Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Recent gigs you have been to/are going to? Options
regards
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 9:33:32 AM
Groups: Member

nelson7007 wrote:
Flegal08 wrote:
Saw Matt Andersen at the Milk Factory Last Night in Brisbane, wow wee what a show from the big man, what a voice and he plays the guitar sublimely. Applause God I love live music!!!!!!

Only problem it was a very small room he played in, made worse by the people talking and whistling through his performance. Shame on you

Same problem at Hobart gig last night. Big man, big voice, great set almost spoiled by the yap yap yapping from a group that seemed oblivious to what was going on elsewhere in the room. Despite this he was a joy to watch. And a shout out too for Shaun Kirk as support. Played his heart out.

I introduced a term to my JazzFest friends for these type of rude self indulgent people, several years ago.

They are called Chatting F#wits. But our polite term when discussing them is CFWS
humanracin
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 10:51:32 AM

The Cult put on a fantastic show in Brisbane.
Billy Duffy is my favourtie guitarist ever.
My partner and I ended up with Ian Astbury's Tamborine and a Guitar Pick each from Billy :)
regards
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 11:35:08 AM

humanracin wrote:

My partner and I ended up with Ian Astbury's Tamborine and a Guitar Pick each from Billy :)

Well done.

I would like to have seen the Cult this weekend as it has been a very long time since I last saw them, but I got given a ticket to the Queenscliff Music festival, so I am heading down there as we speak.
cushlamay
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 1:47:43 PM

humanracin wrote:

lucky you, that tambourine got some use :)
I went to the Powerstation gig last Monday. great seeing them in an intimate venue.
Ian still one of the sexiest leads in town too
Flegal08
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:37:35 AM

Just got tickets to see Don Henley and his 15 piece band, as well as Jewel and Richard Clapton.

Also picked up tickets for the Vanda and Young concert at the Tivoli.

Will I never know silence without mental violence?
mpember
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:49:25 AM

After Ben Harper was announced as a headliner for Queenscliff Music Festival, I sold my ticket to his Melbourne show and bought a ticket to QMF. The range of music at the festival was great.

Highlights were:
Ben Harper and The Innocent Criminals
The Harpoonist and The Axe Murderer
Kylie Auldist
Sweethearts
Tullara
Paul Kelly and Charlie Owen
george
Julien Baker
Ash Grunwald
Doug Anthony Allstars
Alpine

Kylie Audist did a great tribute to Sharon Jones and Paul Kelly did a nice tribute to Leonard Cohen.

While I wasn't exited by Peter Garrett's new project, the crowd seemed to enjoy it. They cheered loudest when he 'danced' or sang a couple of Oils tracks.

Any acts would fit easily into a BBBF schedule and draw/hold a crowd.
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:49:57 PM

Coming up this week:
Angel Olsen
Garbage
regards
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:32:09 PM

mpember wrote:
After Ben Harper was announced as a headliner for Queenscliff Music Festival, I sold my ticket to his Melbourne show and bought a ticket to QMF. The range of music at the festival was great.

Highlights were:
Ben Harper and The Innocent Criminals
The Harpoonist and The Axe Murderer
Kylie Auldist
Sweethearts
Tullara
Paul Kelly and Charlie Owen
george
Julien Baker
Ash Grunwald
Doug Anthony Allstars
Alpine

Kylie Audist did a great tribute to Sharon Jones and Paul Kelly did a nice tribute to Leonard Cohen.

While I wasn't exited by Peter Garrett's new project, the crowd seemed to enjoy it. They cheered loudest when he 'danced' or sang a couple of Oils tracks.

Any acts would fit easily into a BBBF schedule and draw/hold a crowd.

It was a good weekend despite some logistical failings by the organisers. And the bloody cold wind.

I also enjoyed

Jordie Lane

Liz Stringer

The cool young All girl big band Sweethearts. We always enjoy and have seen them evolve over the years.

Sarah Carol and the left wing. Liked her and Chris,s young bloke on bass.

Son Little. Would love to see him with a band rather than a laptop

Eileen Jewell. I loved the lead guitarist and the whole gig was good. And she is a lovely lass.

Matt Angry Anderson. was good as always and is a nice bloke to boot. Some friends who have not seen him before were wrapped.

We did not mind the Peter Garret gig it was good to see his daughters sing with him, and finishing with the always poignant Dead Heart was great.

