Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

go easy Options
buckley484
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:10:25 AM
Groups: Member

to all the haters of the harper and relentless 7...u all knew he would not be playing his classics you all knew that he was going to be playing new stuff..so why the eff are you all complaining...it was amazing rock blues..i think sometimes people liek to ocmplain for the sake of it
corny74
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:51:51 PM

buckley484 wrote:
to all the haters of the harper and relentless 7...u all knew he would not be playing his classics you all knew that he was going to be playing new stuff..so why the eff are you all complaining...it was amazing rock blues..i think sometimes people liek to ocmplain for the sake of it
he of all people should know the importance of crowd interaction a big fat let down.......................
jess.jess
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 9:37:50 AM

I couldn't agree more. I only saw Ben Harper on the Saturday night, but the lack of interaction with the crowd killed it for me.
i don't even recall him smiling or seeming to be very happy to be there either.
jackfinn
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 10:34:25 AM

very boring.
Captain420
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 7:48:18 PM

He was quite disappointing - nuff said
hanjk004
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 11:41:39 PM

Def more crowd interaction needed. It is totally a ben thing to do to only play his old stuff and that would have been fine with me but it made the idea of crowd interaction even more important. The crowd weren't familiar with the songs so he really needed to tell us what they were about or talks to us or something. From where i was it sounded like no one was listening and so many people were talking that it sounded like a party which just made the situation even worse. An emerging artist would not have that little interaction with the crowd or they would not be successful as an entertainer so I don't see why it should be any different when you are massively famous and people have been standing there for hours waiting for you. He is still my boy though. will just have to go overseas to him again soon!
bluescale
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:20:24 PM

I starting to wonder what people think crowd interaction is. Mr Harpers music speaks volumes to those that are actually listening. Maybe some expect too much of him, and not enough of themselves. Maybe some expect him to call out there name and invite them for a sing along. All i expect is, for you wingers to to not be their next time, which means more room for me and others who appreciate music and not idol worship.
HowlinBindog
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:54:23 PM
Groups: Guest

bluescale wrote:
I starting to wonder what people think crowd interaction is. Mr Harpers music speaks volumes to those that are actually listening. Maybe some expect too much of him, and not enough of themselves. Maybe some expect him to call out there name and invite them for a sing along. All i expect is, for you wingers to to not be their next time, which means more room for me and others who appreciate music and not idol worship.

I agree. Why does an artist have to interact with the crowd? Because the crowd demands it? Seems like a good reason not to. Ive seen thousands of gigs over the last 30 yrs and some do and some don't. Try Jeff Beck and Clapton for example. Barely a word was spoken between songs on recent tours.

A wise man once said "if you have nothing to say, say nothing"A vast majority of musicians either say very little or follow a tightly rehearsed script

Plenty of comment about Ben H not appearing to be very happy. Id suggest if he wasn't happy it was because of the ignorant "play something we can sing along to's" in the crowd yelling out for there favourites songs. Songs that hes been playing for over a decade. Over and over and over and over and over and over again

How about embracing an artists creativity instead of treating them as an all dancing, all singing, all interacting human Ipod

I spoke to one punter who was extremely pissed off that he hadn't played any of her favourite songs and extremely vocal about how she know felt about him

He's quite prickly at the best of times and who can blame him with the way people interact with him.

Hes just a guitar player people, he's not the messiah. Although with the way people carry on, you'd think he'd been a very naughty boy

"But Dog" I hear people say..."hes like... Oh my god...he's Ben Harper... Oh my god...oh my god...oh my god!!!"

For daisies sake, this is not video hits
kaydubbleu
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:06:09 PM

HowlinBindog wrote:
bluescale wrote:

I agree. Why does an artist have to interact with the crowd? Because the crowd demands it? Seems like a good reason not to. Ive seen thousands of gigs over the last 30 yrs and some do and some don't. Try Jeff Beck and Clapton for example. Barely a word was spoken between songs on recent tours.

