Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Highway Landmarks Options
nickfromsydney
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:36:08 PM
Groups: Guest

Every year we drive up to Byron Bay from Sydney, and while parts of the journey are downright boring (i.e. the bits close to Sydney), there are some landmarks and points which hold a special significance. Whatever the reason, they make the journey a little bit more interesting and build up the anticipation as the familiar sights I haven't seen for the past 12 months keep popping up... and while the highway undergoes more upgrades eventually all these little things will probably be bypassed.

Just wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about when I mention some of these, or if you have some of your own:

- the "Sudden Comfort" motel - (Comfort can strike without warning I guess.)
- the floating under a Urunga sign - (Nothing too significant about it, just every year I go past and think "haha, yeah I remember that".)
- the dilapidated shack/barn 5kms out of Grafton - (Leaning on a tree, it looks worse and worse (or better and better?) every year.)
- the "Petrel" station - (Genius.)
- the big white church/chapel/thing beside the road at the top of a hill before a left-hand turn - (I remember a few years back we were caught in a traffic jam there. Balls.)
- "Ogres Beware!" - (I didn't see it there this year... disappointing. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?)

- the Moorland Tuckerwagon/Caltex - (This used to just be the place I'd stopped a couple of times for petrol and air, but this year I got a Super Burger. Top stuff.)
- Macadamia Castle - (Depends which way you leave/enter Byron Bay though.)
- Macleay River Hotel - (Just near Fredo's Famous Pies, we always stop for a midi of black).
- Fredo's Famous Pies - (Always stop there for lunch on the way home.)
- Jacarandah Motel - (Nothing too special about it other than the name. It's near Grafton and is on a hill.)
- the Star Hotel, Macksville - (Stopped there for a wizz and a stretch once, and that's enough for it to hold a place in my heart.)

Just the little things like that make the journey for me. As I drive past I can think to myself "Why, hello again. It's very good to see you, I'm on my way to Byron Bay."

Oh, and Bald Knob Rd and Blackadder Rd. Love 'em.