Paul And Charlie were good as expected and we knew it would mellow. It would be nice to see Charlie play with Paul in a full band and see him cut loose like he can do so well.

Geoff Achison with Chris Wilson was great as expected. And the crowd loved it.

We saw small portions of both Steve Polz shows and he is very entertaining and play his guitar very well. Also had a chat to him in the crowd and he is cool.

Saw a small bit of Sweet Jean and enjoyed that.

Young Bill Crighton and Band were good.

Angry Anderson was fine on Sunday but it was a more subdued set which suited our addled state.

We enjoyed Ben Harper but it was fairly crowded at the cold big tent, as for some strange reason they only had him playing at the end. And the other stages empty.

A good local band in the warmer tent would have been another fine option.

A very good weekend and from talking to people the couple of easily fixed issues are going to rectified and I will be back, as a friend has a place at Point Lonsdale.

And we have been going for years when I am around.
mpember
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:01:57 PM

regards wrote:
It was a good weekend despite some logistical failings by the organisers. And the bloody cold wind.

The scheduling did leave a bit to be desired. As fun as Vince Peach was, it would have been nice to see that space used to promote smaller artists or buskers. It was near-impossible to 'discover' an act in 'The Pavillion' due to the space filling quickly with seated patrons.

regards wrote:
We saw small portions of both Steve Polz shows and he is very entertaining

I have to admit that Poltz is an 'acquired taste' and I did not acquire it. ;)

regards wrote:
for some strange reason they only had him playing at the end. And the other stages empty.

Since BHIC was likely a last-minute adjustment, it may have reduced their budget for other acts. I thought their schedule needed a bit more thought. There were a few points where almost all of the main on-site stages were silent. And if you are going to close the event at 5:30pm (and most stages at 3:30) on the Sunday, you should be running every stage from 11am. Without knowing what their expectation is of the crowd, they may have expected the patrons to have a sleep in and wanted to avoid empty crowds.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:14:09 AM

mpember wrote:
regards wrote:

The scheduling did leave a bit to be desired. As fun as Vince Peach was, it would have been nice to see that space used to promote smaller artists or buskers. It was near-impossible to 'discover' an act in 'The Pavillion' due to the space filling quickly with seated patrons.

regards wrote:
We saw small portions of both Steve Polz shows and he is very entertaining

I have to admit that Poltz is an 'acquired taste' and I did not acquire it. ;)

regards wrote:
for some strange reason they only had him playing at the end. And the other stages empty.

Since BHIC was likely a last-minute adjustment, it may have reduced their budget for other acts. I thought their schedule needed a bit more thought. There were a few points where almost all of the main on-site stages were silent. And if you are going to close the event at 5:30pm (and most stages at 3:30) on the Sunday, you should be running every stage from 11am. Without knowing what their expectation is of the crowd, they may have expected the patrons to have a sleep in and wanted to avoid empty crowds.

Agree about the Vince Peach area and I ignored the Pavillion for reasons you stated, plus it is a dry area.

Polz is indeed different but he put a smile on my face.

Scheduling was a bit strange, I understand what they were up to on Saturday as they used to just about stop everything for an hour at Dinner time to encourage people to go and eat in town.

Sunday made no sense. The Festival had been sold out for ages so they knew what crowd they had. When I left the site which a bit later than most as I had to do some stuff all they had done was take the sound system from the second biggest stage, which did not take long. So there is no reason why a good local band could not have played there whilst Ben was playing and that would not have cost much. And I know what some of them charge.

Having only one location selling booze tickets was moronic and having the bar closest to the smallest stage selling the expensive beer only, was blatant cash grab, which did not get me.

I was a guest and don't like to complain, but I am only repeating what dozens of people said to me, and I agree.

Apart from the breeze funnelling in to the biggest tent we had a great time, but it could easily been better.
mpember
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:40:16 PM

regards wrote:
The Festival had been sold out for ages so they knew what crowd they had.

My comment was more about the 'type' of crowd and not the size. Just as BF saw with their first attempt at a Monday event, it is possible that QMF were afraid that a portion of the crowd would simply turn up late and treat the other acts as an extended support lineup. As is sadly becoming the norm with some patrons, the support bands are increasingly dismissed or overlooked. I recall BF using the desire to get a prime spot in the tent as a way of exposing fans to an act that they may otherwise have overlooked. Taj Mahal is not likely to have been on many of the iTunes purchase histories, but once he left the stage, the crowd was still singing his lyrics.

