Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Pacific Highway Options
nocheesegromit
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 9:26:39 PM
Groups: Member

Wondering what the state of Pacific Highway is at the moment. Have the roadworks finished?
I stay out at Lismore and drive up Bangalow Road and join up to the Highway. Last year I got caught a couple of times in some traffic queues and missed some acts I had wanted to see. 12 months on I hope the works are finished and the drive in will be smoother.
Thanks
davidabrown
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 9:36:21 PM

I was in the area last week, looked the same as it did 12 months ago.

You can never have too much Steel Guitar!
mpember
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 9:43:50 PM

nocheesegromit wrote:
12 months on I hope the works are finished and the drive in will be smoother.

If you are camping on site, then the best thing to do is plan to arrive early. If you are expecting to drive in each day, then plan to arrive early. All councils plan road works during school holidays. It is a golden rule.
zyfert
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 6:44:26 AM

nocheesegromit wrote:
Wondering what the state of Pacific Highway is at the moment. Have the roadworks finished?
I stay out at Lismore and drive up Bangalow Road and join up to the Highway. Last year I got caught a couple of times in some traffic queues and missed some acts I had wanted to see. 12 months on I hope the works are finished and the drive in will be smoother.
Thanks

No not finished, if anything there is probably more than last year further south.
For you coming in from Bangalow, it will be the same as last year.
They are still working on the tunnel and stretch between Byron and Tintenbar.
Best,
waffles
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 8:04:03 AM

the highway tunnel and works south of byron wont be finished till june/july, so there will be a lot of traffic holdups around saint helena...the big hill.
if you are coming from lismore i suggest you turn off at binna burra and follow friday hut road all the way to coorabell,then left and out along the ridge to the back of mullumbimby,then through to the highway right at bluesfest.
its longer but ends up being quicker.
each easter there has been an accident on saint helena hill which holds up traffic for hours.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
nocheesegromit
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 9:55:24 AM

Thanks all. I'll look into that route Waffles, thanks for the tip.
Flegal08
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 12:15:04 PM

It toot us 2.5 hours from Ballina, on the Thursday last year, every other day was fine, just people on the move on the Thursday.
We will not make the same mistake this year.
Brettjack
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 8:41:13 PM

My solution is to not stay on the south side of the festival. We haven't done that since Red Devil Park. It's an even better option now the festival is at Tyagarah. It's much more relaxing staying away from the rat race of Byron anyway. We stay at South Golden Beach - a 15min shuttle bus ride north. Not far from the fabulous Bruns pub, too. Can't beat it!

There is no "good" or "bad" music - there is just music.
Live and let live!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 10:44:20 PM

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/15-million-money-maker-nsw-government-ensures-you-/2157576/
Two speeding tickets have recently arrived.
One from Qld & One from NSW.
Next visit to Au I will print off a copy of speed camera sites.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 9:25:40 PM

Oh Ranger
From Lawman to outlaw

Click Here

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Jaylee1
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 8:26:15 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/15-million-money-maker-nsw-government-ensures-you-/2157576/
Two speeding tickets have recently arrived.
One from Qld & One from NSW.
Next visit to Au I will print off a copy of speed camera sites.

Do the crime, then do the time as the saying goes.

Fixed speed camera sites are well sign posted

the mobile units are more difficult to spot, but if you're not speeding, then it's not problem

JT
mpember
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 11:20:06 AM

Jaylee1 wrote:
if you're not speeding, then it's not problem

greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 1:32:25 PM

Agree Ranger there are too many speed zone changes.
I think it is safer to drive, at times a few Ks over the limit, and look at the road, conditions and possible hazards,
than constantly look for signs ( where no hazards are) and down the dash to check speedo readings.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Flegal08
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 5:01:00 PM

Had the joy of driving from Canverra to Wagga a few months back.
Canberra has the most variable speed limits in the world (seemed like anyway)
It was so confusing I think everyone drives at 60klms to be on the safe side.
Cameras everywhere, when you get on the highway you go from 100 to 80 for the fixed cameras the back to 100 go figure.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 8:42:44 PM

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/69031066/Australian-man-fined-for-travelling-at-speed-limit
Police State

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
mpember
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 11:11:14 PM

greybeard wrote:

I think it is safer to drive, at times a few Ks over the limit, and look at the road, conditions and possible hazards

Unless the NSW/QLD system differs from the Victorian system, there are a few key details that most people ignore when complaining about speeding cameras.

Firstly, the speedometer on your car is not very accurate. Even new cars are not required to be accurate. The accuracy is currently (since 2006) required to be within 4% of the actual speed. This means that when your speedo is reporting 100, it is just as likely that you were actually doing 96. Many interstate highways have points which allow you to 'test' your speedometer's accuracy against one of the speed detectors.

Secondly, the infringement letters often show two figures, a 'detected speed' and a slightly lower 'alleged speed' at which you are being charged. It is not uncommon for this reduction to be around 5-10%.

With these two factors, it is possible for you to be clocked at 115, 'alleged' to be travelling at 110 in a 100 zone, and have your speedo registering as high as 120.

If you did not notice that your speedo is indicating that you are currently travelling at 20% above the posted limit, you deserve to get a letter in the mail.

Finally, speed camera placement is tightly regulated. It normally requires that the camera be on a stretch of road without a decline (or incline) and the camera must be away from any change of speed limit. If you missed the change in speed limit, there is a good chance you have missed more than one sign before reaching the camera.

As a fan of F1, I recall many post-race interviews where a driver involved in a crash has blamed the other driver. This is because the other driver did something that was unexpected. An advantage of speed limits is that it makes it easier to judge distance between cars and other factors if you have a good idea of what speed the other car is travelling it. Driving 10ks under the speed limit can be just as unsafe as travelling 10ks over the speed limit.

If the motorists calling for the removal of speed cameras truly want to insist that it is done as a 'revenue raiser', they should be encouraging every motorist to aim for 5ks UNDER the posted limit. If they are right, the revenue will dry up and the state budgets will have a massive hole to fill.

As for the complaints about constantly changing speed limits, would you be happier if they rounded then all down to the lower speed? If so, call your local member of parliament and take it up with them.
regards
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 9:02:20 PM

I have to go up North for a meeting next week, so I will be going from the Gold Coast airport in to Byron,and then we will be doing a small bit of driving up and down the highway, towards the border and then back in to Byron. So I will be interested to see how far the roadworks have progressed in the last 2 months
Jaylee1
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2015 8:56:12 AM

regards wrote:

I have to go up North for a meeting next week, so I will be going from the Gold Coast airport in to Byron,and then we will be doing a small bit of driving up and down the highway, towards the border and then back in to Byron. So I will be interested to see how far the roadworks have progressed in the last 2 months

not too much - driving thru at night is unpleasant, what with all the lane changes and painted-over arrows.

Ewingsdale Rd is still a nightmare - regardless of what time you drive along it. Construction of the new hospital makes it worse

I did read the St Helena tunnel will be open by October (assuming they mean 2015)

JT
bender
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:15:07 PM

I drove up to Sawtell a couple of weekends ago for a chilli festival and there was quite a bit of road works going. Most of it isn't due to finished for a few years though. Biggest bottlenecks between Sydney and the Bluesfest site are Coffs Harbour and the Byron Bay area. The rest of it currently flows quite well for the most part.
zyfert
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:02:04 AM

The Byron works are due to be completed later this year and will make travel to Bluesfest much easier next year.
The multi lane freeway will extend from Ballina to Brisbane.
Coffs and the rest...???