Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Beck and Festival setlists Options
psulli12
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 10:37:29 AM
Groups: Member

Interesting talk with Beck from 2012 when he was out here for Harvest festival (his set was amazing).
He says about setlists:

"I don't really have any allusions that people are coming to hear something they've never heard, I think they are coming to hear things they know and I'm happy to play that for them.
As far as artistic muse and exploring new ground, I can do that in my studio at my house all day long and amuse myself"

Brings to mind Counting Crows incredibly self indulgent set from 2013. I'm still surprised they have been invited back.
I did notice they released a new album last year so anyone going to watch them should look forward to hearing that latest album in full.

Beck as the Friday night main stage headliner for 2016 please.

You can listen to the interview here:
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/thedoctor/blog/s3633831.htm
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 10:48:27 AM

Over the years I have attended Bluesfest,I have seen far more sets from artists where I have never heard any of their music,than artists who I have heard some of their music.
Artists I have watched where I know all of the songs would be tiny
I think he is referring to concerts where Joe Public attends,who has little interest in new songs,and complains when all of the greatest hits are not performed.
Such people would attend a festival as day trippers,to cherry pick acts.l

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Flegal08
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 2:12:17 PM

I must admit to waiting for Counting Crows to start, after 20 minutes I headed off to see another act.
Not on my must see list this year, however I acknowledge that others will be in the tent and enjoying their brand of music.

Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 9:17:37 PM

psulli12 wrote:

Brings to mind Counting Crows incredibly self indulgent set from 2013. I'm still surprised they have been invited back.
I did notice they released a new album last year so anyone going to watch them should look forward to hearing that latest album in full.

Totally agree. I get the feeling, Counting Crows aren't a festival type band. I think they play for themselves and their absolute die hard fans.

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
ryangb
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 9:36:51 PM

I will miss Counting Crows at the festival but am seeing them a week later in Sydney. Their new album is very good
richo
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 11:00:07 PM

Granted I loved Beck at Harvest a few years ago, and Counting Crows didn't do it for me personally at Bluesfest, but give me an artist who challenges their audience and keeps things interesting for themselves as musicians over a band that regurgitates the same greatest hits show after show, year after year.

In my experience, self-indulgent tends to be a term lobbed at bands that didn't play what "I" wanted them to play.

There's artists I deeply respect like Paul Kelly that I just won't bother with at a festival anymore because it's been the same cheesy show for about a decade now. In other settings he's great, but the festival Paul Kelly is no longer a drawcard for me.