A wise man once said "if you have nothing to say, say nothing"A vast majority of musicians either say very little or follow a tightly rehearsed script

Plenty of comment about Ben H not appearing to be very happy. Id suggest if he wasn't happy it was because of the ignorant "play something we can sing along to's" in the crowd yelling out for there favourites songs. Songs that hes been playing for over a decade. Over and over and over and over and over and over again

How about embracing an artists creativity instead of treating them as an all dancing, all singing, all interacting human Ipod

I spoke to one punter who was extremely pissed off that he hadn't played any of her favourite songs and extremely vocal about how she know felt about him

He's quite prickly at the best of times and who can blame him with the way people interact with him.

Hes just a guitar player people, he's not the messiah. Although with the way people carry on, you'd think he'd been a very naughty boy

"But Dog" I hear people say..."hes like... Oh my god...he's Ben Harper... Oh my god...oh my god...oh my god!!!"

For daisies sake, this is not video hits

I fully agree with both of ya, hes just a guy playing music with a new record and newish band so they probably dont even play the top10 ben harper songs the fans want to see... I will happily get the new Ben Harper album, and I think he played a strong set on the Sat when I saw him, but completely tuning the fans out and playing songs nobody has ever heard before should not be a headline act at Bluesfest... I felt more connected to Saltwater Band and Tinariwen then Ben Harper, and I never heard of them before this years lineup.

Honestly I would have preferred to see The Bamboos on that stage Mon Night.. I just guess that it would be part of some deal to get him here in the first place, he had to get 2 nights for the new album..

finleym
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:44:06 PM

Nepotism plain and simple...and I like Ben Harper and his music, but for the 20th Anniversary to have him for two nights, one of which closing with a new band and new songs didn't help expand the festivals range of acts this year.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:46:04 PM

I had originally planned to catch the Talented One's set on Saturday but the reports on the crowd and the thought of trudging through the mud decided me against it. I haven't heard anything to convince me it was a bad decision. It must have been something in the air because Lucinda Williams was a personality free zone in Crossroads and I haven't heard tell of the Talented One needing to read his own lyrics!

I don't think these artists need to have a patter to get across- think back to Harper's Sunday night set in 2001- his opening remarks re Nat Young teaching him to surf had the crowd instantly on side and there was no need for a rote patter thereafter. I rate that set one of the two best performances I've seen.

Harper's set on Greedfest Monday was enough to convince me I'd never waste time with him again- from what I've heard he stayed on stage this time rather than show contempt for the paying punter by continually disappearing back stage during songs.

namaste
RR
richo
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:38:48 PM

His demeanour on stage was puzzling. I only caught part of the Monday set which from all accounts was his more pleasant set. He's a guy who I've always thought took himself a little too seriously, but passionate about what he does, and passionate about sharing it with the audience. But what I saw wasn't passion or even a guy taking himself too seriously. It was pure self-indulgence. And it's got nothing to do with banter... couldn't really care less if an artist chooses to tell the crowd what they had for breakfast or not.

Ben Harper has repeatedly said that this is a band, not a side project. He's said that he wants to do it hard, building momentum from the ground up rather than rest on the laurels of his name. Yet despite this, his performance at Bluesfest and other high profile festivals like Jazzfest are promoted as Ben Harper & Relentless 7. He accepted two headline slots at Bluesfest this year, including the coveted Monday night. Despite saying he wants to start afresh from humble beginnings, he's clearly not afraid to cash in on his own name, and I think if he wants to go this route then he owes the crowd something more than two identical sets of self-indulgent rock.

That said, the music was slightly better than what I had heard. Only slightly... but I will probably check out the album.
buckley484
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:11:10 PM

oh jees everyone chill out seriously...like the music or dont..i dont think ben cares..he has enough artistry as a musician to do what he wants in his music..yes thats right its HIS music not yours..not the girl who has been screaming burn one down...jees some people complain that people like jack johnson play the same s...t all day long but as soon as a artist like ben wants to try different things he gets rubbished for it...and so what if he doesnt give a huge story about his day or anything like that..he is there to give the people rock and roll not indulge their fantasies about being part of his day to day life....
chill and listen to the rock

ps....kudos to ben for choosing an amazing list of artists to precede..and for giving an aspiring artist like grace woodroofe a chance to share her music with the world...not many artists give people chances like he does(he has helped jack,grace,ayo,tom freund,)