I guess the 45-60 minute gaps between sets made it near impossible to expect a crowd to turn up early or remain at the same tent between acts. This is where the 30 minute turnaround for BF sets reduces the chances of someone opting to head to another stage at the risk of losing their spot in the tent.

I hope QMF learn from the experience and aim high for next year. With BBBF becoming too big a financial (and even physical) commitment for many, there is room for the smaller festivals to fill the gap and attract a new audience. Lost Lands has shown that it is possible to attract a generation that may have outgrown the BDO and Falls events and are looking for an event that is not taxing on the hip pocket or the hip joint.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:56:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dnsp8dW9M
Yes the Bluesfest Tuesday gig enabled Leon Russell fans to view him live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
mgwfall
Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2016 8:03:34 PM

nelson7007 wrote:
Flegal08 wrote:
Saw Matt Andersen at the Milk Factory Last Night in Brisbane, wow wee what a show from the big man, what a voice and he plays the guitar sublimely. Applause God I love live music!!!!!!

Only problem it was a very small room he played in, made worse by the people talking and whistling through his performance. Shame on you

Same problem at Hobart gig last night. Big man, big voice, great set almost spoiled by the yap yap yapping from a group that seemed oblivious to what was going on elsewhere in the room. Despite this he was a joy to watch. And a shout out too for Shaun Kirk as support. Played his heart out.

Saw him at The Basement last night. Great show, but same problem with the talkers & whistlers.

Thought the sound wasn't turned up enough to drown out the talkers (hope they haven't had a new residential building built near them & are having noise complaints).

Loved the person who took the opportunity of a quiet song to start a conversation about what sounded like a work related issue. And a couple of the blokes whistling & other loud noises had serious man crushes on Matt.

Shaun Kirk opener, massive disappointment, music was fine, but weirdest opening set I've seen for a while, talked soooo much. Second song, ambling many minute intro into how he got into music, later got upset that not many cheered when he mentioned Sydney in a song & made the audience rehearse & do it again & another rambling story about getting out of Melbourne & lol going to Adelaide. Completely lost the audience, you could hear the level chatter rise. Got them back when he played his songs. (And nice when he joined Matt on harmonica for a couple of songs)
eileenk9
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2016 8:05:14 AM

I'm seeing Coldplay at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane tomorrow night. Should be interesting ..
bambambam
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2016 2:43:54 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
I'm seeing Coldplay at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane tomorrow night. Should be interesting ..

That will be a big gig, please let us know how it goes.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
humanracin
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2016 3:53:34 PM

Saw Garbage last night, first time I've seen them live even though I've loved their music for 20 odd years.
They put on a fantastic show, Shirley Manson is a great front-woman!
pod2006
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 5:57:26 AM

pod2006 wrote:
off to see Joe camilleri/ black sorrows at lizottes in early dec 16...
Regards replied:
Enjoy the show. Gus the drummer is am old mate of mine....I have the Black Sorrows playing at a charity gig I help run in Feb at my local sports ground. So that will be cool"

Post mortem: Joe was suffering from a head cold, but that did not stop him and The BS's cookin' up a storm. Energetic and enthusiastic performance. Great night. As a tribute/remembrance to recently deceased Daddy Cool bass player and friend the band played "brown eyed girl". Some later, more playful Mick Jagger banter was nailed with a stirring, "Satisfaction." Joe was out the front to sell and autograph his 48th vinyl & cd's.
bucetti1
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 6:41:03 AM

Jimmy barnes last night.
Brilliant night of spoken word and poignant songs.
The next installment will be unmissable.

When they go low-we go high.
Flegal08
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 10:28:35 AM

Off to see the Evening Sons at the Brisbane Jazz Club Friday night.

"The Evening Sons. It's a new band! Featuring Australian blues’ luminaries Greg Baker, Coojee Timms and Mojo Webb, the band play pure, possibly raucous, vintage electric blues. They mix original material with favourites from their record collections – think Maxwell Street in Chicago circa 1953 crossed with Beale Street in Memphis circa 1948… All three of the fellas are very excited about this new opportunity to play authentic, gritty, no-compromise blues, the way it was!"

Sounds good and well worth the $15 entrance fee.

Will I never know silence without mental violence?
tedhadson
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 12:23:57 PM

Saw Catherine Britt at the Triffid in Brisbane yesterday. Great show.