Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

RIP Bo Dollis Options
acb
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:14:22 AM
Groups: Member

Just saw that Big Chief Bo Dollis has died. Very sad.

I still have the mini tambourine I caught many years back when The Wild Magnolias were at the fest.

Would love to see June Yamagishi again at a future BF.....

Andrew
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:00:07 PM
Groups: Administration

A sad day.

Bo was one of new orleans greatest ever singers

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2015/01/bo_dollis_longtime_big_chief_o.html

repete
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 5:22:40 PM

acb wrote:
Just saw that Big Chief Bo Dollis has died. Very sad.

I still have the mini tambourine I caught many years back when The Wild Magnolias were at the fest.

Would love to see June Yamagishi again at a future BF.....

Andrew

Treasure that tambourine acb. I agree with Peter Noble, Bo was one of the greatest New Orleans singers, if not one of the greatest of all time. He had such a unique voice, and the cultural tradition he was from is one of the world's most fascinating. Wonderful memories of the Wild Maggies at bluesfest back in 2003. The last time I saw him sing was in 2007 at jazzfest, with the late great Marva Wright. I'm thinking of his good friend Monk Boudreaux now. RIP Bo...you deserve your rest, up in heaven, meetin' the boys on the battlefront. I'm really effin' sad....

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:34:25 PM

Sad news.
Missed him back in 03 as I always got a 3 day ticket back then.
One of my biggest regrets would be missing the chance to see him live.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
repete
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 11:46:56 PM

c0kebloke wrote:
Sad news.

At least you've got 1313 Hoodoo Street...what an effin' great album!! I forget I've got it for maybe a year or more, then it percolates up into my consciousness and it's on constant rotation for weeks. I love the way the voodoo works :)) I'm on a work contract again for 6 months, so it's back in the car's CD player tomorrow.

BTW, Bo is this year's jazzfest official poster...a spooky coincidence. His funeral in NOLA and the subsequent second line will be massive. A giant has left us.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:00:55 AM

repete wrote:
c0kebloke wrote:
Sad news.

At least you've got 1313 Hoodoo Street...what an effin' great album!! I forget I've got it for maybe a year or more, then it percolates up into my consciousness and it's on constant rotation for weeks. I love the way the voodoo works :)) I'm on a work contract again for 6 months, so it's back in the car's CD player tomorrow.

BTW, Bo is this year's jazzfest official poster...a spooky coincidence. His funeral in NOLA and the subsequent second line will be massive. A giant has left us.

What is it about that album?
Atmospheric & a little eerie but always rather upbeat with something to get the fingers tappin'
Loaned it to a mate who rang me as he had his first listen with an offer to buy...no sale!
I'm with you as I put it away a while but always get the urge to get back to 1313hoodoo street for another listen or five.
Rather fitting Bo is this years jazz fest poster boy.
I was thinking to myself when I heard "I wonder what kind of huge send off will that be?"

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:06:18 AM
Groups: Administration

this statement has been released by Peter Noble, owner AIM Records

' I am so sad to hear of the passing of Bo Dollis. Bo suffered from a stroke not too long after Katrina, and his voice, the mighty voice, in my opinion the best amongst so many great singers from New Orleans is now silent forever, after being
slowed, but not bowed down. Almost 20 years ago I took The Wild Magnolias into Sound Services studio in New Orleans, and co-produced the album 1313 Hoodoo St with Ronald Jones, son of New Orleans legend Jo Jones- their first proper studio album in 20 years, since the seminal They Call Us Wild
To do this we assembled a band, as at the time the Magnolias had what could be at best called a 'pick up ' band, helped select songs, put together arrangements, and then put my heart and soul into making a record to bring back to public awareness, what I felt was one of New Orleans most important artists. I am proud of this recording, it is still talked about as one of New Orleans best. I am also proud to have become immersed in Mardi Gras Indian culture through Bo Dollis & The Wild Magnolias kindness - and to have been honoured to attend functions at their home turf the H&R Bar. From this recording , I got to see the Wild Magnolias featuring Bo come back to the forefront of New Orleans touring artists , and play all over the world again, including a number of times at Bluesfest. AIM records was also honoured by being given the opportunity to release their original recordings in 2002 - Thirty Years & Still Wild. You know Bo was quite a character, and a very beautiful loved man. He was also a minister and offered to marry me and my long term partner Annika,whenever we were ready. His voice was magic. I feel so sorry to hear of his passing ,and send to his family my condolences especially Rita his long term partner, and son Bo jr., who is carrying on with pride the name and performing group - long live Bo Dollis & The Wild Magnolias'.

Peter Noble
Aim Records/Bluesfest

Thanks Peter
Forum
RaucousReg
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2015 3:22:14 PM

repete
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:32:38 PM

RaucousReg wrote:

Thanks Reg.

In my humble opinion, Bo Dollis and the Wild Magnolias have been the most significant and culturally unique act to have played fest.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen