -BIG MISTAKE- who were those guys 'sfrom florida ?- At least the croupier at Harrah's casino where they left me - was wise enough to tell me to go home after I started eating the chips asking at the same time where's the fish and barbie sauce, still can't quite figure out how I got pick pocketed - when I didn't have any money- shhh don't tell the wife - ANYWAY, managed to fly to New York that day to see pete seeger 90th birthday concert at Madison square feat springsteen/Matthews/ cougar Mellencamp/Harper/Mahal and a cast of thousands - thought I would take a quick nap in hotel room before going to sleep off previous nights hangover - slept right through concert !!!
not happy
- guess what - turned 60 last weekend - and someone who did not even know I was (almost) there - gave me framed poster of concert - cue in theme from twilight zone
if you want any more of the truly weird and bizarre adventures of Peter Noble, as he travels the world finding the truly stange and brilliant mad men and women to entice to Byron Bay - just stay tuned.- or ask about 'the bar with no name' in Sausalito incident which followed on other coast right after NYC - which was right after NOLA- which is almost next (cut back to NYC)- after the Dave Matthews what r u doing standing under an umbrella in the rain in Bryant Park (New York) incident and why do you want to meet me there- or .....Taj Mahal - what WERE we doing all day in Sak's Fifth Ave - and when will we ever find Ned Sublette ? Or - when will glenn Shorrock's guitar player stop serenading me and my beautiful other (and very patient) half in my bedroom last weekend - it's 9.30am already - your plane is leaving soon - I still wonder if he made it???
should I start another thread ?